Hailsham

I got the original plan from HERE While to me it doesn't seem like the most reliable looking site it was the only place I could find at the time for something to copy from.

On the 1928 Map provided by Dave Alongside the brickworks on the siding it also says engine shed could this be an original use??

Also looking at the 1952 map and the placement of the houses I can say the the Brickworks area is what is now the Industrial estate I referred to earlier

Gary

The Engine Shed went much, much earlier (1885 ish IIRC), it was a single road affair on the siding with the Cattle Dock. Part of the wall lasted until the end as it held up the Platform canopy.

• RMweb Gold

Hi dseagull,

Thanks for the info. Good to have another local commenting on it. I have a picture tucked away somewhere of a WC / BoB Class with only 1 coach behind it waiting in Hailsham. I didn't even realise that Hailsham had ever had an engine shed until seeing that reference as I had assumed that even when it was a Terminus in its early life locos would be stabled at Eastbourne.

I have had a quick look for that book but can't find any available at the moment so I guess I will have to keep an eye out for it.

With regards to the line not being built over until '85 I had always wondered why they didn't reinstate the line as it was that late. especially with how much they go on about it now.

My plan for a what-if would of been a single line terminus with the line northwards being closed as that is what I think would of happened since Hailsham station outlived the rest of the line anyway.

Gary

Re the bottom left siding heading south east it went to a brickworks (Burtenshaw & Green's). A 1874 map, when Hailsham was a terminus, shows another siding heading south west starting next to the goods shed which went to a kiln in an area called Brickfield. The head shunt is long especially the one heading north under the road bridge which doesn't seem to have any use. This was replicated at other stations on the line. Horam had 2 very long lines going nowhere and doing nothing. I wonder if they were laid in case the line was doubled as bridges etc were built to cater for 2 lines.

As mentioned elsewhere hindsight is a wonderful thing but boy could Hailsham do with a line to Eastbourne being reinstated but it's a bit late now.

As for running potential you could always pretend the line did get its 3rd rail as if it had it may well still exist today.

Gareth

• RMweb Gold

With regards to the line not being built over until '85 I had always wondered why they didn't reinstate the line as it was that late. especially with how much they go on about it now.

Sadly the early '80s were still an era of closures wherever possible. Woodside to Selsdon was one example, while I spent the first half of 1985 as Project Manager for closing Tunbridge Wells - Eridge....

Don't know if you use Facebook but I happened to come across a photo of Hailsham station in the "Disused Railways" facebook group earlier today.

The link may or may not work for you.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204570102239609&set=gm.348911785263374&type=1&theatre

Also a Thumper somewhere up the line.  The type Kernow do (http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/page/61/Class_205_Thumper_Unit - I believe you want K2004 or K2006)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204570203242134&set=gm.348915401929679&type=1&theater

• RMweb Gold

Thanks 'Nut,

Unfortunately despite the fact I am logged into Facebook neither of the images work for me however I like the look of the Thumper I will have to add one to the list.

I should have new plans done early next week. In the meantime my home layout has got itself a couple of new buildings for the yard. Now just mine and my sons birthdays to get out the way on Saturday and I'll be back on this project.

Gary

• RMweb Gold

Having clicked on the link it is a private group so I will have to be accepted as a member before I can see the images. I have sent a request.

Amazingly despite all the geeky stuff I have on Facebook this will be the first Railway related thing I have on there.

Gary

• RMweb Gold

Re the bottom left siding heading south east it went to a brickworks (Burtenshaw & Green's). A 1874 map, when Hailsham was a terminus, shows another siding heading south west starting next to the goods shed which went to a kiln in an area called Brickfield. The head shunt is long especially the one heading north under the road bridge which doesn't seem to have any use. This was replicated at other stations on the line. Horam had 2 very long lines going nowhere and doing nothing. I wonder if they were laid in case the line was doubled as bridges etc were built to cater for 2 lines.

As mentioned elsewhere hindsight is a wonderful thing but boy could Hailsham do with a line to Eastbourne being reinstated but it's a bit late now.

As for running potential you could always pretend the line did get its 3rd rail as if it had it may well still exist today.

Gareth

I don't think the north end siding is any sort of a headshunt. I would  need to look up the signalling diagram (probably available online through SRS) but it looks to me as though the up platform was probably signalled for down trains to be able to use it. So that siding would be a layby for down goods trains and make shunting the yard much easier.

• RMweb Gold

Can I ask what the disagree was for GRC??

RMweb is suffering a spate of unintended Disagrees at present, I see. Largely due to the mobile devices people read and write on being a bit marginal in operation, so we're told. I suspect this is just another example.

• RMweb Gold

RMweb is suffering a spate of unintended Disagrees at present, I see. Largely due to the mobile devices people read and write on being a bit marginal in operation, so we're told. I suspect this is just another example.

Fair enough. I did suspect it was a mistake. Just wanted to make sure. I'm sure GRC can confirm that when he sees the message

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks for the confirmation GRC that is what I thought.

