Kernow Model Rail Centre announcement 15/8

Paul.Uni

Bachmann did the class 14 in N after Hattons/Heljan did it in OO Gauge. 

But wasn't that because Bachmann were in the process of producing a 00 gauge one when the Heljan was announced and so they didn't want all the R&D to go to waste?

I hadn't seen the extra pic of the slide bar. If you go back to Kernow's facebook page for 29th July, you'll see the CAD that I'm talking about, clearly a brake van, which they said they would release details of in a few weeks, so could be more than one item in development

Brilliant Kernow are commissioning more exclusives/limited editions, yet I cannot help but to hope they shall do something modern....say commission Bachmann to do a run of the Wessex Trains 150/2 in the colourful liveries of the SW.

I still say Port of Par "Twins".

Strong Cornish connection, the pictures all look credible and the restricted clearance plaque mentioning not looking "over" the cab seems like a bit of a clue given their very cut down nature.

Oh well, all will be revealed tomorrow!

Roy

• RMweb Gold

I still say Port of Par "Twins".

Strong Cornish connection, the pictures all look credible and the restricted clearance plaque mentioning not looking "over" the cab seems like a bit of a clue given their very cut down nature.

Oh well, all will be revealed tomorrow!

Roy

They would make cracking models but I think the cast sign with the same wording appeared on many GWR locos, large & small

Looking forward to the reveal tomorrow too!

R-O-T

edit - so it makes sense!

• RMweb Gold

I think it's one of the rare Liskeard & Central Cornwall Railroad 'Sausage' class of 0-2-4 saddle tanks, which oscillated so much at speed when coming down Cheesewring Bank with the down 'Looe Limited' that the drivers regularly lost their bowls of tripe over the side. The locomotives, which had long boilers resembling sausages (hence their nickname), were reputed to be able to steam on anything, especially the foul-tasting black pudding manufactured by the Grumpsters Pasty factory in Morwenstow. This was rumoured to contain unhealthy levels of parsnip sulphide, which had been outlawed in Cornwall since 1798.

• RMweb Gold

I misread the phrase lost their bowls of tripe and added an extra E to bowls....which would be what I'd be doing coming down a bank on such a loco oscilating wildly :D

Not to worry, Mickey. As I'm sure you know, one of the villages near the Cheesewring is called Draynes....

I think it's one of the rare Liskeard & Central Cornwall Railroad 'Sausage' class of 0-2-4 saddle tanks, which oscillated so much at speed when coming down Cheesewring Bank with the down 'Looe Limited' that the drivers regularly lost their bowls of tripe over the side. The locomotives, which had long boilers resembling sausages (hence their nickname), were reputed to be able to steam on anything, especially the foul-tasting black pudding manufactured by the Grumpsters Pasty factory in Morwenstow. This was rumoured to contain unhealthy levels of parsnip sulphide, which had been outlawed in Cornwall since 1798.

I have been musing on a saddle tank with a sausage shaped boiler. Were these locomotives built by Baldwin or Alco, they would have inevitably nicknamed 'red hots'. Not because the cab was cramped and uncomfortable for the driver but because they would have looked like hot dogs.

That delicacy being unknown in Cornwall in the 19th century, (or at least boiled red skinned frankfurters in a bun) the locomotives were inevitably given a locally relevant appellation.

Curiously the locomotive had copper chimney caps, brass safety valve covers, and Belpaire fireboxes (though the last of these were quite small for the length of boier) all features that would later appear in designs developed up east in Swindon.

post-1819-0-44870700-1408057151.jpg

The design of course has a long heritage with the earlier tender version going back to 1840.

The original 0-2-4 design for the L&CCR was a tender locomotive. (Illustrated below.)

When developing the saddle tank, the extra weight from the bunker changed the balance of the locomotive and allowed for a longer boiler and for the pistons to be repositioned forward of the driving wheels in the tank locomotive. The additional adhesion from the tank located over the driver wheels meant that the 'sausages' started vigorously when the tank was full, but less so when the tank was nearly empty.

Engine drivers knew that the 'sausages' were always best after a full tank and generally needed to take on more water after they reached Looe.

post-1819-0-25970900-1408057358.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I have been musing on a saddle tank with a sausage shaped boiler. Were these locomotives built by Baldwin or Alco, they would have inevitably nicknamed 'red hots'. Not because the cab was cramped and uncomfortable for the driver but because they would have looked like hot dogs.

