Horniman Park V2.0

gc4946

• RMweb Premium

I've made quite a bit of progress on the station - this only needs platform fittings adding.

However I'll still need to tone down the shiny grey platform surfaces and glue the platform onto the board.

post-850-0-12164300-1425809448_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

post-850-0-21139500-1430730848_thumb.jpg

post-850-0-50735300-1430730869_thumb.jpg

After removing all traces of the clear sticky plastic film which was used to protect against transit damage on these four boards and relaying the track, I'm now effectively back to square one as in these images above.

I've even tested it and all's now OK.

I'm also replanning the scenery, bearing in mind that I still can't fix anything permanently on the boards that's taller than rail level, in order that they can be replaced into their original card packaging for storage and transportation.

Possibilities include working on a road layout with cul-de-sacs leading to nowhere imagining that a local council built new roads to serve a proposed housing or industrial development, or even suggesting the ground's been razed.

Edited by gc4946

• RMweb Premium

It's amazing how much one A2 sheet of mounting board uses up when doing the roads and hardstanding.

post-850-0-74675100-1430755419_thumb.jpg

These four boards were intended to be used as doors, so on each board, two edges (the longer sides) have curved edges and the other two edges are straight.

However, I've arranged for the roads to cross the straight joins of the boards and imagine the curved edges represent small drainage gulleys.

I've still to refine the approaches to both planned level crossings.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Scenic work has began on the first of the oval track boards. This includes a roadway to a planned industrial estate where the roads and infrastructure have been installed, but no buildings have been erected, in the meantime it's being used as an unofficial dump and wasteland.

As these boards have to be put back into the cardboard boxes after use, there's little opportunity for modelling scenery which is higher than rail level.

post-850-0-81810600-1432403013_thumb.jpg

Having assessed my scenic materials, I decided to use up my remaining stocks of grass matting and scenic scatter on this board.

Any odd-sized pieces of Gaugemaster/Noch grass matting left over have been cut up and soaked in water to remove the grass material from the backing paper.

The resulting grass material is then dried and can be used as scatter to represent clumps of grass.

I may also cut up odd pieces of card, etc to represent materials dumped on the site.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm experimenting with a separate station board on a 900mm x 230mm x 18mm shelf bought from Wickes (usual disclaimer).

The 715mm long separate station platform described earlier is too short for 156s or similar length units and I wanted to have a modular station that wouldn't add substantially to the layout's total length so I could run longer trains which could call on a through service.

post-850-0-11745500-1452934372_thumb.jpg

The platform can hold 3 x 57' carriages or equivalent and is made from Bachmann's Underground Ernie platform sections. As the board has to be stacked away vertically I'm only including minimal detailing.

• RMweb Premium

I can now reveal the purpose of this station ...

... it's going to be a halt for travelling sports fans and the entrance turnstiles are located within a stone's throw from the platform.

post-850-0-75751500-1453575013_thumb.jpg

This whole board is designed to use structures and materials already in stock, including a scratchbuilt set of turnstiles and part of a Hornby cast iron footbridge deck, modified as a huge sliding gate to let crowds out.

Its team strip will be claret and blue, although the gates and doors have initially been finished in claret (NB - the platforms are being worked on, so not present in image)

I'm designing this display to accommodate a wide range of stock and eras with little alteration, because I like running out-of-region special excursion workings.

• RMweb Premium

The name of the club's decided, it's Priory FC in claret and blue and this is their home fans' entrance with large gate to let the fans out.

(My secondary school PE kit was the same colours)

post-850-0-54555400-1453659683_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

For some while, whilst my 900mm long through station module is adequate for a lot of my wishes, I also really wanted a board that I could stable a 4-car EMU.

Measurements showed it was feasible to display such a unit on a 1200mm long shelf, so I again visited Wickes and bought one. At the Pontefract show last week, I also bought a job lot of damaged Hornby and Triang platform sections for modification.

Below is my first setup, this time with my London Midland 350/1 EMU. Arguably, it's a better test of platform length and clearances than a 4VEP, because the unit is slightly longer.

post-850-0-33724600-1454750460_thumb.jpg

I'll need to add another 90mm to the total length in order that all the doors can be accommodated on the platform.

• RMweb Premium

The platform configuration is (more or less) sorted out - it's been checked against the Desiro 350/1's length.

It's a single line through track, to be laid with 50mm gaps at each end, so can be attached to the layout at either end.

I'm assuming the platform bay's been lifted and replaced with car parking.

post-850-0-41754100-1454779878_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Made substantial progress:

- Fixed track down, leaving 50 mm gaps at ends;

- Decided on platform configuration, including extra sloping pedestrian access ramp;

- Installed pavements made from mounting board offcuts - shaped to represent station entrance access, bus stop and car parking.

post-850-0-79397600-1454854620_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Today at the Doncaster show, I found a station building that looked ideal for the station being modelled on a 1200mm board, an old Hornby R473 model, albeit with one of its chimneys missing.

post-850-0-47898900-1455386633_thumb.jpg

post-850-0-42526200-1455386649_thumb.jpg

As much as I like many of today's current resin buildings, I'm increasingly finding it more appealing to clean up and modify older plastic structures to suit my needs.

