Hornby VIX Ferry Vans. Detailing and the new Railtec Transfers (post #68).

That’s nice Jon. Very similar to one I photographed at Tyne Yard about 15 years ago.

On the subject of this van being under width (I’ve seen 0.8 and 1mm quoted) does anybody have the dimension for the width of the body and where the lack of width is on the ends in relation to the two uprights. Straight down the middle would be the easiest to remedy so Sods Law says it won’t be there. Most of the drawings I’ve found give an overall width dimension which covers the width over the door runners rather than the body itself although I’ve not tracked down the drawing from the MRC Annual 1985 yet.

Cheers

David

• Like 1

Normally I’d agree Steve even in P4 but, to my eye, the Triang VIX looks much thinner than the 0.8mm quoted suggests. ISTR the width overall checks out OK but the door runners are hugely over scale to allow them to be openable.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Waveydavey said:

Normally I’d agree Steve even in P4 but, to my eye, the Triang VIX looks much thinner than the 0.8mm quoted suggests. ISTR the width overall checks out OK but the door runners are hugely over scale to allow them to be openable.

That could be the reason for the narrow bodies, to compensate for the oversize door runners.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

KDB787319 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brferryvan/e6f418759  ex HSFV4 research for suspension, High Speed Freight Vehicles. 

Paul

Hi Paul,

Correct !

Your photographs definitely shew it in happier times. It is currently languishing at the Eden Valley Railway in Warcop along with various other item of painted scrap !

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just need the suspension to be available - although I have a feeling someone has done it as a 3d print. I think this is the best known of the experimental suspensions fitted to ferry vans, but I think the batch  of VDA's built with taperlight were different?

Jon

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jonhall said:

Just need the suspension to be available - although I have a feeling someone has done it as a 3d print. I think this is the best known of the experimental suspensions fitted to ferry vans, but I think the batch  of VDA's built with taperlight were different?

Jon

Looks quite simple to scratchbuild. Certainly easier than the Trib van RDB990000

29298353905_c6e3c29388_z.jpgS2880010 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 years later...

This is/was a really inspiring thread and one that I “bookmarked” for inspiration for upgrading my own collection of Triang ferry vans…

However the Great RMWeb Server Crash has robbed the thread of most of the images! 

Is there any possibility of the (many) contributors restoring their photos into the thread, please? (A huge ask, I know, but would make this so useful again)

And I know Rapido have brought out an all singing all dancing version* making upgrading the older models redundant - except the factor of the cost makes upgrading mightily attractive for a rake!

Steve S

* I admit I have purchased one to act as a “template” to work towards when upgrading my Triang models!

• Like 2

On 24/02/2023 at 10:33, SteveyDee68 said:

This is/was a really inspiring thread and one that I “bookmarked” for inspiration for upgrading my own collection of Triang ferry vans…

However the Great RMWeb Server Crash has robbed the thread of most of the images! 

Is there any possibility of the (many) contributors restoring their photos into the thread, please? (A huge ask, I know, but would make this so useful again)

And I know Rapido have brought out an all singing all dancing version* making upgrading the older models redundant - except the factor of the cost makes upgrading mightily attractive for a rake!

Steve S

* I admit I have purchased one to act as a “template” to work towards when upgrading my Triang models!

Although I started the thread I didn't post much. I detailed three in the end much the same as Darius has since done.

One I did post is the Dave Larking photo of the black one.

Here

Dave.

W7708DL [21 70 214 0 144-3 (GB787017)][Mar. 77].JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1