Kernow Model Rail Centre to produce GWR 1361 0-6-0 Saddle Tank

Andy Y

In case you think details don't bother me

Lest you think that I'm unnecessarily bothered by details, don't. I don't count rivets, I'm not hung up on deviations due to manufacturing tolerances/technologies, or lack of features because of same. But the addition of something that was never there in the first place gives me pause for thought, especially at a premium price.

I'm more than happy to pay premium for quality, I'd rather pay more for detail and fidelity than less for corner-cutting. But the addition of something that was never there in the first place is careless. It's still cute, but that only goes so far.

There is no fix as such for the Kernow 1361.I just love it...warts and all.  :onthequiet:

At the end of the day, that's all that matters!  :good:

• RMweb Gold

Blimey, I thought splashergate was done and dusted. Just how many years are we going to revist the same old ground?

Roy

Indeed Roy.I just hope it won't be dug over when the main tranche arrives shortly.

Lest you think that I'm unnecessarily bothered by details, don't. I don't count rivets, I'm not hung up on deviations due to manufacturing tolerances/technologies, or lack of features because of same. But the addition of something that was never there in the first place gives me pause for thought, especially at a premium price.

I'm more than happy to pay premium for quality, I'd rather pay more for detail and fidelity than less for corner-cutting. But the addition of something that was never there in the first place is careless. It's still cute, but that only goes so far.

It rather depends on what each of us thinks constitutes a "premium price".That's a subjective call.The Kernow 1361 is a retailer commissioned item with a small percentage of each sale going to the GW folks at Didcot so I would expect to pay more in any case...well that's just my personal point of view.The other point I would make is that this particular model is in direct competition with its Heljan counterpart (on general retail release) at roughly the same price point and that model has had its own reliability/QC issues in any case. Imho despite splasher issues it is nowhere near as refined in detail as the Kernow model.For further reference look at the Model Rail review of both.

In the wider aspect can we honestly see the term "premium" of being currently of any relevance in any case when we see prices now climbing to the £150--£200 mark ? Makes £124 seem modest.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There is of course the old question about whether or not you can see particular features on a model at normal viewing distance.  If you can readily see, in all lighting conditions, an object which spends most of its time in shade and is 0.92 of an mm high then you are thinking the right way.  To be honest I suspect that in most viewing situations, especially with a bit of matt dirtying, you'll have to look quite hard to see these tiny humps well inside the outer edge of the footplate (click on the pic to enlarge it)

post-6859-0-91798900-1516534339_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There is of course the old question about whether or not you can see particular features on a model at normal viewing distance.  If you can readily see, in all lighting conditions, an object which spends most of its time in shade and is 0.92 of an mm high then you are thinking the right way.  To be honest I suspect that in most viewing situations, especially with a bit of matt dirtying, you'll have to look quite hard to see these tiny humps well inside the outer edge of the footplate (click on the pic to enlarge it)

I certainly can't see them. However, comma, the missing rear buffer does suggest a naughty shunter is now answering a "Please Explain". 

• RMweb Gold

As a p.s.to my post 606,Peter's Spares has the Heljan variety on at £159.99 plus p&p  buy it now on ebay.....now that's what I call "premium" :jester: 

I paid 115 sheets for my Kernow version currently enroute  to Blighty.

• Like 3

attachicon.gifDSCF0008cr.jpg

In your roughly 4mm to the ft photo (on an iPad screen) I cannot see the splashers.

• RMweb Gold

You've got a choice with this model - with splashers Kernow or sans splashers Heljan.

To me the Heljan is more plasticky and I think the paint job on the Kernow model is superior, if I was to buy either it would be the Kernow version

What I don't know is whether each manufacturer has managed to be model specific with each loco offered. I'm fairly certain Kernow will have tried, but are the Heljan versions accurate too?

Splashers are far more obvious in your post No 480 of the offside, where the splashers are not hidden behind the Toolbox. Those Images are not showing on my computer , right click and open in new tab to view the photos worked for me.

Has this Loco got the huge slop in the coupling rods like the J94 and 14xx  and other DJ related earlier models ? That would give me much more concern, than the splashers.