That delicacy being unknown in Cornwall in the 19th century, (or at least boiled red skinned frankfurters in a bun) the locomotives were inevitably given a locally relevant appellation.

Curiously the locomotive had copper chimney caps, brass safety valve covers, and Belpaire fireboxes (though the last of these were quite small for the length of boier) all features that would later appear in designs developed up east in Swindon.

attachicon.giflccr024st.JPG

The design of course has a long heritage with the earlier tender version going back to 1840.

The original 0-2-4 design for the L&CCR was a tender locomotive. (Illustrated below.)

When developing the saddle tank, the extra weight from the bunker changed the balance of the locomotive and allowed for a longer boiler and for the pistons to be repositioned forward of the driving wheels in the tank locomotive. The additional adhesion from the tank located over the driver wheels meant that the 'sausages' started vigorously when the tank was full, but less so when the tank was nearly empty.

Engine drivers knew that the 'sausages' were always best after a full tank and generally needed to take on more water after they reached Looe.

attachicon.giflccr024.JPG

Priceless! Had me guffawing in the aisles, so to speak!

Well if that pic of Alfred's nameplate is not a "Wind up" I was correct!

If it turns out to be the case, even as a committed N modeller with no specific use for one (unless my fellow Club members allow me to use it as Station Pilot on Bradfield!!) as the Dragons would say "I'm in".

Roy

I have been musing on a saddle tank with a sausage shaped boiler. Were these locomotives built by Baldwin or Alco, they would have inevitably nicknamed 'red hots'. Not because the cab was cramped and uncomfortable for the driver but because they would have looked like hot dogs.That delicacy being unknown in Cornwall in the 19th century, (or at least boiled red skinned frankfurters in a bun) the locomotives were inevitably given a locally relevant appellation.Curiously the locomotive had copper chimney caps, brass safety valve covers, and Belpaire fireboxes (though the last of these were quite small for the length of boier) all features that would later appear in designs developed up east in Swindon.attachicon.giflccr024st.JPGThe design of course has a long heritage with the earlier tender version going back to 1840.The original 0-2-4 design for the L&CCR was a tender locomotive. (Illustrated below.)When developing the saddle tank, the extra weight from the bunker changed the balance of the locomotive and allowed for a longer boiler and for the pistons to be repositioned forward of the driving wheels in the tank locomotive. The additional adhesion from the tank located over the driver wheels meant that the 'sausages' started vigorously when the tank was full, but less so when the tank was nearly empty.Engine drivers knew that the 'sausages' were always best after a full tank and generally needed to take on more water after they reached Looe.attachicon.giflccr024.JPG

Hi mate,

Any chance you could send those dimensionally accurate works drawings over to Chris at Kernow?

I know he was after them for this model. ;-)

• RMweb Gold

Were these locomotives built by Baldwin or Alco, 

They had originally been introduced by the original Chairman of the Board, one Eustace P. Scrungepipe III, who had insisted on the appellation 'Railroad' for his new Cornish enterprise. The line was originally conceived as a high speed route from Launceston to the fishing village of Looe, which Scrungepipe intended to develop into a major international port for ocean-going steam ships and trans-continental hot air balloons.

Scrungepipe, who had been born in the small town of Arsse, Arkansas (pop. 23), couldn't persuade sufficient Cornish squires to invest in his project, so had to fund the whole line himself, thus causing him to go bankrupt three weeks after opening day and a premature intolerance for tripe.

They had originally been introduced by the original Chairman of the Board, one Eustace P. Scrungepipe III, who had insisted on the appellation 'Railroad' for his new Cornish enterprise. The line was originally conceived as a high speed route from Launceston to the fishing village of Looe, which Scrungepipe intended to develop into a major international port for ocean-going steam ships and trans-continental hot air balloons.

Scrungepipe, who had been born in the small town of Arsse, Arkansas (pop. 23), couldn't persuade sufficient Cornish squires to invest in his project, so had to fund the whole line himself, thus causing him to go bankrupt three weeks after opening day and a premature intolerance for tripe.

...........can't get off the floor........stop it!.........:) ........if only..........Kernow knew........what :) ........they'd ........started oh! Pick me ........:) ...........up.......... Stop it! :)

Archived