Horniman Park V2.0

gc4946

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, 73c, for your kind comment.

I considered creating add-on boards representing complete 440 yard cinder tracks and/or 400 metre all-weather running tracks but each of them would have taken up about 5 ft x 3ft 6in, which are impractical in my domestic environment.

However I'm not ruling out modelling the finishing straights and elements of field activity (e.g. high jumps, shot) as separate add-on boards as extensions, in line with the modelled club houses. 

Your welcome.

To me, your just proving that you don't need to spend a fortune to get something looking good.

Imagination and some skill works wonder's.

• RMweb Premium

Today I bought a second new 715 x 297 mm board from B&Q, together with extra glue, styrene sheet and mounting board.

post-850-0-91619800-1527958733_thumb.jpg

This will form the basis of Greenfields Jubilee Harriers/Westgrove Stadium in the 1980s/90s. The track layout will remain the same with a level crossing at one end and car park for visiting athletes and spectators.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

After a lot of thought I've decided not to have a station on this module under construction.

post-850-0-61152900-1528050064_thumb.jpg

post-850-0-85369500-1528050078_thumb.jpg

It would have ended up in a similar style to "Fawcett Priory" single line terminus station (715 x 147 mm) and have the added disadvantage of being too short for nearly all my units.

Edited by gc4946

• RMweb Premium

Having just bought a new Gaugemaster kit of Mortimer's Brunel main station building, I found on an auction site an unbuilt original Pola Mortimer waiting room with a damaged Mortimer main building thrown in as a job lot.

post-850-0-74764900-1528403608_thumb.jpg

I'm assigning the damaged Mortimer building using the Knightwing platform and Triang steps as a partner to Westgrove Stadium/Greenfields Jubilee Harrier's 1980s module setup - it looks SO MUCH better and dignified than my present single line terminal, Fawcett Priory!

I lived in west London near the GWML during the 80s and early 90s so an appropriate name will be assigned to the station.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Today I've done a lot of plastic bashing (no - not the credit card sort)

Using my surplus Triang platform canopies and station roof, plus Subbuteo parts, I'm working on two structures:

1. Entrance to an indoor arena, temporarily held up using Blutak (two used Subbuteo terrace stands on order)

post-850-0-05198500-1528658694_thumb.jpg

2. Combined football spectator stand, changing rooms and office.

post-850-0-30097000-1528658780_thumb.jpg

post-850-0-99756200-1528658796_thumb.jpg

Edited by gc4946
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I wonder how many layouts feature part of an indoor arena and a football ground?

post-850-0-68081600-1529094193_thumb.jpg

The parts for the arena's frontage were glued together and the Subbuteo terraces ordered via an auction site arrived safely this week.

It's a case of buying more styrene sheet to create side walls and supports for the terracing for the structure.

Meanwhile, the football stand is making more progress; tonight a platform long enough for a 2-car class 156 or similar length unit was completed to a basic level of detail, however, I've yet to decide where the station building is to be located along the platform.

I'll have to invoke some licence for the "parkway" station because of all the parkway stations on the national network, only Lelant Saltings (near St Ives, Cornwall) and Aylesbury Vale Parkway, have single platforms.

• RMweb Premium

Today I visited the Middleton Railway where there's a model railway exhibition in the main hall as well as full-size steam trains running all weekend (sorry, no photos taken)

From several traders there, I bought a quantity of model fencing (GWR spear, modern barbed wire and vertical-planked wooden type) and other bits and pieces to help me complete several of my modules.

• RMweb Premium

This is my latest thinking re: indoor arena.

post-850-0-63237200-1529230380_thumb.jpg

Imagine that the line passing the arena was originally double track, but singled during Beeching's era. There was a two-platform halt which closed at the same time.

Over the years the halt became derelict and overgrown, however, the footbridge survived because it gained access to a nearby football ground and housing estates.

Fast forward into the 1980s ...

A spanking new indoor arena was erected, BR thought it was viable for a station to be established there, but how did cash-strapped BR respond?

By building a new platform over the disused second trackbed, it saved on land acquisition costs, however it was a short-term fix, but causing long-term headaches if the track was ever doubled. The derelict concrete platform nearer the arena was bulldozed to make way for access.

A platform with minimal station facilities was constructed, however, for economy, BR retained the footbridge for access but kept the remains of the second platform of the original halt intact because it was fenced off and out of harm's way,

• RMweb Premium

Work's progressing on the station serving the indoor arena.

post-850-0-39741600-1529740084_thumb.jpg

A Lima class 156 DMU just fits alongside the platform. The smaller concrete platform belonged to a former halt on the same site and will be weathered and distressed accordingly.

