North Cornwall - Modular - Yard and Loading Dock developments

The Bigbee Line

• RMweb Premium

Motive power used on the NCR over the BR years included:

Maunsell N Class (best look for the Bachmann ones with straight sided tenders)

Drummond T9 (Hornby with 8 wheel tender most suitable)

Bulleid original pacific (Hornby)

BR std class 4mt tanks (Bachmann) replaced the T9s

Beattie Well Tank (Kernow - on Wadebridge to Wenford duties)

The above 5 were most common and are signature classes but the following also ran:

Maunsell U and U1

Maunsell 700 (rare)

Fairburn tank (short period in 1951)

Ivatt tank, Drummond O2, GWR 45xx, 8750, 1366 on Bodmin duties through the years

Closing years saw:

BR Std Class 3mt tank (Bachmann)

BR Std Class 4 75xxx (Bachmann)

Class 22 63xx (Dapol)

Classic 121 and 122 single car units

AC Railbus on Bodmin North to Dunsmere runs

Can add more details when I'm in the house...

• RMweb Premium

Thanks. I thought I hadn't seen any in pictures. I'll need to keep my eye open for an 'original'.

I understand the tenders on the Hornby models can be a bit of a mish-mash

Best look for one with a narrow 4500gal tender with no tender raves. That can cover lots of renaming options, although a suitable name can be found for all the cab / tender options.

Motive power used on the NCR over the BR years included:

Maunsell N Class (best look for the Bachmann ones with straight sided tenders)

Drummond T9 (Hornby with 8 wheel tender most suitable)

Bulleid original pacific (Hornby)

BR std class 4mt tanks (Bachmann) replaced the T9s

Beattie Well Tank (Kernow - on Wadebridge to Wenford duties)

The above 5 were most common and are signature classes but the following also ran:

Maunsell U and U1

Maunsell 700 (rare)

Fairburn tank (short period in 1951)

Ivatt tank, Drummond O2, GWR 45xx, 8750, 1366 on Bodmin duties through the years

Closing years saw:

BR Std Class 3mt tank (Bachmann)

BR Std Class 4 75xxx (Bachmann)

Class 22 63xx (Dapol)

Classic 121 and 122 single car units

AC Railbus on Bodmin North to Dunsmere runs

Can add more details when I'm in the house...

Thanks for that.

I have a T9 with 6 wheeled tender.

Currently looking out for a standard 4 tank and an original light pacific.

I really need to finish the last boards and get the track in its final position. Some cork sheet is to hand for underlay.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that.

I have a T9 with 6 wheeled tender.

Currently looking out for a standard 4 tank and an original light pacific.

I really need to finish the last boards and get the track in its final position. Some cork sheet is to hand for underlay.

It's not easy to tell from the photos but your T9 looks like 30726, which is one of the ones with a narrow cab.

If you are inclined and want to run a prototypical loco then renumbering it as 30729 will do the job. This was the only one in BR period to have a narrow cab and 6 wheel tender.

For the record the other regular NCR T9s were:

30313 - wide cab with 6 wheel tender

30338 - wide cab with 8 wheel watercart tender

30709, 30715, 30717, 30718 and 30719 - narrow cab and 8 wheel watercart tender.

• RMweb Premium

Oh, have a look at your 6 wheel tender - some had the side frames stuck on the wrong way round. If so the guard irons will be next to the cab. The dodgy Chinese glue makes the fix easy. Loosen off the side frames and swap them around.

Oh, have a look at your 6 wheel tender - some had the side frames stuck on the wrong way round. If so the guard irons will be next to the cab. The dodgy Chinese glue makes the fix easy. Loosen off the side frames and swap them around.

I spotted the guards irons lurking at the front quite early on. It was an easy fix thanks.

Hi,

i Have been following your tread with interest, interested in how your get on with the baseboards, would you be kind enough to supply a complete track plan with fiddle yard?

Many Thanks

Gary J

Hi,

i Have been following your tread with interest, interested in how your get on with the baseboards, would you be kind enough to supply a complete track plan with fiddle yard?

Many Thanks

Gary J

Gary,

Will do. I'm working on how to make the fiddle yard. As soon as I do and it's laid I will draw out a plan.

