Class 42 Warship at old Oak Common This Evening

Xerces Fobe2

On my way out from Paddington this evening I spotted one if the 2 preserved Class 42 Warships outside the Adelante Depot at Old Oak Common tonight coupled to an 08 Shunter. Not sure which Warship it however it was in maroon livery with full yellow ends.

Does anyone know why it was there. - wheel lathe visit maybe?

XF

• RMweb Premium

D821 is maroon and D832 is green.  That identifies your sighting.  Can't find an event it might be on its way to with a quick search so possibly it's going to have some work done somewhere.

the East Lancs website says it is currently in green. As to why, I do not know.

Perhaps because someone painted it that colour?  ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The English language allows double meanings! I meant I did not know why it was at Old Oak Common. Of course my ambiguous statement can be read as why it was green. Doh!

Mickey, if you have not seen or travelled behind a Warship, you need to put it on you 'Bucket' list!

Much more interesting to travel on one, some weird sensations if you are standing in the middle of the cab and passing under some of Mr Brunel's 'flat arch' bridges as it was very difficult to resist the temptation to duck (an illicit trip from Weston-S-M to Bristol TM over 50 year ago, yes definitely over 50 years ago as the station we were travelling to closed in 1964!).  My next trip on one was legitimate - on a milk train between Didcot and Kensington!

Interesting machines but the Hymeks rode far better (which isn't saying much as Hymeks rode far better than just about any other BR diesel) and the 1000s had a lot more poke.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

from the SVR web roundup

D821 ‘Greyhound’ – Class 42 - is unlikely to be returning to the SVR for the 2014 season due to major repairs. She left West Somerset Railway, where she had been for a Gala in June, on a low loader in the last week of July. WNXX reports her as going to Old Oak

• RMweb Gold

I once had a short trip on 806 Cambrian at the 1970 St. Blazey open day  :dancing: . It was from a spot near to the old coal stage up to the end of one of the long sidings near to Middleway Crossing and back.  My memory is of the hump in the floor one had to clamber over to get into the cab.  I guess it was over the transmission assembly.

My wife bought me 'The Book of the Warships' for my birthday last month, which bought back many memories from over 40 years ago.  The forthcoming Heljan 7mm model is also very tempting....  :wink_mini:

It was over the transmission Paul, and therein lies a tale.  On the original Swindon versions the cab centre had loose wooden floorboards - just like Swindon's finest.  But they weren't so clever on the 800s as one of the frequencies given off by the transmission made them levitate up out of the framework and sort of stay there in mid-air until the frequency was passed and they crashed back down.  As a result they were modified to be bolted down but they were still interesting to stand on.

• Like 2

It looks as though the DTG lads have been handy with the paint brush fairly recently - I hadn't realised the small yellow panels had been replaced with full yellow ends!

(I'll have a word with my guvnor Steve Wainwright to see what's afoot with D821, as well as looking after us at Rugby depot he's a hands on member of the DTG, in fact he often drives D1015 when it's out on the mainline. I've heard a whisper that there may be big plans ahead for D821... ;) )

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

(I'll have a word with my guvnor Steve Wainwright to see what's afoot with D821,

. I've heard a whisper that there may be big plans ahead for D821... ;) )

Removal of the steam generator to make room for the fitting of air brakes and all the associated electronic gubbins necessary for mainline certification.................................................PLEASE :)

Edited by D1059
  • Like 1

As it's almost certainly D821 I've just realised I hadn't seen her since she was languishing at Reading gas works open to the elements in the mid 1970s in tatty banger blue!

Neil

Ah yes, those Instamatic days.  March 1974 and I was an excursion from Ealing Broadway to Barry and the Central Wales line (LNER Preservation Group?) which happened to suffer a signal check as my carriage drew level with 821.  Not yet so tatty at that time.  I remember being envious of the guy with the Nikon F leaning across - that ought to have taken a better photo than mine (not saying much)!

post-10122-0-63839200-1409252437_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I remember seeing her and a Hymek (not sure which one) a few years later in Reading depot. Myself and a friend bunked in on the weekend.

I'll see if I can find some pics.

Unless my memory is failing me she was being painted into maroon then too.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've probably been on more warships than most people can shake a manky stick at and they were all painted  various shades grey. 3, Rothsay's (type 12), 26 Leander's (type 14), 8 Amazon's (Type 21) 14 Broadswords ( type 22) 3 Dukes ( type 23),  3 real carriers, 2 Sued o  Carriers (thru deck cruisers), 2 Sheffield class destroyers (Type 42) and 1 yank (less said the better).  one or two that became warships and quite a few RFA's, RMAS and other boats that weren't technically warships including one with a dark blue hull and ivory upper-works and several that were privately owned. Oh and some wot didn't like to advertise their existence, but they were black. Sorry if I missed any but me memory ain't what it woz.  The only constancy is that non had wheels.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've probably been on more warships than most people can shake a manky stick at and they were all painted  various shades grey. 3, Rothsay's (type 12), 26 Leander's (type 14), 8 Amazon's (Type 21) 14 Broadswords ( type 22) 3 Dukes ( type 23),  3 real carriers, 2 Sued o  Carriers (thru deck cruisers), 2 Sheffield class destroyers (Type 42) and 1 yank (less said the better).  one or two that became warships and quite a few RFA's, RMAS and other boats that weren't technically warships including one with a dark blue hull and ivory upper-works and several that were privately owned. Oh and some wot didn't like to advertise their existence, but they were black. Sorry if I missed any but me memory ain't what it woz.  The only constancy is that non had wheels.

I can sort of recall getting more than slightly under the affluence of incohol in the Chief's Mess on a Rothesay.

• RMweb Premium

And for what it's worth D821 is still parked at Old Oak Common looking a little odd at a former home where everything else once familiar has gone. 

Who'd have given money when they were withdrawn by BR that in 2014 I could have travelled from the far side of the planet and - without any specific planning - seen a "Warship" at Old Oak and a "Western" at Derby?  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

From the Diesel Traction Group website:

29th July 2014
D821 has been roaded from Bishops Lydeard to Old Oak Common and will now undergo an extensive exam, to identify and prioritise the work required to bring D821 back to full working order.

The English language allows double meanings! I meant I did not know why it was at Old Oak Common. Of course my ambiguous statement can be read as why it was green. Doh!

Mickey, if you have not seen or travelled behind a Warship, you need to put it on you 'Bucket' list!

Sorry, and I know that it is only my childish sense of humour - but wouldn't your 'Bucket' list be reserved for travelling behind class 40s?

• RMweb Gold

Wasn't CSB was it? I found it slipped down easy until I hit fresh air and then boy did I slide down the slope very rapidly.

I'm not at all sure what it was once we went onto shorts (which turned out to be quite long).  The really fun bit was that although open for Navy Days the ship was at a few hours notice for steam as the Portsmouth Guardship so although part of the crew was ashore on local leave there was the right mix of Chiefs and POs aboard to have her ready for sea in the requisite time - including those extending hospitality to me in their mess.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 28/08/2014 at 13:23, D1059 said:

Removal of the steam generator to make room for the fitting of air brakes and all the associated electronic gubbins necessary for mainline certification.................................................PLEASE :)

I know this thread was yearsssss ago but your wish almost became a reality. Its a massive shame it didnt happen but we were ready to go at ooc with a mainline project planned for it using the apprentices for the manpower much like when 1015 was there. Was voted against unfortunately. Was indeed going to be converted to dual braked in the process. 

Sad it didnt happen, a massive missed opportunity!