North Devon line (was Eggesford July 2014)

Ramblin Rich

As the new Mrs Olddudders has just purchased a holiday cabin at Whiddon Down, we could do this trip in reverse!

Blimey, Whipem Down, that's not far from Newton Addit !

I'm about 6 miles from there, the Post Inn used to be an interesting watering hole on the odd occasion :)

• RMweb Gold

Blimey, Whipem Down, that's not far from Newton Addit !

I'm about 6 miles from there, the Post Inn used to be an interesting watering hole on the odd occasion :)

Whipem Down, eh? As newly-weds this may or may not be an issue.....

OTOH, in an earlier life, I did date a couple of girls who lived close to Fetcham Downs!

What a contrast between the Victorian architecture and current 'stations'.  How come our railways and ourselves have come to this!

Brian..

Simples..... Money !

Modern Railways has a picture of the first train on 15th May - a single coach 153.  It says it left with 108 passengers, most of them standing.  By comparison the Stagecoach service between Exeter and Okehampton is a double decker and usually has a handful of people on board.  I assume that the rail service is used my rail enthusiasts.

Simples..... Money !

Mine was rather a rhetorical question querying how the railways had got themselves in such a financial bind.  They seem to work from pay check to pay check with little in the bank (like a lot these days) and its amazing how the Victorians built such grand structures in minor locations at a time when money was counted in pennies.  Now there is more than pennies floating around and all they can come up with is something resembling an Anderson air raid shelter

Brian.

Edited by brianusa

• 2 months later...

A quiet sunny branch line ......

post-20303-0-36593100-1471383068.jpeg

post-20303-0-17291600-1471383081.jpeg

post-20303-0-31819800-1471383092.jpeg

It's a pleasant spot to just sit and take in the scent of the flowers and watch the bees go about their daily work :)

• Like 11

A quiet sunny branch line ......

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

It's a pleasant spot to just sit and take in the scent of the flowers and watch the bees go about their daily work :)

Indeed it is, I tried it a couple of weeks ago but all the people complaining just got on my nerves.

So I got back in the train cab and drove them all home!  :angel:

Lovely to see, especially given how 'murky' the weather got today!

Do you know who "London and South Western Railway Heritage" are? Can't find any reference on internet search...

Hi Rich,

Not sure either, I'm still asking around. The original seat suddenly disappeared last year and we thought it had been spirited away, which is hardly surprising considering the amount of folk using the line on the Ale Trail !

It re-appeared this year fully refurbished with the plaques firmly attached.

Brian

The "waiting room" also doubles up as a lending library for the benefit of travellers with a few shelves of used donated books and is a very well used facility.

The flowers are planted and tended by a local very competent green fingered resident both supplying the plants and his time freely for all to enjoy ( the station came third this year in the best kept station along the line - previous years it has won first prize ).

So there you have it a small very well used local station.

(I won't show you the other side of the tracks on the now disused Okehampton track platform !)

Never mind, it will come in handy for the route around Dawlish to Plymouth! Congrats to whomever takes the time to care.Brian

Hi Brian,

I think since the Dawlish collapse there was some consideration given at that time to revive the alternative route but I doubt I will see it in my time here.

We do tend to generally take care of the station as a village as it is a lifeline for many and well used thankfully.

Since my retirement a couple of years ago I sold my vehicle the very next day and now possess my "Old Gits Railcard" which has paid for itself tenfold and I must say I really do not miss driving one little bit !

Having got to know most of the train staff (and them me) I can honestly say it is always pleasurable and given what they have to "play" with to operate a service they do extremely well considering. I will happily pass on your comments to young John our green fingered gardener thank you.

Can't wait 'til it gets its full title Yeoford International !!! :) ( that's what I usually ask for when the guard wants to know where I'm bound for !)

Hmmm maybe not eh ?

Cheers for now :)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Do you know who "London and South Western Railway Heritage" are? Can't find any reference on internet search...

I suspect that this is associated with the group based at Crediton, who did the restoration and repainting in L&SWR colours. Some of the group are members of the Tarka Rail Association, so I would imagine that this is the background to the plaque you see at Yeoford.

• 2 months later...

An interesting destination blind on a set of 143' s 13.25 to Exmouth from my local station yesterday !

post-20303-0-65311200-1477852043_thumb.jpeg

I think someone is having a larf :))

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, you nip out for some shopping then these come along !

Did not expect that :)

Excuse the quality I just managed to capture them on my phone.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

On my visit last Autumn, I got the distinct feeling that the Polar Express people, who have capital and income, were rather squashing the enthusiasts, who by comparison do not. Compared to my previous visit in 2001, it felt a bit fragile.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

On my visit last Autumn, I got the distinct feeling that the Polar Express people, who have capital and income, were rather squashing the enthusiasts, who by comparison do not. Compared to my previous visit in 2001, it felt a bit fragile.

Interestingly I have had some contact with them, and they do have plans and aspirations, and the Polar Express does make them money.

• Like 1