High Level Oversize Bearings

High Level Kits

We've discovered an error among a batch of 1/8in hornblocks bearings, sold either separately, or in our chassis kits. This will only effect 1/8in Bore, Standard and SpaceSaver hornblocks, purchased from us between February and July of this year (2014).

The problem concerns the bore of the brass bearing, which is oversize. To determine if you have bearings from this rouge batch, use a round needle file to remove the parting-off burr from the end of the bore, then try the bearing on an axle.

Our bearings are intentionally manufactured to be a tight fit, which allows for variations in axle size. A correct-size bearing will require light reaming to achieve a good fit, or it may slide onto the axle, but with no perceivable play or slop.

If the bearings feel slack, contact us for replacements.

Up to now, only one person has got back to us about this, but we want our product to be spot on and so we're keen to put this right. The faulty bearings have been withdrawn from stock. If you think you may have oversize bearings, please return them, or contact us, and we will send new ones at our expense.

bearings@highlevelkits.co.uk

TEL 0191 3882112

• RMweb Premium

Prepare for the flood! (or not). I've checked mine and they are oversize, so that's 6 so far.

There is a visible gap around the axle when viewed under a magnifier, if in doubt compare it to a correct bearing.

Good QC is an expensive pastime but is it ever as expensive as the remedial action. It is times like these that you are glad you joined an informative forum like RMWeb and didn't only live in the dark rooms of old with no way of finding this out.

• 2 weeks later...

A few people have now contacted me about this, but far less than expected, considering the number sold over the period above - perhaps I'll see a few more at the shows this autumn.

If customers do want to exchange, they’ll be taken on trust and so there’s no need to send the old ones back to me as this would cost them a large stamp; just give me a ring...

Archived