I've been experimenting with flexing a Peco curved point. By cutting the webs between sleepers I've bent it by another 10 mm to approximate a 42" curve.

In this shot it is positioned to be the entrance to a private siding.

post-2484-0-62806800-1409346403_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-86003700-1409346416_thumb.jpg

Here shown with an unmodified curved point.

post-2484-0-11139100-1409346473_thumb.jpg

The coach is a Maunsell Brake Third, to pair with a Brake

Compo as a two set. A North Cornwall staple.

Bodge, The stack is a tad over 24" high with the other dimensions of 36" x 13".  Actually quite compact. Thanks, Ernie

Ernie,

This circular layout looks quite compact. What is the diameter of the completed circle and what is the radius of the mainline?

I'm very interested in the concept

Paul 4475

Ernie,

This circular layout looks quite compact. What is the diameter of the completed circle and what is the radius of the mainline?

I'm very interested in the concept

Paul 4475

Paul,

The radius of the inner edge is 3ft, with a board width of 250mm.

I'm using a nominal 42" radius for the mainline.  On the 'station' boards I have not tweeked the Peco points so there is an absolute minimum of 30" radius (Though nothing is anywhere like as tight as that)

• 2 weeks later...

Back home after a busy few weeks.  A trip to Northumberland saw a few stone bridges and structures.

Now home and keen to get on with the layout.  For these boards I have settled on a 42" general curve for the main line.  The Peco curved point coming from the main has been tweeked to tighten up the curve.  The other one forming the trap is as purchased.

A trip to Homebase secured some packets of cork tiles.  These have been roughly trimmed to form the ballast shoulder. 

The track is secured with some large pins for lining up purposes only..  These will come out when the track is glued down.

On the agenda is to choose an industry for this siding.  Any suggestions please.

post-2484-0-72069200-1410195996_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-22620400-1410196046_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-52290100-1410196059_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-52407800-1410196073_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-19609800-1410196087_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-83199300-1410196102_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-66957800-1410196116_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Not much in the way of industry on the real NCR but a few thoughts would be:

A quarry siding - from memory there was "Tom and Betty's" siding just a short distance from St Kew Highway.

A siding to a slaughter house - there was one at Halwill.

The biggest industry was the slate works a Delabole but that was much more than a siding!

Note that NCR stations generally had a assortment of provender stores in the station goods yard and almost without exception no coal depot.

Not much in the way of industry on the real NCR but a few thoughts would be:

A quarry siding - from memory there was "Tom and Betty's" siding just a short distance from St Kew Highway.

A siding to a slaughter house - there was one at Halwill.

The biggest industry was the slate works a Delabole but that was much more than a siding!

Note that NCR stations generally had a assortment of provender stores in the station goods yard and almost without exception no coal depot.

Wot no coal!!!  What do I use my minfits for?  I've seen some in pictures but suspect they may be for loco related use.  Any links to coal workings would be appreciated.

I am thinking of a working gate to the private siding, the actual track disappearing 'off scene', thus allowing wagons to be swapped.

I'm actually basing my service pattern on the information on the Bude thread.  I have bolstered my Hornby Maunsells to give me three 2 sets and enough other coaches for a service from London.

I've been successful in gaining an un-rebuilt West Country and want to see how it looks on the curves.

Yes there were coal deliveries but the merchant unloaded the coal into his bags / cart on site and took the coal away. The merchant was charged if he didn't empty the wagon and take the coal away after a certain time.

Thanks for that.  This modus operandi suits me, just have to shunt out the coal wagons and pick them up later.  The freight operation will be a bit stylised anyway. 

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that.  This modus operandi suits me, just have to shunt out the coal wagons and pick them up later.  The freight operation will be a bit stylised anyway.

Even the P4 boys fell for the "assume every station has coal surges" trap...

Sorry its not your scale but some of your pictures enabled my Meccano version.  In case some don't know of Meccano ask your fathers!

Brian.

PS The front bogie wheels  are now spaced a bit further apart than in the photo

!post-21098-0-90748700-1410209692_thumb.jpg

Archived