Stewarts & Lloyds 30t IU & 20t Mainline Tippler

The mines stock was among the first to be disposed of for scrap, they were rounded up and stored in Pen Green sidings before being shipped over to the scrap recovery yard which was set up alongside the strip mills. Most if not all were cut up there although there may well have been some cut up on site at Glendon, there were some stored next to the A6003 overbridge until the track was lifted.

Some of the Internal 30t tipplers appear in photographs at BSC Stocksbridge and the 35 Stewarts & Lloyds tipplers built by Mett Camm in 1962 ended up at BSC Lackenby!

Mark Saunders

Some of the Internal 30t tipplers appear in photographs at BSC Stocksbridge and the 35 Stewarts & Lloyds tipplers built by Mett Camm in 1962 ended up at BSC Lackenby!

Mark Saunders

They did! I'd forgotten about those and didn't some of the 30T also end up at Scunthorpe? Ironic that the Lackenby ones might have come back to Corby as newly rolled strip after passing through the recycling process there at the end of their days.

The works and fixed plant at Corby was handed over to Thos W Ward as part of the demolition contract, but anything not nailed down remained BSC property and was disposed of. Some of the plant was shipped to other BSC works, some sold for use elsewhere, including two of the W1400 draglines and most of the class 14s, the rest was cut up and shipped to BSC plants as furnace charge scrap. The Corby scrap recovery gangs were made up of workers who were about to be made redundant with the closure.recovering the rail, road, works and mines plant gave them a few more months.

An old friend of ours was foreman with one of the gangs, he told a tale of two brand new strip transfer trailers which had been built/ bought at great expense to move coils around the new slitting plant. These were purpose built to an in-house design and to commission them, they were taken to the strip mills, about the last part of the plant to be decommissioned, and loaded with coils. All went swimmingly, the engineers and production team were well pleased with the design and they were parked outside ready to be taken back to the slitting plant to be put to work when it too was commissioned. If you've read through this thread, you'll have seen the scrap recovery line was outside the strip mill......

Said trailers were never seen again.

Edited by RANGERS

• 11 months later...

Does anyone know how many of these 30 ton Tipplers were built and if any other photographs of them exist?

Mark Saunders

Hello All,

Did we managed to work out what under frame the 30t Tippler ran on? Was it the same as the 20t, or was the wheelbase lengthened?

Cheers,

James

From the GA they are 12' WB and 20' OH

Mark Saunders

Thanks Mark -- would you be able to point me in the direction of a GA. I have one for the 20t version from the private owner wagons book series as discussed earlier in thread, but not this one.

Cheers,

J

Thanks Mark -- would you be able to point me in the direction of a GA. I have one for the 20t version from the private owner wagons book series as discussed earlier in thread, but not this one.

Cheers,

J

The GA I took the details from is in the Charles Roberts drawing collection at the NRM!

Mark

• 1 year later...

Apologies to drag this thread up from the depths once again...

I'm hoping to build a short rake of the 30 ton tipplers and could use any information anyone has on the body height and also the frame height. I don't think anything proprietary will match so possibly assembling the frames from evergreen strip of the correct dimensions would be the best bet?

Kind regards

Paul A. 

• Like 1

The General Arrangement and other drawings of these are held by the NRM at York.

however remember to book in advance for the search engine along with the material you want as only three items are available on the day but six plus three more on the day or all nine in advance! Open Wednesday to Saturday.

Mark Saunders

• Thanks 1