• RMweb Gold

BITTON

Why Bitton?

Well after a long spell with no trains running I thought it was about time I started a new thread. Since May this year we have moved House, and had a Mild Stroke, so nothing has really been done for some considerable time.

As I write this I still have no Potting Shed in which to build a Layout, but more of that in a mo, firstly let me tell you a bit about Bitton.

Bitton is situated on the Midland extension from Gloucester to the Midlands in the north and Bath therefore connecting direct to the Somerset and Dorset Railway and on to Bournemouth with trains such as The Pines Express passing through daily although not stopping, and a good selection of freight including Coal etc.

Bitton station, (the current headquarters of the Avon Valley Railway) is built out of local stone, and is almost identical to the Hornby Dent Station Building that I have, courtesy of Jeff, (Physicsman) and so it would be a shame not to use it.

The goods yard on the down side had four sidings and has a single road goods shed (almost identical to the Hornby Magna Goods Shed), and weigh bridge. From the goods yard Bitton dispatched paper to London from the Golden Valley Paper Mills, soda from the works at Keynsham and yellow ochre also from Golden Valley; coal merchants distributed coal from the station and local growers sent flowers and vegetables to the Bristol market.

With running powers over the GWR section from Gloucester, the Midland Railway also achieved a stable route from Birmingham to Bristol. Its search for further expansion brought proposals for a line from Yate to Thornbury (opened 2nd September 1872) and a branch from Mangotsfield to Bath which received Parliamentary approval in July 1864.

The original Line was closed by Dr Beching, and in July 1965 Bitton Yard was closed and notice of closure for the withdrawal of passenger services declared 3rd January 1966 as the fateful day. Difficulties with the replacement bus service delayed matters until 7th March 1966. Coal traffic to Bath Gas Works continued until July 1971, after which time the line was not used by any regular traffic. Track lifting for the now utterly defunct branch line began on 8th May 1972, reaching Bitton and removing the track there on 30th May, so another chapter in railway history had closed.

My model of Bitton will NOT BE A FAITHFUL COPY but more of a model of the station and yard for running trains and shunting goods traffic.

Below are some pics of Bitton and its track Plan.

attachicon.gifBitton station front.jpg

attachicon.gifBitton Goods Yard.jpg

attachicon.gifBitton Name Board.JPG

attachicon.gifBitton trackmap.jpg

attachicon.gifBitton Station Plan.jpg

attachicon.gifBitton_Station_1962.jpg

THE POTTING SHED

When we move into the Bungalow I had intended to insulate and line the existing Pre Cast Concrete Garage, BUT I found a large crack in the floor,

Exhibit A,

attachicon.gifGarage destruction 031.JPG

and the back of the garage had collapsed in one corner. I looked at different ways to overcome the problem, but none seemed suitable.

In the end it was decided that as I physically still cant do any manual work we would get someone in to take down the CARBUNCLE and erect a new Shed, I would then insulate and line it out.

In the end I put the Garage on a well known auction site and it was SOLD within 8 hours of listing. The man and his Dad came yesterday, 9th Aug and demolished it, and took it away.

Exhibit B.

attachicon.gifGarage destruction 004.JPG

attachicon.gifGarage destruction 010.JPG

attachicon.gifGarage destruction 015.JPGattachicon.gifGarage destruction 018.JPG

attachicon.gifGarage destruction 030.JPG

So now the base will be broken up and a new one laid on the 4th September and the new Potting Shed will go up a few days later.

I will have some more updates soon.

Bodge.

Nice choice! Apart from the location with its interesting selection of trains, I rather like the trackplan. That loop around the goods shed (with presumably a loading dock between the two short stubs) gives interesting shunting opportunities. Could be a bit of a squeeze in a 15'6" "potting shed" but just about possible with tight curves from the fiddleyard and a wider curve through the station area.

Cheers Kev, as another regular its good to have you back and on board for the journey.

Bodge.

I'll be watching with much interest. I'm really keen to see what you can do with all the space you're going to have in the new shed.

Like the Marshall half stack. :good: I'm currently playing through a Marshall 2 x 12 combo. A bit loud, but I love the Marshall sound.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I dunno I saw this yesterday early on but didn't have time to respond then it jumped to 4 pages I have only just managed to catch up.  First question is this going to be a layout room or for band practice?

