BR Southern Region Green Painted Former Pullman Cars

Much as I love my trains to be as accurate as possible, like a couple of people above, I do enjoy a bit of tinkering with coaches.  So I took an old Tri-ang Pullman (Anne, Jane, Mary or Ruth- who knows) and cut a bit out of one side then turned that round so the window positions were reversed.  I then filled in what I believed to be the correct windows, painted it green and fitted flush glazing.  It looks a bit like the Pullman that was used on the last train on the Kent and East Sussex which was quite well photographed though mainly the Pullman was in the background.  It does OK in a Summer Saturday extra to Bournemouth on our Hull MRS layout, Ladycross.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 year later...
On 15/06/2021 at 20:58, bécasse said:

The Hadrian Bar wouldn't have been green and, in Pullman livery, it formed part of the regular Tyne-Tees Pullman set until 1969.

The green ex-Pullman buffet cars were the six vehicles that had provided Pullman accommodation in SR Eastern Section ordinary (ie non-boat train) services until WWII, and these were cars 180 (CAMILLA), 181 (LATONA), 182 (MADELEINE), 183 (POMONA), 184 (THEODORA) and 185 (BARBARA). After storage during WWII three cars 180, 181 and 184 were transferred to the Western Section for use as Pullman cars in Southampton Ocean Liner expresses, retaining their names, while cars 182, 183 and 185 were converted to act as buffet cars in London-Tunbridge Wells-Hastings services with the legend REFRESHMENT CAR replacing their names, all cars retaining Pullman livery at this stage. In 1958, the three Western Section cars were also rebuilt as buffet cars (but with detail difference to the other three), and all six were repainted green with the legend BUFFET on their sides. London-Hastings services were, at this stage, being replaced by DEMUs but the seven 6B units with buffet cars were the last to arrive and until this happened limited steam services with the now green ex-Pullman buffets were retained. With the arrival of the 6B units the three ex-Pullman buffet cars joined their three comrades on the Western section, mainly for Ocean Liner traffic but also for Race and other specials. All six became part of BR stock in 1961 with BR S------S numbers but soon became redundant.

All six were short 57'-1½" and narrow 8'-1" to fit within SR restriction 0 to enable them to work on the Hastings route.

The old Hadrian Bar was sold to BR in 1961 and repainted green:

28912968487_0f9f6a9d4e_c.jpgPullman-Buffet by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

A Mark 1 Pullman bar car replaced it in the Tees-Tyne Pullman.

• Like 2