Kernow Model Rail Centre to produce GWR 1361 0-6-0 Saddle Tank

Andy Y

1361 Class GWR 0-6-0 Saddle Tanks OO Gauge

1363.jpg

Copyright 'Chowells' reproduced in accordance with CC3.0

Kernow Model Rail Centre are pleased to announce that they have commissioned DJ Models to produce the 1361 GWR Saddle Tank in OO Gauge.

Working in conjunction with the Great Western Society at Didcot gives a close working relationship and proven track record of high-quality models will result in a model that will be a welcome addition to most layouts!

The five 1361 locomotives were built at Swindon in 1910 and were set to work alongside the ex-Cornwall Minerals Railway locomotives. Their usual home was Plymouth Millbay, Devon, (later Laira shed) from where they worked in Millbay Docks and on the Sutton Harbour branch. Until 1928 some of the locomotives could also be found at St Blazey engine shed, Cornwall, where they worked on ex-Cornwall Minerals Railway branches, and also at Moorswater for working the Looe branch.

In 1920 one locomotive was transferred to Newton Abbot, Devon, for shunting the railway workshops there, a duty that was to continue until 1952. Other allocations were Taunton (1953–1961) for working at Bridgwater, Somerset, (again, mainly in the town's docks), and Swindon (1956–1961). One was tried briefly on the Weymouth Harbour Tramway in 1949, and another went to St Philips Marsh, Bristol in 1962.

We had originally intended to produce the 1366 Pannier Tank but after another manufacturer announced plans to produce this to avoid too much wasted research we switched to the 1361 Saddle Tank.  We have spent the last year working with the assistance and cooperation of the No. 1363 Restoration Team of the Great Western Society and been given full access to the only surviving locomotive as it is being restored.

Our research means we have complete details of all the variations of all five of these unique locomotives.  As with our previous Well Tank and O2 projects, our tooling will allow for every one of these variations allowing us to produce all five models to match even the subtlest differences between each of the prototypes.

A £5 donation from the sale of each model of K2203 will be made to the 1363 Restoration Team.

Chris Trerise, Kernow Model Rail Centre Managing Director, said "I am really excited about working with the Great Western Society on this project as it is not often you get to see the real locomotive assembled at the same time as you assemble a model of it!  I look forward to working closely together in the future on this and other as yet unannounced projects"

Drew Fermor, GWS Project Leader for the restoration of 1363, said "It is with great pleasure that we in the Great Western Society's No. 1363 Restoration Project take part in this exciting project to bring the 1361 Class to 4mm scale modellers. The real No. 1363 is a hugely important part of the collection at the Didcot Railway Centre. She is the sole surviving Swindon built saddle tank locomotive and is also the oldest Swindon built locomotive in our collection.

They were designed by Churchward and Holcroft, based on the 1392 Class of the Cornwall Mineral Railways. They were the last design of saddle tank engines built by the GWR and were unusual in that they used an outside cylinder arrangement and Allen valve gear. They remained virtually unaltered throughout their working life and as such No. 1363 represents a wonderfully well preserved example of early 20th Century locomotive design.

This type of locomotive was a successful, useful and capable machine, in service for over 50 years and we have no doubt that the model versions produced here will be of great benefit to the GWR / BR (W) modelling fraternity. We have given our full cooperation to Kernow Model Centre to help them maintain their customary high levels of accuracy in their forthcoming model and we look forward to the day when the 'little sisters' of our project locomotive can meet up with her at Didcot!"

David Jones, Owner of DJModels Ltd, said 'I'm delighted to be able to bring this model to market for Kernow Model Rail Centre, and I feel that, as with the O2 locomotive, DJModels can produce an accurate, great running model using our experience and our use of hard steel tooling, allowing for years of production of this model.' Adding 'this model will be designed and produced very quickly as work has already started on this model in China'.

Kernow Model Rail Centre are planning five versions: -

prod_43614.jpg
K2201 DJ Models 1361 Class number 1361 in BR Black livery with late crest and pristine finish.

prod_43615.jpg
K2202 DJ Models GWR 1361 Class number 1362 in BR Black livery with early emblem and pristine finish

prod_43616.jpg 
K2203 DJ Models GWR 1361 Class number 1363 in GWR Green with Shirtbutton emblem and pristine finish.

prod_43617.jpg
K2204 DJ Models GWR 1361 Class number 1364 in GWR Green livery with Great Western lettering and pristine finish.

prod_43618.jpg
K2205 DJ Models GWR 1361 Class number 1365 in BR Black livery with late crest and weathered finish.

The price of these models will be £124.99 Pristine and £134.99 Weathered, with a discount of £10.00 for pre-orders, which can be placed immediately either through our website or our store.  The models will be DCC ready with a 6 pin decoder socket.  No deposit is required and no funds will be charged until we are ready to send the models.

We have created a dedicated web page for this model - http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/150/GWR-1361-Class-Saddle-Tank 

Progress updates will be made through our weekly email newsletter.

• Like 17

I am pleased to announce that recently I was commissioned by Kernow Model Rail Centre to produce a GWR 1361 class 0-6-0 saddle tank steam locomotive in OO gauge.