Just thought I would pop in to let everyone know that this project is still alive. It's just that real life has got in the way of trains hopefully back with an update soon.

Gary

• 5 weeks later...

Gary,

I don't know if it's helpful to you or not but, the A.C.Elliott book is held in Hailsham library and one of our club members (Uckfield MRC) has built the station building in 7mm scale for a club layout I think the plans he drew up could be scaled to 4mm. The gentleman in question is on here and lives in Hailsham, his name is Ian Hopkins (and can be found in my friends list).

Kev

• RMweb Gold

Hi Kev,

That is very helpful thanks. I was looking blankly at AnyRail trying to work out putting the ideas I have down earlier. Unfortunately didn't get very far and ended up at the pub instead.

However modelling is back in full swing and I finally have a layout which includes actual track!!

Gary

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's right I've finally pulled myself away from my roundy-roundy long enough to do some modular work.

For xmas santa brought me the A.C. Elliot book on the cuckoo line giving me something to work from so a new track plan has been devised and a way of getting all the track cheap (see free) once it is finalised.

So first a the real track plan for Hailsham:

post-22762-0-69351700-1491924889_thumb.jpg

So with that I measured up what I could do and decided on 10ft x 2ft. This has now extended to 10ft x 2.5ft so I present Hailsham V2:

post-22762-0-91793800-1491924897_thumb.jpg

So please let me know what you think. The baseboard drawn out meets modular standards so I could in theory get it printed and start work on the baseboards next week!

As always if anyone wants a play here's a download of the plan in AnyRail format I have removed all download links except for the final plan

Gary

Looking at the original plan there's a distinct "curvature" along the track plan whereas yours is very straight.  I'm not sure whether this was for ease of planning and whether the finished item will have that subtle curve, or not?

If not planned, if you added a slight angle to the board end bends (say 10 degrees) this would then allow you to bend the whole track plan slightly along a very big arc - and small additional boards could be built as extensions (even just a foot long) to bring it all back straight again would - in my 'umble opinion - improve things.

What is the platform length?  Just thinking ahead to "modularity" if your platform is only set for two coaches, for example, that may restrict its use with other boards particularly being single track unless it is part of a branch line.  Of course we can't all have 12 carriage expresses stopping everywhere so smaller stations are very important as well.

Question, on the right you have two points that lead nowhere - is the top right meant to be double track or a headshunt, similarly bottom right I assume is a siding?

• RMweb Gold

Hi 'Nut,

I left out the curve for ease of planning / building, although I do see how it could improve things so I'll have to think about this.

One platform will be just over 2ft long and the other about 3.5 ft plus a cattle dock which is the lower right siding, the additional point on this siding is what was left after another siding was removed, what was left looked like a catch point the old layout can be seen in this image from the disused stations website http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/h/hailsham/hailsham_alsop_old%28by9.1906%293.jpg

The top point is where a headshunt carried on that I was going to lay some track for but forgot to add it in. This will not run to te end of the board although I could run as a double track that end with an optional single track convertor.

Gary

A simple - even 1ft - converter which has double track at one end (in the right position) then a slight slew to the central point for single track, and slight offset for the headshunt finishing a couple of inches short of the join, would add flexibility to the layout meaning it could remain a prototypical single track at that end, but could also join up to a double track module as well (remember all tracks at 90 degrees to the board ends).

It's also not much work or expense, and can easily be "left in the car" if not required or in fact used on its own as a standalone "double to single terminator" elsewhere within a modular setup.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dutch_Master

Thanks for your observations ill answer them in order.

1st my main worry for the station is the "station area" itself ie: platforms station buildings and goods yard. Having measured the images I have the down platform was only 526ft long which scales to 6.9ft in 00 so although I have only got 3.5ft for it I think I could live with it

• reintroduce the missing curvature from the original, as stated earlier
         Will do
  • simplify the track plan if length is an issue
         I think I could live with the track plan however I would be interested to hear any ideas about simplifying you may have
  • you have very little room for shunting. Plenty of Standards-compatible Code 75 points, but not a lot of track length to hold the shunter and stock while allowing points to be changed
         I will see what I can do about this
  • swap points in sidings for small radius versions, allowing for more track, retaining operational ability and improving appearance as shown in your photo: those are 2 very short points! The long, rigid mainline loco's the Standard allows for would never have shunted your station!
         As above however I believe but have no proof either way that Hailsham goods yard was shunted by the loco that brought the train in
  • increase the passing loop length by at least a whole foot. Especially on branch lines that could be used as diversion route if the mainline was blocked, long passing loops allowed mainline trains to pass each other.
         I will see what I can do about this
  • converting the right hand lead into a full mainline track could be made swappable: the end of the shunting lead, with buffer stop, could be built on a removable section of trackbed, which could be swapped out with a section of mainline to allow for the double-to-single track function of your station.
         This is already in the amended plan

Thanks for your contribution

Gary

Archived