Horniman Park V2.0

gc4946

• RMweb Premium

The acid test for all my rolling stock formations is whether they'll fit into the siding on the oval layout (the curved sections left off for convenience)

Re-numbered and weathered Bachmann Fairburn 2-6-4T 42086 heads an ex-LMS non-corridor formation.

42086 was recorded on a Wrexham-New Brighton Bank Holiday service in April 1966; I would have been less than a year old then living in New Brighton.

Its earlier career was based on the Southern Region; in its late crest condition it was allocated to Stewarts Lane, 17 Nov 1956-22 March 1958, then Bricklayers Arms, 22 March 1958-5 December 1959 (the SLS allocation data differs).

In my fictitious universe I'll pretend it worked a Maidstone East-St Albans City via Farringdon service.

The Southern Region would have used these locos to ensure these services kept time among an intensive electric service.

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=426403037&loco=42086

OO modulat layout 002.JPG

Edited by gc4946

• RMweb Premium

Eastern Region all-crimson Mk1 suburban set bought, here shown after repairs and tension-lock coupler swaps, behind Fairburn 42086.

This set will form an imaginary Clapham Junction-Hatfield service via the Widened Lines; the Fairburn is swapped for an N2 at Farringdon and vice versa.

OO modulat layout 001.JPG

Edited by gc4946

• RMweb Premium

Bought Bachmann's D11/1 62667 Somme yesterday from Doncaster show.

I've given it a quick test, ran OK, but will need more thorough running in.

Incidentally etched replacements are provided to fit over the model's printed-on nameplate.

OO_modulat_layout_002.JPG

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm considering acquiring a Hornby 2-HAL or their recently released 2-HIL EMU.

They were numbered in the 26xx series, which happens to be the date (26th) in the month of my birthday.

Because of the imminent arrival of Hornby's Stephenson's Rocket train pack (R3810) which I've preordered, any such purchase will be deferred till next month at the earliest. 

Surprisingly, Hornby has yet to produce a Southern Rly EMU in malachite or early crest BR green, maybe it's not a popular choice because BR early crest locos don't sell well.

I could buy a 2-HAL with first class stripes and yellow warning panels but don't know how easily the yellow comes off without undertaking a complete repaint in all over Southern Region green.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 09/02/2020 at 19:29, gc4946 said:

Bought Bachmann's D11/1 62667 Somme yesterday from Doncaster show.

I've given it a quick test, ran OK, but will need more thorough running in.

Incidentally etched replacements are provided to fit over the model's printed-on nameplate.

OO_modulat_layout_002.JPG

This loco needed running-in on the layout's oval which resulted in much smoother running.

I'm waiting for the warranty to expire next year before renumbering and renaming as 62665 Mons.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've postponed the concept of a car park over a station.

Instead I've come up with the idea of an urban terminus which has seen better days.

Its name hasn't been decided yet.

In the late 1960s/early 70s BR demolished most of the station building and its imposing side walls except to retain one bricked-up end wall where the main station building stood and one section of each of the side walls in order to allow passengers to enter from the side entrances. Otherwise the terminus is unstaffed.

It's used up many of my styrene offcuts and some parts in stock especially the stairs.

OO modulat layout 004.JPG

• RMweb Premium

I've gone through my spares box and identified long-stored items that'll be incorporated in this module.

My last visit to a model railway exhibition was at Keighley on 14th March and I stopped ordering any model railway items online a fortnight ago.

• RMweb Premium

After gauging tests, I had to cut back both overhanging platform edges by 3mm.

All is now in order and here are two generations of Met-Cam DMUs in the terminus. The platforms are long enough to hold 2-car 155/156/158/170/171s.

• RMweb Premium

Much progress has happened since my last update:

- rail sides darkened and hydraulic buffers (Triang) fitted;

- platform and stairs fitted;

- remaining retaining walls painted and attached to board. I didn't like the weathered, bricked up end wall so gave it coats of duck egg and black.

The next phase will fit remaining platform fencing and gates, extra stair rails, railside fences and general scenic landscaping.

OO modulat layout 003.JPG

• RMweb Premium

Completed basic scenic work including erection of Faller barbed wire fencing (used up all my remaining stuff) and wooden fencing fashioned from Ratio fencing (much of it used up in the process) with planked 20 thou styrene sheet.

Next stage is to prepare platform fittings and signs.

OO modulat layout 002.JPG

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Things have been quiet for some time but I realised there was no space at home to store all my efforts.

Several modules are now scrapped, but I salvaged many parts, sorted and bagged up for future reuse.

A two track terminus in BR 1980s era seeing better days last worked on during April last year in the first UK lockdown (never finished)

"Westgrove Stadium" Network SouthEast through station (never finished)

"Brassey Engineering/MJG Engineering" (never finished)

"Old Oak and Brent" Silverlink, circa 2000 (complete, but board was of non-standard size)

"Priory Ground" LMS, ex-LNWR (complete, but board was of non-standard size)

All modules standardised at no longer than 715 mm and of the same style baseboard.