Edited by micklner

I'm impressed- my Heljan 05 actually completed an exhibition with the same number of parts it started with---  mind you at previous shows some of the bits that dropped off have gone back in the box rather than being replaced on the model (steps on the side the punters don't see etc).

The Beattie preformed faultlessly as usual.

Guess which 1361 I've got on order and why.......

Les

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

"Form 1"

That will come next 

Splashers are far more obvious in your post No 480 of the offside, where the splashers are not hidden behind the Toolbox. Those Images are not showing on my computer , right click and open in new tab to view the photos worked for me.

Has this Loco got the huge slop in the coupling rods like the J94 and 14xx  and other DJ related earlier models ? That would give me much more concern, than the splashers.

All depends on angle of view and lighting - my broadside views with the flash showed up the humps in a very stark manner.  Here's one that isn't so starkly lit and without the chance to say there's a toolbox in the way (which there wasn't anyway in the case of the 'hump' over the leading wheelset).  So here it is from the opposite end and the engine  is several times larger than life size in this view (on my screen with the pic at full size the chimney scales as 12 feet tall from its base to the top lip).

post-6859-0-27244600-1516618467_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

As a p.s.to my post 606,Peter's Spares has the Heljan variety on at £159.99 plus p&p  buy it now on ebay.....now that's what I call "premium" :jester: 

Oddly enough, KMRC have the Heljan version for only 11 drinking tokens more than the DJM version. That's a better comparison IMO.

Or I could always paint them red and pretend that they're the missing cylinder detailing!   :sarcastichand:

That will come next 

All depends on angle of view and lighting - my broadside views with the flash showed up the humps in a very stark manner.  Here's one that isn't so starkly lit and without the chance to say there's a toolbox in the way (which there wasn't anyway in the case of the 'hump' over the leading wheelset).  So here it is from the opposite end and the engine  is several times larger than life size in this view (on my screen with the pic at full size the chimney scales as 12 feet tall from its base to the top lip).

attachicon.gifDSCF0006cr.jpg

"I see no humps."

Well, I could but only by looking really closely and squinting a bit and knowing what I was looking for

Assuming that page 18 of the February 2018 Model Rail is correct it would appear the loco is available in "O Gauge" priced at £ 124.99 !!!

I'll have a couple at that price  :jester:

T.Y. Po

• RMweb Gold

or 5-15 less if you shop

Oddly enough, KMRC have the Heljan version for only 11 drinking tokens more than the DJM version. That's a better comparison IMO.

Or I could always paint them red and pretend that they're the missing cylinder detailing!   :sarcastichand:

So you want the Heljan version at the same premium price ?   Your choice....shop around. And look at the Heljan thread

Just to round this off....hopefully.....these issues were exhaustively aired several months ago. Read back if you are concerned and look at reviews in the model rail press.Otherwise you are late to the party.

So you want the Heljan version at the same premium price ?   Your choice....shop around. And look at the Heljan thread

Just to round this off....hopefully.....these issues were exhaustively aired several months ago. Read back if you are concerned and look at reviews in the model rail press.Otherwise you are late to the party.

I came very close to it. But then seeing shirtbutton-too-small-because-handrail-too-low put me off.

What'evs.

• RMweb Gold

What I don't know is whether each manufacturer has managed to be model specific with each loco offered. I'm fairly certain Kernow will have tried, but are the Heljan versions accurate too?

The Kernow ones ('humps' apart) are as specific as they can be to the prototype numbers they are carrying, the Shed Codes are correct for each engine in the livery it is carrying, they chimney height is correct for each engine as portrayed as are the position of the tool box, tank vent, tank filler hinge, bunker back and so on.  Over the years - seemingly. by the 1930s in some cases - most engines in the class differed from others in some way or another and by the post war period there were probably only a couple which were the same as each other in every detail - typical GWR standardisation.  The preserved engine 1363, is different from all the others in one important respect as it has a different saddle tank with various fittings in different places and the tank side handrail at a different height.

From what I have seen of them all the Heljan versions seem to be exactly the same as each other.