Horniman Park V2.0

gc4946

• RMweb Premium

I've allocated a Mk2d SO (Hornby) and Mk2e BSO (Hornby Railroad) to be the scratch set behind my customised Bachmann large logo 37403 Glendarroch and the whole formation kept and stored together.

OO modular layout 003.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I decided to use up more bits and pieces from my stash for this Network SouthEast era station. So far, the only bought-in parts are the Peco platform edging.

"Westgrove Stadium" is the name of a station formerly called South Grayton and Devineham which was modernised by the Southern in the 1930s and was the next stop from Greensgrove. It originally had a passing loop.

Like Greensgrove (see page 8, 11 May 2019 entry), South Grayton and Devineham was never modernised with BR corporate-era signage and closed on 24 July 1977. All platform structures and footbridge were subsequently razed and the line singled. 

However, the platform itself remained intact. 

Due to the local council requesting a station for the modernised Westgrove Stadium incorporating Greenfields Jubilee Harriers' club house BR reopened it in March 1983.  It was renamed to better reflect the revised role of the immediate area.

I had to imagine what it looked like before rationalisation so I could see how the new station would look. Wooden fencing (Ratio) has been trial fitted and the platform ramp with a footpath used as access instead of the former footbridge 

283.JPG

Edited by gc4946
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm considering making a siding out of the former passing loop. 

Here are three vans awaiting tripping to Brassey Engineering Ltd. This siding will also house Engineering Department wagons and can recess a DMU if necessary out of the way from other traffic.

OO modulat layout 001.JPG

• RMweb Premium

531058169_OOmodulatlayout003.JPG.b1f3c136591bd24cfa5baf011cc8bab1.JPGI used up more spare materials and parts to build the boundary wall, again the only recently bought-in parts used was a pack of Wills' palisade fencing. 

Also I decided on the siding's length, I cut it back to allow a footpath for the station's entrance/exit in place of the demolished footbridge.

OO modulat layout 002.JPG

Edited by gc4946
Added extra photo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Westfield was the name of my junior school, Priory was the secondary school I attended at the opposite end of town. Hardly anyone I knew from junior school attended my secondary school, never the twain shall meet! 

As a result I can draw upon two sets of ex-pupils' current residences and fully integrate them in my mind.

• RMweb Premium
On 28/07/2018 at 09:58, gc4946 said:

Work's started on the railside of the athletics club.

post-850-0-05006800-1532768183_thumb.jpg

I'm assuming the grassed area remained as such in the 1980s/90s.

The stadium is "secured" by Faller metal industrial fencing (product code: 180433)

I'm planning to optimise the scene representing the situation during 1988-1989, although I don't want things to be too rigid timewise; there's latitude from the early 1980s until at least the privatisation era.

I've ordered more of the same Faller fencing because it's less fiddly to assemble than Ratio's version (ref. 436) and also wanting a change from Ratio's Southern Railway concrete slab fencing, hence no progress made with "Westgrove Stadium".

Once the parts arrive I can then plan the area behind the platform and truncated siding.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've resumed work on this station and glued down all the footpaths and other hardstanding made from mounting board (it's white which might not be too distinct under certain lighting)

The footpath from the platform was routed over the disused track bed in preference to the (now demolished) footbridge and exits where the footbridge stood hence the odd angle.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Work's progressing on scenics - all of Faller's security fencing is now fitted in position, with Wills' palisade type used for newer applications.

The platform still awaits painting and detailing, hence not shown here.

OO_modulat_layout_001.JPG

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Suffice to say ...

the "Westfield Stadium" station referred to in the last post is now boxed up and any damage sustained whilst in open storage will be rectified.

It's been boxed up to prevent further damage (mind you, more space needed!) and I'm painting the platform which was missing in the last post.

I hope this platform will be fixed down over the Xmas period; my ideal aim is to get this module completed in the immediate New Year period because I'll need to procure suitable Network SouthEast signage.

PS over 19,000 have viewed my efforts so far ... thanks to all who may relate to my home situation ... will celebrate when I reach 20K hits 

Edited by gc4946
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here's the module in its own storage box.

One side folds down so that the layout board can be quickly extracted and replaced without damage. A lid holds both sides up and protects the layout from dust and damage. 

Its storage box is 21 cm high to accommodate station lamp posts.

However the platform needs another coat of tarmac-coloured paint before gluing down on the board. 

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday I wanted to paint the obligatory white platform edge, but opened up the enamel tin and found the paint hard and dry. So I visited a non-railway hobby store to buy more Humbrol paint.

However I've fixed down all trackside walls, including covered-up graffiti, fencing and the platform. Holes have been pre-drilled in the platform to fit fences.

Next stage will be laying grass matting to fill gaps between tracks and structures; I can do this over Xmas and Boxing Days.

