Kernow Model Rail Centre to produce GWR 1361 0-6-0 Saddle Tank

Andy Y

Hi mate, it's Dave, Mr Jones is too stuffy and formal ;-)

Unfortunately weathering hasn't been spoken about really as we've been concentrating on developing the model.

I'm sure Kernow will specify this in time, however the master will still be a Mercig work of art.

Cheers

Dave

:) edited the original post to reflect the above. Can't wait, just need to break the news to the Mrs now!

Any chance of a 7mm one to follow, oh my goodess that would be awesome !

Great Western.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys, just to stop the speculation, the photo shows 1364 in post war time livery of green with only GWR on the tanks.  I have seen photos of these cute locos with the full Great Western and the Shirt Button on the tanks.

Brilliant choice of prototype by Kernow.  I had one in 4mm and 7mm scale along with the Pannier version.  Apart from the 4mm saddle tank and 7mm Pannier tank the remaining locos were scratched built.

Also they appeared in black with the scrawny cat on a bicycle wheel under BR and then one or two got painted in green with the BR toten.

A very useful and long lived prototype.

Loconuts 

• RMweb Gold

Not sure how I missed this thread before, but I think I'm going to have to order one of these too. It will have to be a Shirt Button one if none actually carried Great Western. I like the previous idea someone had of just plain green too, so if they somehow became available I'd have one. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice, but the logo on the tank is spelt wrongly. There seems to be a W where there should be an E. Dammit that is the best explanation of how one crept up towards Hertford. Made a jolly useful shunter at Ware...

So that is why I have to buy one too...!

Edited by EHertsGER
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Were there any detail differences between 1361 late crest as being sold and 1363 or 1365 when withdrawn? Thinking of renumbering the 1361 to 1363 or 1365 to have a pristine model which survived into 1962.

The detail differences between various members of the class are established and the individual models will reflect any relevant differences.  Please PM me if you want further details in that respect as having put a lot of time into researching the class I'm not going to chuck the stuff into the public arena where others might be looking and getting a free ride.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi - just found this thread so apologies for the late arrival (snow on the line). I am looking at getting one of the 1361 models but as I model pre-1923 there is the question of livery. I have been through the discussion and if I understand it correctly no-one has a photographic evidence of how 1361 may have been painted when she was built. Am I safe in presuming it would be no lettering and lining?

Sorry if this overlaps posts or I have missed something.

• RMweb Gold

Hi - just found this thread so apologies for the late arrival (snow on the line). I am looking at getting one of the 1361 models but as I model pre-1923 there is the question of livery. I have been through the discussion and if I understand it correctly no-one has a photographic evidence of how 1361 may have been painted when she was built. Am I safe in presuming it would be no lettering and lining?

Sorry if this overlaps posts or I have missed something.

Early photos of the class (apart from the works grey example) seem fairly difficult to come by - in fact interwar ones aren't necessarily easy to find either - but I think it reasonable to conclude that they weren't lined and like many GWR small tank engines at that time they probably carried no indication of ownership.  However I know a man who might have a bit more conclusive information than that so will ask when I next see him (in a couple of moths time).

Edited by The Stationmaster

thanks for the help - yes this is my feeling and as you say photos seem impossible to come by. I am hoping that I can "through some kind of magic" remove the shirtbutton logo from one of the models......

Hi All,

There is apparently a really early image of No. 1363 in the Great Western Trust photo collection at Didcot. I will see if this is true and report back...

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

Hi Dave

Are you going to use the same chassis for the Kenow 1361 as for the Hattons 1366, if so they are different, GA drawings both locos are available from the NRM for a small charge.

As far asI can see you do have some details wrong on these 3D CAD drawings.

Loconuts

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

Are you going to use the same chassis for the Kenow 1361 as for the Hattons 1366, if so they are different, GA drawings both locos are available from the NRM for a small charge.

Loconuts

Well I can't see them - and strangely enough the original drawing was used, complete to Harry Holcroft's signature - so perhaps now (er a mere 6months after the CADs were posted!!) you could elucidate us all regarding the 'errors'  as some people with intimate knowledge of the class don't appear to have come up with them?

Or are you on another 'let's bash Kernow/DJM trip having also spread despondency in the thread about the Kernow O2

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

Loconuts

I thought it was Heljan doing the 1366 class not Hattons.Have I missed this ? Looking forward to this model.

Hi All,

There is apparently a really early image of No. 1363 in the Great Western Trust photo collection at Didcot. I will see if this is true and report back...

All the best,

Castle

I think we would all like to see this - I guess it would be too much if it was in colour.......

Hi Mark,

Definitely not colour...

I'm still working on it by the way!

All the best,

Castle

I thought perhaps you could "colourize it"..... ;-)

Your effort is appreciated!

Well I can't see them - and strangely enough the original drawing was used, complete to Harry Holcroft's signature - so perhaps now (er a mere 6months after the CADs were posted!!) you could elucidate us all regarding the 'errors'  as some people with intimate knowledge of the class don't appear to have come up with them?

Or are you on another 'let's bash Kernow/DJM trip having also spread despondency in the thread about the Kernow O2

Should have gone to Specsavers, joking aside I have only just been directed to this site by a friend who wanted my opinion.

Happy to supply you with a list of incorrect/missing details, but before I give up my valuable modeling time to produce a list I must ask one question, are you going to take any notice?

Actually you do not need a list as these items are seen on the photograph of 1363 at the start of this topic and is where I got my information from. My GWR books and drawings are now with my son some 80 miles away near Didcot.

As for my comments on the Kernow O2, I did the maths having spent most of my life in Manufacturing Engineering and know most of the problems one is going to meet using subcontractors in China, we also got them with the subcontractors in this country and when working to a dead line th 

Should have gone to Specsavers, joking aside I have only just been directed to this site by a friend who wanted my opinion.

Happy to supply you with a list of incorrect/missing details, but before I give up my valuable modeling time to produce a list I must ask one question, are you going to take any notice?

Actually you do not need a list as these items are seen on the photograph of 1363 at the start of this topic and is where I got my information from. My GWR books and drawings are now with my son some 80 miles away near Didcot.

As for my comments on the Kernow O2, I did the maths having spent most of my life in Manufacturing Engineering and know most of the problems one is going to meet using subcontractors in China, we also got them with the subcontractors in this country and when working to a dead line th 

Whoops' computer glitch. Sorry guys.

I was going to say that when working to a dead line this delays always come up and bite you on the b*m.  I am sure DJ will say the same thing.  Not knocking Kernow or DJM.

Loconuts