Seriously I like the idea of Bitton and have actually been there. Regarding your plan the yard is next to the staion platforms which means it takes up a little more room. You could wrap the platforms round the end curve. Will there be a fiddle yard down the other side?

Don

Sheds, Trains and Rock 'n' Roll - what could be better?!

I always enjoy watching a layout being built from the ground up, and in this case it's literal!

Hoping the build goes smoothly for you...

David

Cheers David, the intention is to do a stage by stage build, so, shed, insulation, electrics etc, hopefully by page 500 I should have a baseboard, ahhah

Bodge.

• Like 2

Marshall 4 x 12's are great if you have roadies . . .

I'm now using MarkBass kit for my bass playing, very light-weight so great for packing away after the gig.

Alan.

Hi Alan, I had the full bass rig as on page 1 but ended up with a 100w Fender Rumble and the PA, it was ideal for pubs etc. The 4 x 12 was when I was on normal Guitar with George T of this Parish sharing Lead and Rhythm.

Bodge.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3

Totally agree; having spent years lugging around 8x10's, 2x15's etc I'm now using a Roland Cube100 with DI out to the desk - sweet arrangement!

(such a good sound - one of the chaps in another band at a gig I was playing at thought I was using his Ampeg 1k rig when he heard the bass through the PA and came hurtling onstage only to find it was my lil' Roland with the COSM eq set to 'Ampeg Flip-Top'!!)

David

Thanks David, that's an interesting set up, see my post above to Alan.

Bodge.

• Like 2

Nice choice! Apart from the location with its interesting selection of trains, I rather like the trackplan. That loop around the goods shed (with presumably a loading dock between the two short stubs) gives interesting shunting opportunities. Could be a bit of a squeeze in a 15'6" "potting shed" but just about possible with tight curves from the fiddleyard and a wider curve through the station area.

I agree the end curves into the fiddle yard will be tight, probably 3rd / 4th radius or so but the Main Station will be along one side and the fiddle yard down the other. There has to be a compromise, I was going for a 10ft wide but the extra base cost and garden loss was just not worth the investment.

Bodge.

Hi Andy.

Just found your new layout thread and you're already on page four. Looks like I'm going to have to retire just to keep up.

Ray.

Cheers Ray, don't worry, plenty of time before the track goes down, although I believe someone has mentioned the Grass already.hahhahhaaaa

Bodge.

Edited by Andrew P

I'll be watching with much interest. I'm really keen to see what you can do with all the space you're going to have in the new shed.

Like the Marshall half stack. :good: I'm currently playing through a Marshall 2 x 12 combo. A bit loud, but I love the Marshall sound.

Hi Kev, don't worry, there wont be much space by the time I have all my TOYS in there. hahhah.

George and I loved the Marshall sound, such a sweet and punchy sound, we both had 2 x 12 cabs as well at one stage when we realised we couldn't carry the 4 x 12 into rehearsals every week.

Bodge.

• Like 2

I dunno I saw this yesterday early on but didn't have time to respond then it jumped to 4 pages I have only just managed to catch up.  First question is this going to be a layout room or for band practice?

Seriously I like the idea of Bitton and have actually been there. Regarding your plan the yard is next to the staion platforms which means it takes up a little more room. You could wrap the platforms round the end curve. Will there be a fiddle yard down the other side?

Don

Don my friend, its a HOBBYS ROOM, Trains, Guitars, Art, whatever I want, its mine, all mine to do with as I please, (with the Wife's permission). No doubt when George comes down we will have a play, (with Guitars) as well as Trains so  plenty to do yet.

Yes regarding the Fiddle yard, that will be along one side, I need to hold some long trains, for through running and short freight for the yard, plus DMU's and other stuff.

Bodge.

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

Almost missed the start of your new thread!!!!!

Excellent news, the Bodgemiester is back with a plan!

I can't believe the station building is almost the same as Dent! The window bars look identical to Kirkby Stephen but the building is uncannily similar.

I also don't believe the rail service was ended on 30th May - my birthday - so sad :scared: Never mind Bodge is on the case and Bitton will be reborn :no:  :no:

Good luck mate.

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

Almost missed the start of your new thread!!!!!

Excellent news, the Bodgemiester is back with a plan!

I can't believe the station building is almost the same as Dent! The window bars look identical to Kirkby Stephen but the building is uncannily similar.