• RMweb Premium

Although I didn't proceed with scenery work on Xmas Day, today I made progress:

Glued in all my offcuts of grass matting in place (finishing cleaning off loads of glue off my fingers) ;

Fitted all platform fencing.

I'll need to weather all that in as well as erecting lamps, shelter and signage.

OO modulat layout 003.JPG

OO modulat layout 004.JPG

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 25/03/2018 at 15:06, gc4946 said:

Chester Central, late 50s/early 60s:

post-850-0-08973000-1521986964_thumb.jpg

From back to front:

45407 - preserved, based at Speke during time when my family lived in Liverpool

46169 The Boy Scout - I was a boy scout in my youth

42086 - recorded at New Brighton in April 1966 when our family lived there on the last of the Bank Holiday steam-hauled specials between New Brighton-Wrexham

1028 County of Warwick - my county of birth

5994 Roydon Hall - near where my mum was born in Diss

All re-numbered from manufacturers' original versions.

According to Bachmann's website, I found out my long-desired Bachmann 31-146A BR early crest lined black D11/1 62667 Somme is expected February 2020.  For personal reasons it'll be re-numbered as Northwich-based 62665 Mons. This'll add an ex-Cheshire Lines dimension to this above mini collection.

• RMweb Premium

Here's "Westgrove Stadium" in its full configuration, including truncated passing loop track as siding, depicted in about 1989.

4VEP 3456 had just been refurbished but quickly got filthy and received the attention of graffiti artists. 

37254 is recessed in the siding with a train for Brassey Engineering.

The custom-made signs are on their way to me so once they've arrived platform fittings will be added shortly.

Edited by gc4946
Corrected station name

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Once "Westgrove Stadium" station module is finished, I'll complete the art deco football stand and station, based around Hornby and Subbuteo parts.

After a lot of deliberation, the football club will be named "Fisherham" after a former schoolmate who won an accolade as the ultimate superfan voted for by supporters at an English Championship club. Its colours are white and black.

Its name will probably be rendered in white concrete on both the station and stand.

• RMweb Premium

I completed "Fisherham" unstaffed station serving the football ground which is now awaiting a board to mount the whole assembly; in the meantime it'll go into store in a specially adapted box. 

Also adapted Bachmann's 44-542 concrete platform lamps (look LMS style to me) and chose to render the station name in painted art deco concrete.

I'll probably order custom made signs because I doubt that the sole concrete-looking station name will be sufficient for passengers to recognise the station.

OO modulat layout 003.JPG

OO modulat layout 004.JPG

OO modulat layout 005.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've made some progress on the football stand's entrances including scratchbuilding a flight of steps in black styrene with white walls.

However I'm looking into a matching art deco style turnstile entrance and exit for football fans.

Additionally I've restructured my storage boxes so that all related stock appropriate to an era is stored together in one box for running sessions; however I still have to put stock away afterwards.

The first group having this treatment is my small collection of post-steam, pre-TOPS Southern Region diesels.

• RMweb Premium

The 20,000th view on this layout topic occurred sometime this afternoon.

I think Bachmann's 31-146A D11/1 62667 Somme is either already here or well on its way from China http://Bachmann.co.uk/product/gcr-11f-(d11-1)-62667-'somme'-br-lined-black-(early-emblem)/31-146a

Once its warranty expires it'll be re-numbered as 62665 Mons in the condition when it was based at Northwich from the mid-50s until its withdrawal.

• RMweb Premium

Whilst waiting for Bachmann's BR early crest D11/1 to hit the shelves I've tracked down and bought via an auction site three used Dapol (ex-Airfix) LMS non-corridors in BR crimson. They're an ideal companion for the Director in the later half of the 50s working on the ex-Cheshire Lines as well as my other ex-LMS locos because despite their age, they're cheap and robust for my needs.

Because of my home situation where I can't leave stock out for long I rarely take out my superdetailed Hornby carriages out of their boxes in case details get damaged.

I'm wondering have anyone modelled passenger steam trains which used the Widened Lines in London to create an imaginary "Thameslink" steam era service? 

With my BR Fairburn tank and my soon-arrriving Dapol ex-LMS crimson non-corridors I can recreate an originating LM Region service.

If I actually implemented the Eastern Region aspect I would buy an N2 and Mk1 suburban rake because at the time only short passenger stock could navigate the Hotel Curve under Kings Cross (I can't imagine the Southern region would have allowed Quad-Arts south of the Thames)

Edited by gc4946

• RMweb Premium

I'm planning to attend the Doncaster event this weekend. 

Hopefully I'll get hold of a 31-146A BR early crest lined black D11/1 62667 Somme from one of the traders there, according to Rails' email it's just arrived in their shop!

Otherwise I'll rummage through the bits boxes for model building accessories; Anoraks Anonymous' stand has always been a great source of parts.