Working with Kernow and the GW Society on this project will push it forward quickly, and indeed progress has been quite swift so far. I'm extremely pleased that £5.00 from every sale of model K2203 is going towards the restoration of the last survivor which is housed at Didcot Railway Centre.

Kernow are initially offering 5 versions available to pre order via their web site.

• Like 15

What a disappointment (whinge), never worked in the Manchester area (grumble), never shunted a steelworks (grizzle).....

So why the hell have I just ordered one!!!

Well, they're kinda cute.

• Like 7

Hi All,

A thank you from the No. 1363 Team:

"We in the No. 1363 Restoration Project are really grateful for the very kind financial support offered by Kernow Model Railway Centre from the sales of models of our 'Big 13'. We would like to publicly thank KMRC for this generous gift which will help in getting No. 1363 back to full health and steam her again for the first time in well over a quarter of a century. We have really enjoyed being part of this project so far and look forward to future cooperation between the GWS, KMRC and DJ Models on this and other projects."

All the best,

Castle

PS: I beat you all to it and ordered one a few days ago but I did have insider knowledge! Anyone care to guess which one I went for?!?

Edited by Castle
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Did these saddle tanks have G W R applied to them post war or did they wear shirtbutton through to BR livery ? I've never seen a photo of one as such in green livery.

• RMweb Premium

I dunno. Its not my territory but it is a bit different. Could be tempted to a GWR green one when it arrives. I think in retrospect Kernow may be happier going for the saddle tank version rather than the Pannier , as it is something different.

Just wish there was a McKernow up here in Scotland to get Dave into some Scottish locos , 812 Caley, D34 Glen, Jones Goods, Gordon Highlander.........

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What a superb choice - well done Kernow! I built a K's one of these many, many years ago, as an impecunious teenager I couldn't quite afford the slightly more expensive 14XX kit, so I settled for one of these. It got rebuilt a couple of times, but I really liked it. In the end, I sold it on to a friend when I changed the period I was modelling.

Will 1364 have Great Western or GWR as in the photo?

And Dave, will you make a space for a speaker?

Mike

Hi Mike,

I'll always try and find room for a speaker in every project. If I can fit one in ( and I'm pretty sure where already) I'll put the biggest one I can in.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ah, one of those ran light engine through Seaton Junction (stopped for water) one Sunday in July 1961, when it was diverted (due to flooding near Tiverton Junction) on the way to Bristol St Phillips Marsh :whistle: . That means I have an excuse to order one.................... :swoon:

P

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

on the way to Bristol St Phillips Marsh :whistle: . That means I have an excuse to order one.................... :swoon:

Me too!

I'd like to think that it would have only taken a bit more persuasion for Ivo to have convinced Harold Morris to take it to Bath Green Park, and that's more than the level of justification that I need...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Sounds great, will be a hard one to resist even if it doesn't really fit the layout.

Has there been any consideration of making the tooling capable of producing the earlier saddle tank version of the 1392 class on which the 1361 was based?  I think I am right in saying that other than having an open cab, they were very similar in design.

If Kernow end up selling the unpowered test shots at the sw members day in the way they have with the well tanks / westerns I will have to get one to convert as I have wanted a model of 1398 (Sharpness Docks) for a while

• RMweb Premium

Me too!

I'd like to think that it would have only taken a bit more persuasion for Ivo to have convinced Harold Morris to take it to Bath Green Park, and that's more than the level of justification that I need...

It would have needed 'running in' after attention at St. P M before departing for Bridgewater............................ :angel:

P

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If Kernow end up selling the unpowered test shots at the sw members day in the way they have with the well tanks / westerns I will have to get one to convert as I have wanted a model of 1398 (Sharpness Docks) for a while

Best join the queue then, matey!!

• RMweb Premium

It would have needed 'running in' after attention at St. P M before departing for Bridgewater............................ :angel:

P

No E in Bridgwater  , just to be pedantic .     :jester:

Sorry , just one E .    :punish:

Edited by Sidecar Racer

This announcement is very exciting. Thanks to Kernow Model Rail Centre and DJModels for undertaking this project.

The 1361 was high on my list for such a long time.

prod_43617.jpg

K2204 DJ Models GWR 1361 Class number 1364 in GWR Green livery with Great Western lettering and pristine finish.

I think that is in black. As far as I know, the only saddle tank to get a full green repaint with 'G W R' was 1925.

Even though the photograph shows a "G W R" livery I was wondering if the "Great Western lettering" as advertised really meant "GREAT WESTERN"?

I shall have to ask Kernow for clarifications.

It seems that several of us have the same question:

Will 1364 have Great Western or GWR as in the photo?

Just to echo Mike Riley's comments before I stick an order in; which livery is it to be on 1364? Pre-1934 'Great Western', or post 1942 'GWR'?

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Gold

The Kernow page DOES say GWR but as Miss P posted earlier the photo is probably wartime black and is very ambigious.I'm not sure saddle tanks carried this livery in the main.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/43617/K2204_DJ_Models_060_1361_Steam_Locomotive_number_1364

Edited by gwrrob