I'll return to my athletics club modules shortly because I'm more or less satisfied with progress here.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Welcome back the LNER!

post-850-0-27979400-1529831893_thumb.jpg

This module will be completed as top priority so I can showcase my interwar railway collections.

I'll still need to install telegraph poles, tidy up various scenic details and finish off painted board edges.

Edited by gc4946
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The interwar version diorama of "Greenfields Jubilee Harriers" is now complete.

.post-850-0-55329000-1530436351_thumb.jpg

A short freight train for Lord Westgrove's estate passes through Westgrove Halt.

The next priority is now completing the 1980s/90s version - there's still a lot to do!

Edited by gc4946
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Finally completed repaint and partial re-work of Bachmann Bulleid semi-open brake - intended purely as an one-off project.

post-850-0-82853200-1530643034_thumb.jpg

Includes stepboards, corridor connectors from Hornby's Maunsell stock, and filling in of gaps between buffers.

The Bulleid coach will work as a pair with a blue/grey Mk1 BCK as a scratch Southern Region set hauled by blue D6506 (Heljan)

• RMweb Premium

Work's progressing on both modified Triang brick buildings.

post-850-0-62220800-1531055508_thumb.jpg

post-850-0-42386200-1531055531_thumb.jpg

I haven't decided on signage yet, it'll be done as a bulk job at a later stage. The biggest task has yet to be done and that's finishing off modifications, then painting and detailing the ex-Subbuteo stand.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As the World Cup will be over by tomorrow night, I'll resume work on the athletics club spectator stand.

I don't want to commit to a specific deadline for completion of the 1980s/90s diorama, but hope it'll be finished by late August or early September.

I've also rescued corrugated card from the recycling bin to properly box up both Greenfields Jubilee Harriers' modules to prevent damage in transit.

• RMweb Gold

Crystal Palace High level. I can remember my dad picking me up to look over the wall. It was demolished about 61-62. Lordship Lane was taken down about the same time. Choosing the name Horniman Park caught my eye straight away! Remember to use the television transmitter!

Cheers,

Ian.

Edited by tomparryharry

• RMweb Premium

Work's resuming on the spectator stand, after a short break watching the World Cup and setting up a Blogger account posting material on my history including experience as an athletics spectator in the 80s and 90s.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another milestone reached.

post-850-0-92968300-1532455078_thumb.jpg

post-850-0-77941900-1532455062_thumb.jpg

The spectator stand has all its modifications completed, including visible rear access and emergency exits at the front. I'll begin painting this week in a mixture of concrete (seating and rear staircases) and dark green (sides and roof).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Work's started on the railside of the athletics club.

post-850-0-05006800-1532768183_thumb.jpg

I'm assuming the grassed area remained as such in the 1980s/90s.

The stadium is "secured" by Faller metal industrial fencing (product code: 180433)

I'm planning to optimise the scene representing the situation during 1988-1989, although I don't want things to be too rigid timewise; there's latitude from the early 1980s until at least the privatisation era.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Work's started on painting the spectator stand.

post-850-0-93137100-1532894361_thumb.jpg

Colour's darkish grey for concrete, green (BR Southern Region carriage shade) for side walls and roof (eventually), white doors for toilets.

I'm also looking at what figures to place in the stand and the diorama as a whole.

To expedite construction, my initial idea is to represent a mid-week training session so there'll be only a handful of seated members or friends, who are outnumbered by athletes, with possibly the odd wandering interloper (yours truly??)

Edited by gc4946
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm also looking at what figures to place in the stand and the diorama as a whole.

To expedite construction, my initial idea is to represent a mid-week training session so there'll be only a handful of seated members or friends, who are outnumbered by athletes, with possibly the odd wandering interloper (yours truly??)

I'm investigating if it's possible to incorporate a scene where a model of yours truly (dressed in a garish outfit) was trying to get hold of an old schoolmate that he's not seen for years, who was standing around in athletics garb (true!)

• RMweb Premium

The spectator stand is now largely complete except for signs, addition of people and any final paint finishing.

post-850-0-61713900-1533058468_thumb.jpg

post-850-0-12083700-1533058513_thumb.jpg

post-850-0-31093600-1533058495_thumb.jpg

It means all three major structures are more or less complete.

I'll catch up on painting more figures, designing and fixing signs and painting the base edges brown.