Stewarts & Lloyds 30t IU & 20t Mainline Tippler

• 2 months later...

Hi Mark,

Stumbled across this thread while researching the same wagons which there are several images in Eric Tonks "Corby" book in the ironstone quarry series. Admittedly they are not very high quality images, but they do show them in use right up until closure behind Class 14's. I also found this shot on Flicker  - (http://www.flickr.com/photos/114813237@N06/12032857963) also attached below showing the wagons from a rather unusual view point.

Other than that, this is all I have found at the moment.

James

There are numerous pics of these published in various books over the years. I think, but not certain, that there were two variants. They were used extensively on the quarry system connected directly to the Corby plant - Priors Hall, Harringworth/ Shotley/ Wakerley, Great Oakley and Cowthick in the later years but would have been around when numerous other small pits were being dug closer to the works.

I dont think any of these survived after about 1983. Once quarrying had ceased in 19 were used to move scrap around the plant when it was being broken up but would eventually have succumbed to the cutters torch as the rest of the plant disappeared.

I can't say how many were built but they were numerous and I guess anyone who knows of any of the build records of Charles Roberts may be able to shed some light on it.

Interesting photo James, nice shot of the interior which helps to clarify the angles of the body plating, and it seems that the wagons are devoid of the ladder shown in Mark's photo. I can imagine that they were a bit prone to damage. I wonder if they were just removed or whether later batches never had then at all?

It is an interesting design - its almost as if it was designed as a hopper, but they decided to weld the bottom up. The body and the hopper like lower portions seem a little wasted on a tippler design? Unless it is to help the sides protrude beyond (and below) the solebars in an effort to gain the volume to increase the tonnes (tons).  

Looks like a 12ft wheelbase? 10" solebars?

It is an interesting design - its almost as if it was designed as a hopper, but they decided to weld the bottom up. The body and the hopper like lower portions seem a little wasted on a tippler design? Unless it is to help the sides protrude beyond (and below) the solebars in an effort to gain the volume to increase the tonnes (tons).  

Looks like a 12ft wheelbase? 10" solebars?

I think the design of the bottom of the sides and ends is an attempt to stop material building up in the corners and causing corrosion of the lower sides; SNCF have a similar feature on many of their bogie scrap wagons:-

http://www.photos-ferroviaires.fr/index.php?/category/441 This was also tried, though less obviously, on some of the rebuilt 16t minerals, where the bottom of the side was rounded, and so didn't form a right-angled joint with the floor. 

Given the size of the chunks of ironstone that would have been dropped in these wagons, hopper unloading wouldn't have been very practicable- the bottom doors would have been wedged.

I'm sure that Brian's right, there was a trend, post war, to use tipplers for home ores which were often wet, sticky and, when loaded direct at the ore face, in large lumps. Not particularly free flowing.

On the other hand, imported ores, which had often been treated prior to transport to remove valueless waste, were usually dry and crushed. The major new flows of imports post war used hoppers, Tyne Dock-Consett, Bidston-Shotton and General Terminus-Clyde Iron/Ravenscraig.

I think the design of the bottom of the sides and ends is an attempt to stop material building up in the corners and causing corrosion of the lower sides; SNCF have a similar feature on many of their bogie scrap wagons:-

http://www.photos-ferroviaires.fr/index.php?/category/441 This was also tried, though less obviously, on some of the rebuilt 16t minerals, where the bottom of the side was rounded, and so didn't form a right-angled joint with the floor. 

Given the size of the chunks of ironstone that would have been dropped in these wagons, hopper unloading wouldn't have been very practicable- the bottom doors would have been wedged.

Thanks for that info  - good point(s)! You don't have to watch the video of a RB110 loading chalk tipplers at the former Barrington Quarry to realise the battering the wagons would have taken. 

Interesting photo James, nice shot of the interior which helps to clarify the angles of the body plating, and it seems that the wagons are devoid of the ladder shown in Mark's photo. I can imagine that they were a bit prone to damage. I wonder if they were just removed or whether later batches never had then at all?

i can't remember seeing any with ladders but most if not all had bars welded horizontally between the vertical ribs to act as rungs and allow the quarrymen access to judge the loading of the wagons. Most of the face shovels used to load them wouldn't have allowed a view of the interior to see how much was in there.

There are numerous pics of these published in various books over the years. I think, but not certain, that there were two variants. They were used extensively on the quarry system connected directly to the Corby plant - Priors Hall, Harringworth/ Shotley/ Wakerley, Great Oakley and Cowthick in the later years but would have been around when numerous other small pits were being dug closer to the works.

I dont think any of these survived after about 1983. Once quarrying had ceased in 19 were used to move scrap around the plant when it was being broken up but would eventually have succumbed to the cutters torch as the rest of the plant disappeared.

I can't say how many were built but they were numerous and I guess anyone who knows of any of the build records of Charles Roberts may be able to shed some light on it.

I am told the post war Chas Roberts records survive but I can't find anyone who has them!

Mark Saunders

• 5 months later...

Hey Mark,

Had any luck tracking down the records? And/or plans? Do did any make it into preservation?

Alas no joy on the 31t internal user, but I am hopeful that something can be found or done!

Also the day job keeps getting in the way!

Mark Saunders

Hang on a mo - there is another difference. Note there is no raised section on the top rails at the ends of the body. This could be another build maybe?

Looks like more variation, 687 in the photo has the body to the end of the Headstock and 635 has a gap between the end of the body and headstock!

Mark Saunders

The one on Ebay is of one of the 20 ton versions but still a nice shot, same design was supplied to Lancashire Steel at Irlam!

Mark Saunders

I didn't realsie they made two types! Do you know much about these? Same height, same wheelbase, or different in both respects.

Now I am confused, I had thought that these were 31t wagons, now I'm not so sure. Is it the ladder position and type that differentiates the two? In these examples its a couple of rods welded between the stanchions, whereas the larger capacity has a seperate ladder (in a variety of places).

post-23366-0-44493900-1428109660_thumb.jpg

post-23366-0-42965600-1428109765_thumb.jpg

Original images from Phantasrail website (Google; Corby, Ironstone, Phantasrail).

Edited by Down_Under
  • Like 2

I'm at the back of the same class as you, D-U!

Certainly seem to be some variations between the 20 and 30(31T?) wagons. Those images you just put up might be slightly lower sided, have fewer vertical body stanchions than the 31T, and no tie bar between axle guards. The lower body plating is different to 31T, having taller vertical section before the return with line of heavy bolts.

The photo of the derailment shows a 20T wagon at the front but those at the rear seem to be the larger wagons so rakes were mixed?

Interesting that some of the larger wagons have no end top channels - I would think these were intended as a replaceable wear beam to absorb damage from the tipper mechanism (I.e. they support the weight of wagons whilst being rotated). Maybe some were removed due to damage?

Tony

Edited by Osgood