Cheers Guys, WILLSBRIDGE it will be, and as Al say's there's a lot of baggage on here that will confuse the thread, so look out for Willsbridge, coming to a Computer near you soon.

Thanks again for ALL your input last night.

This Bitton thread can go back to sleep now.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Guys, WILLSBRIDGE it will be, and as Al say's there's a lot of baggage on here that will confuse the thread, so look out for Willsbridge, coming to a Computer near you soon.

Thanks again for ALL your input last night.

This Bitton thread can go back to sleep now.

:lazy:

And so has the colonel.

• RMweb Gold

I had considered Willsbridge as the right name if I ever chose to model Bitton but unable/unwilling to make an exact copy. The station is right next to Willsbridge but about 1.5 miles from Bitton.

The Midland and GW lines are not that far apart around Keynsham and Bitton so not unreasonable for a chord to have been built, perhaps during WW2, enabling GW freight traffic from the South (Southampton) to avoid the busy area and steep gradients around Bristol. So a junction station with interchange sidings and a small goods yard to shunt makes a lot of sense. If space is an issue, the junction itself can be off-scene.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Oh dear! Shame the front index was not completed for newbies like me. Spent best part of 2 weeks reading the thread as it's a station local to me and a S&D fan, didn't want to spoil the final result by skipping to the end. Only to be disappointed. Does this happen often on these threads? Advice I guess is skip to the end then go back and see how it was built.

Oh dear! Shame the front index was not completed for newbies like me. Spent best part of 2 weeks reading the thread as it's a station local to me and a S&D fan, didn't want to spoil the final result by skipping to the end. Only to be disappointed. Does this happen often on these threads? Advice I guess is skip to the end then go back and see how it was built.

Sorry Ademoore, I will put a note on Post#1, yes it was a shame but doing a prototype was not my thing, to many restrictions.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Andy is a serial offender :nono:.  But it's all good, because he then starts another one for us to watch and marvel at progress.  He's now on his fourth since Bitton - see the links in his signature block above!

• Thanks 1

Andy is a serial offender :nono:.  But it's all good, because he then starts another one for us to watch and marvel at progress.  He's now on his fourth since Bitton - see the links in his signature block above!

It's actually 9 or 10, I had some deleted, Beale St, Trewithen, Whittaker St, Bristol Victoria, and maybe a couple more hahahha

S O R R Y Guys. :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Ademoore, I will put a note on Post#1, yes it was a shame but doing a prototype was not my thing, to many restrictions.

To many restrictions. :scared:  Like getting it right  :whistle:  :whistle: 

Andy knows I am joking ;)

At least I hope he does or its :butcher:

• Funny 1

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello Ray,

I always try to introduce a straight exit from the points I build. especially over the common crossing.  It almost makes check rails superfluous.  A chap called Wing Commander Burns published a series of three articles in the Model Railway News in the early 1960's on building pointwork.  I would love to reproduce it on RMW but not sure about copyright issues.  In it, he advocated the 'straight across the crossing' for reliable operation.  He also introduced me to the 'set' at the toe end of the point, which I have used in my pointwork for fifty years.  Hope all this makes some sort of sense to you.

The pic is of Canal Road being rebuilt with a crossover installed at the end of the platform.  EM gauge

Derek

Sorry for the belated response!

Just found 3 articles by W/C K.H. Burns. But in Railway Modeller 1959 in issues March, April & May. March listed as K.H. Burns & referred to as Mr Burns. The other two give his rank.

Appears he was a relatively late convert to model railways and choose the then new TT gauge. He purchased some Tri-ang track & quickly decided he could build better himself.

Also found his war record here.

http://www.rafcommands.com/archive/03140.php

He was a marker for Lancasters over Germany & eventually shot down, by an M.E. 109. His parachute failed to properly open from 18000 feet & survived! He returned to flying, even after losing an arm!

An amazing story from an American, who served in various parts of the Commonwealth & the RAF.