Kernow Model Rail Centre to produce GWR 1361 0-6-0 Saddle Tank

Andy Y

To add to my previous post I now have dc power to the layout so out for a fresh from the box test it went (and no - not on static poly carpet like youtube would have you)

It runs like silk (crawls superbly) so based on this thread Im a little reluctant to return it for the minor weathering issues in case I'm then sent a dud - now back to the box until the rolling road arrives to run it in..

• 1 year later...

I had been considering these on special at Kernow but like many others was probably put off by all the "bad reports" of poor running.  Several times I thought that for the price it was worth the risk but always shied away and then I saw Jenny Kirk's video and thought what have I to lose,  so picked up one of each available.   My experience with the Heljan models most likely was a factor in my delayed decision to purchase the Kernow model.  Straight out of the box the locomotives ran well,  with "1362" an extremely smooth runner.  "1361" was perhaps a little less smooth but still had very acceptable running quality.  Out of the box I did not detect the motor noise mentioned in the Jenny Kirk video review.   I now need to run them in.  Why did I hesitate so long to pick up these gems? 

• RMweb Gold
On 22/08/2022 at 11:40, GWR-fan said:

I now need to run them in.  Why did I hesitate so long to pick up these gems? 

Mine runs very nicely as it gets used quite frequently for a bit of playful shunting for me to chill out after a day at work. Seen here taking some empty coal wagons back to Newton.

DSCN8754.JPG.3335b7ac7f6c8a142cfb6a9a55760cbe.JPG

DSCN8755.JPG.50a0e0c31c883056c6189dcdaf5de517.JPG

• Like 14

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

It’s a damned good model which seems to have unnecessarily picked up a bit of a reputation for itself.Maybe guilt by association ?  No problems for me and a lovely little beast to watch working. But there,I seem to have been the only one on the planet not to have had problems elsewhere with the Hattons DJM 14XX . So maybe I’m not the best “authority “…..After all,you speak as you find ?

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I seem to have been the only one on the planet not to have had problems elsewhere with the Hattons DJM 14XX

I know of as many good'uns as bad and still going strong so don't feel too lonely.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 27/08/2022 at 15:50, gwrrob said:

Mine runs very nicely as it gets used quite frequently for a bit of playful shunting for me to chill out after a day at work. Seen here taking some empty coal wagons back to Newton.

DSCN8754.JPG.3335b7ac7f6c8a142cfb6a9a55760cbe.JPG

DSCN8755.JPG.50a0e0c31c883056c6189dcdaf5de517.JPG

Is it still holding up well? @gwrrob

Did have it double heading as well yesterday with the Hattons Andrew Barclay.

If it can run all day quite happily without regularly cutting out etc, I do believe it's a very well designed model. Admittedly it was only on 3 old Lima MK1s with plastic wheels so not exactly a heavy load compared with other locos.

705 and 1362 double head into Stonebridge Junction High Level 17 06 2023.jpg

• Like 1