COLLETTS MODELS OF EXMOUTH

DAVE1562

On holiday in Exmoor last week so my principal model shop excursion was to Peco at Beer. My expectation was very low on the items I wanted so I wasn't disappointed. We walked out of Peco about 1500 and realised we could just about make Exmouth within the hour, so made the dash to Collett's.  Made it or about 1555 and Leigh was about to shut up shop, but let us look around.  Great stocks and lots on display.  He also said he could order in and offer good prices. I couldn't avoid picking up a discounted loco and was really pleased. Will certain call by next time I am in Devon and recommend a visit, personally or via the wonderful web. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have purchased many items from Colletts and the service is always first class, with update texts and emails from Leigh. Recently got some wagons from him and a few faulty ones had to be returned and again it was sorted very quickly and replacements sent out. Excellent as always.

• 4 months later...
57 minutes ago, wrex said:

I was looking to follow up a pre-order deposit but having seen this news will hold off for a couple of weeks, nothing more important than a strong recovery. 

Spoke to Leigh on Tuesday, he's back working and the shop is open. He was clearing the backlog of on line orders. I placed an order on Tuesday and he sent it out on Wednesday. Sadly, he received a number of abusive messages as he was not contactable, and in his rush to get home, had not set the answerphone. This is appalling, people need to consider that there are likely to be urgent reasons why the shop isn't open or contactable, especially after what we've been through.

• Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/07/2020 at 18:23, Oldddudders said:

Have you heard of Covid-19? It has turned much of daily life on its head for huge numbers of people worldwide. Why do you imagine that a one-man-band shop is immune to the disruption, or, undoubtedly rather worse, to the virus itself? 

To you and me, this is a hobby. To a shop owner it is his livelihood. Rest assured that the chap would love to be fulfilling your order. And bleating about it on RMweb will not help in any way, shape or form. 

I posted this 18 months ago in response to another impatient boor. The "I want it now" maxim just isn't going away, evidently, Covid or no Covid. 

• Agree 6
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Dropped in today and found the shop full of sealed boxes ready for posting - fulfilling mail orders received over the holiday period. They were all in sacks and ready for the off before I left.

Good and varied stocks from multiple manufacturers, great and small. Keen and personable proprietor. Some special offers available at present.

Is experiencing the same baffling lack of fulfillment from the red box lot as many others, which is disheartening for a one-man-band. Well worth my time to visit.  Recommended. 

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/06/2022 at 22:13, Oldddudders said:

Is experiencing the same baffling lack of fulfillment from the red box lot as many others, which is disheartening for a one-man-band. Well worth my time to visit.  Recommended. 

Funny you should mention that.  I shared a very similar discussion with Leigh when we called in last year or the one before.  He is a good guy trying to make a living for himself, and serving the hobby. The kind of retailer a manufacturer would be proud to be associated with.   Hmmm.  Best not say anymore.  

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 6 months later...

I have just used Leigh twice within a week and I would give him top marks. I'm not a fan of polystyrene peanuts, but it will not put me off due to the quality of everything else.  He is now on the "Let's check to see if {insert name here} has got it in stock" list.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just a quick notice of excellent customer service from Leigh at Collet Models. Orded a couple of locos ,one Saturday and one today and have recieved a email to say that he has deducted one of the P&P charges and the items have been shipped today.

Certainly now my first port of call for any new items. 

And a really good cost to go with it.

• Like 3