Oswestry Junction 2, N gauge BR late 80's to mid 90's

1977joey

I like this layout more and more every time I see it. Well done on the ballasting(one of this hobby's least enjoyable aspectsunsure.gif ), it really has transformed the look. A couple of questions(for purely selfish reasons as I'm now getting round to finishing my platforms). Did you scratch build your information screens or does someone make them. Likewise, your flowerbeds and platform seats.

Looking top bananacool.gif

Cheers, matt

Thanks again Matt for the kind compliments :D .

The information screens i scratch built ages ago for my old layout. The tv screens are made from thick card (for the screen) & thin plasticard for the casing. I cut about 5mm square of thich white card for the actual screen, using blue permanent marker for screen, & black marker to edge it. I cut thin plasticard to shape for the casing, & then painted it yellow. For the 'LED' type screens, this is black plasticard with gold pen to give the impression of destination, calling points & digi clock etc. I know these (LED screens) are a little futuristic for the era my layouts based, & i am thinking of maybe replacing these with older 80's style clock's instead :rolleyes: ....but we shall see.

Here's a close up of the screens for you.....post-5923-126762343906_thumb.jpg

As for the flower beds, these were made from cutting out brick effect card, i used a little of my metcalfe platform sides cut out for the surface & stuck on very fine bits of coloured lichen from the autumn pack.

The benches...again are from a purchase ages ago, i think they're from 'RAILROAD' packs i had from Shrewsbury model centre. These were actually from the 'park' set & came with bins too. I believe it looks like Ian's used the same pack on his excellent 'Hatton Parkway' layout too. Hope this helps :)

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much for the detailed response on the signs reckon i'll go down that route, also was planning on using up my metcalfe bits for flowerbeds as well so I know they look effective. ta for the helpbiggrin.gif .

Cheers, matt

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, well no further updates on my layout for now, but had a good operating session this morning B) .

The Cardiff to Holyhead service hauled by 31430 had failed earlier...now running aver an hour late, here's the pics of it arriving at Oswestry Junction rescued by Railfreight 31285...post-5923-126840125497_thumb.jpg

post-5923-126840127525_thumb.jpg

post-5923-126840128968_thumb.jpg

post-5923-126840130136_thumb.jpg

post-5923-126840131674_thumb.jpg

post-5923-126840132748_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Gidday

How's progress on this layout going? I have enjoyed progress on this thus far, but noticed its been a while since there was an update.

Cheers

Hi there Kaiwhara.

I have a housemove imminent, so unfortunatly ive had to dismantle the layout. All buildings & stock have been kept & packed away though so when i do move i will be starting another hopefully. Glad you've enjoyed the thread :)

All the best.

Hi there Kaiwhara.

I have a housemove imminent, so unfortunatly ive had to dismantle the layout. All buildings & stock have been kept & packed away though so when i do move i will be starting another hopefully. Glad you've enjoyed the thread smile.gif

All the best.

Sorry to hear about the dismantling of the layout. I shall definitely be looking in on the next project and look forward to it all.

Archived