North Devon line (was Eggesford July 2014)

Ramblin Rich

post-2828-0-84089600-1411416439_thumb.jpg

To Rich, Mudmagnet and others - North Devon Website undergoing an overhaul - part of a bigger gathering of photos - now the days drawing in, Ill get back onto website rehash and publicise when refreshed.

Tims right on the washing line - Id quite forgotten that it was a traditional plunger - driver or guard climb down and press the crossing start sequence button.

No matter - Eggesford is a magical place - showin my age as a young Devonbelle (15) - I was bowled over on first ever train ride on the line (6-11-82) on the last train to Torrington as the 15 Mk 1s with the two 31s hauled the train round the sweeping curve into the valley toward the station with acres of forest towering over the train and the small church - I thought this is Scotland!

Paul 

ps - shot I took as a tacker in Eggesford SB, when Billy the signalman let me in 16th June 1984

• Like 8

Thanks Paul, I've seen that picture on your website before, it's one of the inspirational pictures that caused my interest in the North Devon line in the first lplace

Not your main line scene, merely a quiet backwater looking to welcome locals and visitors alike.

:D

post-20303-0-80726300-1411578499_thumb.jpg
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

No worries bgman! I do like how the stations have been brightened up with many being adopted now, but I still imagine a layout set in the 80s with loco hauled passenger and freight with that down-at-heel look. Then I look at the new class 143 150 & 153 models and think the modern scene is attractive too..!

No worries bgman! I do like how the stations have been brightened up with many being adopted now, but I still imagine a layout set in the 80s with loco hauled passenger and freight with that down-at-heel look. Then I look at the new class 143 150 & 153 models and think the modern scene is attractive too..!

Yeoford station is kept very colourful throughout the year mainly by one volunteer green fingered individual which hopefully brightens all those who use the station or just pass through.

It could present itself as the subject for a model in its heyday with both platforms in full use, with a canteen facility on the down platform ( towards Barnstaple ) and a busy freight yard. It has been fairly well documented in several tomes so for the avid modeller I'm sure there would be great scope for a busy layout.

Happy modelling !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yeoford would make a good location but it was very extensive, ever if you use the road bridge as one end of the layout. I know of an EM layout of Yeoford set in LSWR days, think it's actually by John Nicholls (who wrote the Irwell Press North Devon Line book). The advantage of that era was somewhat shorter trains!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
Guess who started that thread? ;) I wanted to know about traffic in the 1980s for a layout scheme, which is still in the offing once we've moved house, I finish my current study module, install a new patient scanning machine at work, rewrite procedures to suit, train the staff.... Well, sometime anyway!

Paul, I don't know of a general thread covering the Barnstaple line, feel free to add to this & I can change the title to suit, or start a new thread and I will pitch in.

Tim (CK) that's an interesting article link, first time I've seen the written intention to use class 158 units in the medium term. I hope it will be the 3-car sets (at least).

Edited by Ramblin Rich

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A few photos taken in 1985. The main building hasnt changed all that much but the signal box long gone as has loco hauled on the branch plus nowadays a few more weeds!!

post-1557-0-04220700-1431603777_thumb.jpg

and a class 33 hauled service

post-1557-0-18822100-1431603784_thumb.jpg

and a DMU passing the loco hauled with the box just visible

post-1557-0-88125800-1431603788_thumb.jpg

I know there is the North Devon line freight thread but I cant recall if there is a genral one for the line as have plenty more photos that i am currently scanning in.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Lovely stuff, just the kind of thing I'm wanting to portray on the layout I'm intending to build.... (garage reorganisation proceeding well, can see some floor at last!)

I don't mind renaming this thread, or start another general North Devon line one - but please do continue posting! :)

• RMweb Gold

Lovely stuff, just the kind of thing I'm wanting to portray on the layout I'm intending to build.... (garage reorganisation proceeding well, can see some floor at last!)

I don't mind renaming this thread, or start another general North Devon line one - but please do continue posting! :)

Quite happy as to which ever you prefer to do. I will happily post more photos.

Ian

Perhaps the owner of the station building could be persuaded to do some weeding!

Brian.

Nice thought however the last time I visited when I was working the house was occupied by an elderly person and not able to carry out such a task, you weren't to know :)

Just out of interest, earlier in my career looking after this area (as the Area Building Control Officer )I was called to a site close by which had the original timber signal box donated? to them. It was proposed to used for a public sleeping area and with very mixed emotions I had to decline it's use (railway modeller/enthusiast vs. safety) Please don't ask why but I had to say no with rather a heavy heart :(

I never did find out what happened to it after that. Sometimes, just sometimes, my work did get in the way of my interests but at least I've never suffered a sleepless night and happy to say I've also given lots of advice when asked by someone wanting to convert their loft or garage for a model railway. Hope I haven't rattled on too much here.

Seen today at Crediton Station........

post-20303-0-40652200-1432047103_thumb.jpg

Not sure who's on the hanging committee but the gallows are looking impressive!

• Like 1

Hmmmm - does that mean the existing footbridge is going to be replaced...?

That footbridge looks temporary to me. 

I think the existing station footbridge is listed, so perhaps it is undergoing repair?

cheers

Hmmmm - does that mean the existing footbridge is going to be replaced...?

No Rich, the original is purely for locals and the new one for grockles !

"This is a local station for local people Tubs !!!!"

On a serious note (for a change) I was on the train when I took this but I'm going into town tomorrow and I'll ask the Railtrack guys, nosey so and so that I am and let you know, hopefully with some pics if anyone wants some. My guess is that the original overbridge is probably going to have a refurb/ tart-up ?

• Like 1