I also don't believe the rail service was ended on 30th May - my birthday - so sad :scared: Never mind Bodge is on the case and Bitton will be reborn :no:  :no:

Good luck mate.

Ha Hahahaah, HI Mike, I've watching your exploits on Dent, (see Settle and Carlile section for this excellent Layout), but missed your pics because I was busy replying on here.

Not sure about a Plan, it looks like it will fit, and it looks like it will be interesting to operate / shunt, but I / We will have to wait and see.

Jeff, (Physicsman) gave me the Dent Station Building when I was up there visiting Kirkby Luneside, (another must see Layout in the Settle and Carlile section but only the first half!) last March, (is it really that long ago?), so I have to use it. I already had one anyway, so now I can have one on each Platform, although WHY JUST WHY Hornby only put a door on one side is beyond me, is that how the real thing is?

Bodge.

• Like 2

Meant to say earlier, not good this morning, got up and looked out to where the Garage use to be and it wasn't there! but the FENCE WAS and it wasn't supposed to be, the Garage had a bracket on the back wall supporting the fence and now said Carbuncle has gone the fence had no support in last nights winds.

So once again, its a job that I would normally do myself and now have to pay someone else to put right, our gardener will be back tomorrow to fit 5 new panels and 6 posts!

Bodge, (skint of Swad)

I've been waiting months to add a new project from you to my Andy Peters folder.  Then you sneak up with a four page opener before I've had time to blink. :stinker:

Looking forward to the blow by blow account of Bitton with lots and lots of photos of the whole project.  Once the shed is up and running what is the timescale before we see the all important GRASS :jester:

I've been waiting months to add a new project from you to my Andy Peters folder.  Then you sneak up with a four page opener before I've had time to blink. :stinker:

Looking forward to the blow by blow account of Bitton with lots and lots of photos of the whole project.  Once the shed is up and running what is the timescale before we see the all important GRASS :jester:

Cheers Mick, blow by blow? well you'll see it warts and all, and all, and ALL.

Bodge.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Meant to say earlier, not good this morning, got up and looked out to where the Garage use to be and it wasn't there! but the FENCE WAS and it wasn't supposed to be, the Garage had a bracket on the back wall supporting the fence and now said Carbuncle has gone the fence had no support in last nights winds.

So once again, its a job that I would normally do myself and now have to pay someone else to put right, our gardener will be back tomorrow to fit 5 new panels and 6 posts!

Bodge, (skint of Swad)

Thats a real bu99er Andy I assume all the panels have been damaged no chance of just putting them up. I have had too many rotten posts over the years so now I will always use concrete posts unfortunately the do cost more.

Don

Evening Gang,  Old bodgit is starting to worry me a bit with all this talk about music and guitars on this LGP thread ?  as we had tons of model railway gear between us both about twenty or more years ago and it was great, l used to go over his place and he to me, and we would run our newest trains / stock, great stuff, then one night we went to see and hear a Shadows tribute band as the drummer was one of Bodgits workmates, and then would you believe it we sold most of our models and bought a Fender Stratocaster and 50 watt fender amps each, and l think he's doing it again.............NO NO    hahahahaha

11 bar blues all over again George..

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy

Oh dear, you seemed to up set Lt. Colonel La de Da hyphen Poshname, he thinks you let someone else blow you fence panels out and would not let him blow up your potting shed. :bomb_mini:

Anyhow the lads and me have just got back from the NAAFI to find, despite this only being day two, still no trains running. :unsure: :unsure:

Ha Hahahaah, HI Mike, I've watching your exploits on Dent, (see Settle and Carlile section for this excellent Layout), but missed your pics because I was busy replying on here.

Not sure about a Plan, it looks like it will fit, and it looks like it will be interesting to operate / shunt, but I / We will have to wait and see.

Jeff, (Physicsman) gave me the Dent Station Building when I was up there visiting Kirkby Luneside, (another must see Layout in the Settle and Carlile section but only the first half!) last March, (is it really that long ago?), so I have to use it. I already had one anyway, so now I can have one on each Platform, although WHY JUST WHY Hornby only put a door on one side is beyond me, is that how the real thing is?

Bodge.

Hi Andy,

Re: the door - Yes! There is no door on the 'entrance' side, the only doors are one on the end elevation which I think was for staff use only and passengers had to walk onto the platform and through the central entrance to reach the ticket barrier.