I can firmly attach this building to the platform and store the board vertically in my spare room knowing that there are few parts to knock off when I have to transport it to the living room and vice versa.

• RMweb Premium

It's amazing how a bit of greenery transforms things!

post-850-0-50668800-1455476290_thumb.jpg

This junction board was first covered with Woodland Scenics green vinyl mat (RG 5132) subsequently painted in shades of brown to represent rough ground, instead of using brown scatter material.

What really made the difference was adding the Gaugemaster/Noch grass matting, as well as weathering the track (not yet completed)

post-850-0-95234100-1455476306_thumb.jpg

post-850-0-16087600-1455476327_thumb.jpg

Work's progressing on both the 900mm and 1200mm long station boards. The longer board is progressing well and the 900mm board will follow suit once I've decided the final platform configuration, road and pavement layouts.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

On my shorter 900mm board, I've settled for my preferred platform configuration:

post-850-0-11018100-1455980368_thumb.jpg

The widest part will have steps at both ends to ground level - cut up from a spare Hornby platform section. There'll be a shelter located between the two square fixing holes.

However I'll refine the shade of grey used for the tarmac, once done, I can then glue down the turnstiles and exit gate.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Over the next few weeks and months, my aim is to detail each of the individual boards - at a basic level - entailing:

Painting and weathering of track

Completion of any roads and paving

Completion of platforms

Covering of larger open areas with grass matting - if any structures are eventually fitted, the matting will be cut away to suit

Painting of the white sides and edges of the B&Q boards in brown

I'll also check, and repair if necessary, any accompanying cardboard packing.

The main objectives are to get rid of the shiny white appearance of the boards and to provide a basis for further detailing at a later date.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Board no. 2 completed, one of the four corner boards, with partly-finished industrial estate and building site.

post-850-0-62678500-1466352848_thumb.jpg

After a lot of thought I painted over the streaky painted PVA in one corner with several shades of brown representing ploughed-up ground at the start of building work, a veritable mud-bath!

• RMweb Premium

Board no. 3 completed - a 715 x 147mm section that can be used as a display/photography module, programming track or scenic fiddle yard.

post-850-0-56651400-1466621690_thumb.jpg

For the first time, I used Woodland Scenics' steel rail track painter pen (ref.: TT4500) for the rail sides and it's much quicker and easier than applying by brush.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I've experimented on my living room floor how I can arrange my individual modules if I didn't want an oval circuit.

The best idea which worked was a branch with a twig scenario - or a situation akin to the Gunnislake branch with reversal at Bere Ferrers - where trains have to reverse during their journey.

Reversal station with branch junction:

post-850-0-63574600-1466836673_thumb.jpg

Approach line to fiddle yard:

post-850-0-56728300-1466836655_thumb.jpg

The final section of the branch with single-platform terminus (nearest the door):

post-850-0-97966000-1466836639_thumb.jpg

Inter-baseboard connections will be made by Fleischmann's Profi 100 and 200mm straight track pieces.

Work will progress on identification of any other non-oval modular combinations suitable for my domestic arrangements.

Edited by gc4946
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's not often I assemble the complete oval sections, but there's been much progress recently.

I decided to increase the amount of tarmac and other hardstanding from original plans, in order to use up card and to avoid buying any more Noch/Gaugemaster matting specifically to finish the layout.

post-850-0-27592600-1467466123_thumb.jpg

Very soon the white areas will be covered with matting and will look much more realistic!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Phew!

After an intensive day's work, I've got two boards to this stage:

post-850-0-89666000-1467478684_thumb.jpg

Following this session, I'm now down to my last scraps of grass matting (both Woodland Scenics and Gaugemaster/Noch).

I'll leave them overnight and the next stage (tomorrow?) will be to blend in all the various offcuts to make the scenery more acceptable in terms of shade and finish.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

All seven of my "white" boards have been joined together for the first time, making the layout size 2145mm x 1345mm and only just fitting onto my living room carpet.

attachicon.gifNew OO modular layout 005.JPG

This is my best photo available of this setup due to the light and difficulty in getting a photo from above showing the whole layout, but this was a milestone that had to be recorded!

This highlights some track alignment issues that need resolving.

My aim is to have this layout configuration as shown in the attached photo (B&Q's white boards) complete with scenery at a basic level and test run successfully by the weekend of 16/17 July, when my mum's expected to visit.

The 900mm and 1200mm long stations using Wickes' shelves will need longer to complete but should be finished a few months later.

Edited by gc4946

• RMweb Premium

Boards nos. 5 and 6 completed ...

The 715 x 147mm station terminus - overpainted the white base at both ends.

post-850-0-52608800-1467661857_thumb.jpg

Another corner section weathered

post-850-0-81040800-1467661841_thumb.jpg

And not forgetting the 100mm and 200mm linking pieces - rail sides painted with the Woodland Scenics track pen

post-850-0-35267000-1467661871_thumb.jpg

• Like 1