North Cornwall - Modular - Yard and Loading Dock developments

The Bigbee Line

After a recent holiday in Cornwall I was inspired by the countryside and the rugged nature of the routes followed by the North Cornwall Railway. This is conjunction with a change of personal circumstances (where most previous projects were put on hold until they could be retrieved and moved to a new location)

To that end I have started a circular continous run using boards from Tim Horn. The aim is to keep the construction simple and get something up and running as soon as possible. Various points of interest are listed below (not necessarily in the order of importance)

Track - peco code 75 to be laid on a cork tile roadbed.
Point Motors - Hankscraft motors that I have in stock.
Scenario - A small station with a passing loop and two goods sidings.
Time frame - Early 1960s
Train Service - The loop is long enough to allow trains to pass.
Train Formations - Within reason I will follow Cornish practice SR style.
Structures - Overbridges in stone as seen during the recent holiday.

Thanks to Tim Horn ( http://www.timhorn.co.uk/) for his assistance and support (very much appreciated) and to my new lady; Linda who has given me much encouragement.

Some shots of some track that has been laid for test purposes. The coach is for test purposes only I have a box somewhere with Maunsell Coaches in BR green and Crimson and Cream.

post-2484-0-44698600-1407853203_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-26148900-1407853212_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-00412100-1407853243_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-09420600-1407853257_thumb.jpg

Dave,

Thanks

Some progress today

post-2484-0-10755600-1407927125.jpg

The track on the left is the main line. The other two on the right are the yard. Not sure what to do about a trap point yet. I might replace the yard point with a trap and have the yard point on the next board.

post-2484-0-58826900-1407927097.jpg

These two boards have a platform board to go in between.

Very nice Ernie, I'll watch with interest, My Parents were married at St Kew Highway, nice part of the Country.

Bodge.

Thanks for the compliment.

With the boards from Tim Horn (shameless plug) the going is easy at the moment.  I have a couple of other boards being assembled as I type.  Legs are next on the agenda and I'm looking at 48 inches as a viewing height.

The track is now fully laid on the platform board and here are some shots of it spliced in:

post-2484-0-10503000-1407931912.jpg

post-2484-0-10577000-1407931923.jpg

This shot has some stock added

post-2484-0-16938600-1407931935.jpg

Not much progress. I've been assembling Base Boards. Today I also collected the parts to construct the remaining three boards. Tim has also drawn up and cut out some boards to turn four Base Boards into a compact, easy to carry assembly. I call it the stack. Two stacks contain the full circle:

post-2484-0-72718200-1408135116_thumb.jpg

The thread on Bude has illustrated some of the useful information around. For example the CWN (carriage working notice) shows that most stock is available. Reading the CWN I realised my maunsell brake compos were not a set. So a quick trawl on eBay has sourced a green BTK to give a 2 set and a loose BCK. I also got the coaches for another 2 set in Blood and Custard.

I was wondering if the Push Pull sets as produced by Hornby ever made it to North Cornwall.

Today will see a visit to the hobby shop for more code 75 and a few more curved turnouts. I've been surprised by how well they fit on the boards.

• RMweb Gold

I don't think that part of Cornwall ever saw Pull-Push sets, at least post-war. The desire to provide through coaches, at least as far as Okehampton, meant that trains were often combined or split at Halwill, where engines were turned etc. The Hornby sets are fine for many branch services further east, but maybe not here. That said, modeller's licence has been known to permit much greater exaggerations!

The thread on Bude has illustrated some of the useful information around. For example the CWN (carriage working notice) shows that most stock is available. Reading the CWN I realised my maunsell brake compos were not a set. So a quick trawl on eBay has sourced a green BTK to give a 2 set and a loose BCK. I also got the coaches for another 2 set in Blood and Custard.

I was wondering if the Push Pull sets as produced by Hornby ever made it to North Cornwall.

Today will see a visit to the hobby shop for more code 75 and a few more curved turnouts. I've been surprised by how well they fit on the boards.

I don't think that part of Cornwall ever saw Pull-Push sets, at least post-war. The desire to provide through coaches, at least as far as Okehampton, meant that trains were often combined or split at Halwill, where engines were turned etc. The Hornby sets are fine for many branch services further east, but maybe not here. That said, modeller's licence has been known to permit much greater exaggerations!

I can confirm that (a) I have one of those (licences) and ( B) a Hornby push-pull set with a PP-fitted M7 has run quite frequently on Trezeath :no:

And (edit) that I didn't put the first smiley there it just grew! It should be a b!

Hi Ernie,

Have you seen David Hawkings Flickr site?  Some lovely colour photos of the last days of the North Cornwall line.  Sleepy country stations bathed in sunshine, and the occasional green railcar.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12549538@N08/with/6731494077/

Cheers, Dave.

Dave,

Thanks for the tip.  I had already stumbled over the site.  Like you say some nice shots, full of inspiration.

Ernie

North Cornwall Railway - my first railway love and interest. I've done a bit of research into the line, locos, stock and infrastructure over the years. Shout if there's anything I can help you with.

Chris,

Thanks for the offer.  I will probably get you to give the signalling plan a sense check to see that it fits the style of the line.

Ernie

• RMweb Premium

Stupid question. We're the rebuilt light Pacifics allowed over the North Cornwall branches?

Just the line to Plymouth. Not to the NCR, the rebuilt locos had a heavier axle weight which exceeded the limit of some structures.

Archived