Edited by gc4946

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Recently I bought a secondhand Hornby R2931 London Midland class 153 unit.

It wasn't clear from the eBay description that it was sound fitted (it just mentioned DCC)

I was pleasantly surprised when tested so it's reignited my interest in sound-fitted locos. 

My last purchase of sound fitted chips was in 2010 due to the expense, but today I ordered a bargain Hornby TTS A3 decoder to fit into my LNER D49 (Railroad chassis, Margate body) because they were 3-cylindered to see how the TTS decoder stacks up against the Loksound version.

• RMweb Premium

While Hornby's TTS sound chips are affordable in today's economic situation, they don't cover all my wants, so need to rely on the likes of Howes, Olivia's and Digitrains to acquire key sounds.

I'm only intending to sound equip a small proportion of my collection, with preference given to DCC ready stock.

• RMweb Premium

A spare Hornby TTS class 37 chip was identified and ordered to fit into one of my 37s (Lima body, Hornby chassis) which will arrive soon.

The TTS A3 chip was installed in my D49. However when inserted correctly with the "1" pin lined up in the corresponding pin on the DCC socket, it caused a short but worked OK when fitted the other way round.

It means the loco runs backwards when it should go forwards, but I'll tweak CV29 to rectify that issue.

Edited by gc4946

• RMweb Premium

After an abortive attempt, I resumed construction of football terracing using a pair of Subbuteo terraces which approximate to OO scale, for 1970s-80s era.

I'm also working on a smaller version for the interwar 1919-39 period.

Even though I have no room for more modules, nevertheless I'm modelling part of a football stadium as it could have looked both in the interwar 1919-39 period and the 1970s-80s.

It means a lot of styrene offcuts from abandoned projects are used up in the process.

GEDC0991.JPG

• RMweb Premium

Made more progress on the Subbuteo-based stand.

I bought more acrylic paint to mix up enough to paint this stand in various shades of concrete!

However I'll need to clean up joints and bases before painting.

GEDC0992.JPG

GEDC0993.JPG

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My Hornby TTS 37 chip is now on its way from Olivias Trains.

The reason for the flurry of work in building all these football stands, and their location, will become clear soon.

Some years ago I built two modules describing the evolution of a fictitious athletics club.

Now I'm doing the same for football.

• RMweb Premium

Three models of older football stands for an un-named club under construction.

All being scratchbuilt from styrene offcuts and reused sections.

From left to right:

Wooden framed stand (roof yet to be constructed)

VIP stand (roof yet to be constructed)

Open concrete terracing 

GEDC0994.JPG

• RMweb Premium

Tonight I rigged up a Hornby TTS class 37 chip in my modified Lima body/Hornby Railroad chassis of 37 111 Glengarnock.

Here also is my recently TTS sound-fitted LNER D49 2753 Cheshire (Margate body, Railroad chassis)

My small collection of Scottish allocated stock will be sound fitted.

GEDC0995.JPG

GEDC0996.JPG

Edited by gc4946
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm naming the football club Glenford Celtic, its team colours are green and white.

On aother note I noticed Astrobase are offering a cloth printed as a combined 8-lane athletics track with or without football pitch in the centre, for those playing with Subbuteo.

However its dimensions are 220 x 160 cm, much bigger than many of my layout efforts!

https://www.astrobase.eu/product/athletics-track-and-pioneers-pitch/

• RMweb Premium

Glensley (note revised name) Celtic was established as a football club by ex-North British Railway employees somewhere in the Central Belt of Scotland.

Unlike its English Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway's Newton Heath team, it remained as a non-league Scottish outfit, but still supported by the NBR, later LNER. It lost its "sponsorship" by the railway on nationalisation.

I realised three years ago I attended a Farsley Celtic (Leeds) home match so I decided to change the name from "Glensford" to "Glensley".

• RMweb Premium

Progress made on interwar era structures.

(Top from left to right) both non-VIP stands in wood and concrete, enclosed VIP stand

(Bottom from left to right) turnstiles and toilet block.

A set of signs is being produced.

The wooden framed stand had to be painted before the roof was made, otherwise it would have been difficult to gain access to paint the interior.

Glensley Celtic FC in the 1920s and 30s, despite support from the LNER, never had a huge pot of money to spend on infrastructure, so the ground features a mixture of building styles.

GEDC0997.JPG

• RMweb Premium

Tonight I made progress on the toilet block, it's now incorporated into the football club's boundary wall.

I also cut the wooden stand's roof to size.

This week a Hornby TTS J36 sound chip arrived in the post to fit in my LNER loco version. I bought an example when it was first announced to encourage Hornby to produce a "Glen" class (which they haven't done yet).

GEDC0999.JPG

• Like 1