Kernow Model Rail Centre to produce GWR 1361 0-6-0 Saddle Tank

Andy Y

I recall seeing, somewhere in one of my railway videos - probably an Ivo Peters one, a sequence showing Bath Shedmaster Harold Morris visiting, I think, a Bristol shed and being offered a 1361 class (in pristine condition) that was surplus to requirements for transfer to Bath; (sadly he declined the offer).

Can anyone confirm which of the class it was, please?

Yes, you're right - I'm looking for a 'what if' !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Found it !!

It's in the Ivo Peter's Collection of videos - Volume 8 : 1962.

The loco in question is 1365, in BR black with no BR insignia - just smokebox and cabside (black background) numberplates.

So, I suspect that DJM / Kernow's model K2205 should not have the BR later insignia as listed. As K2201 is to be supplied with the BR later insignia and K2202 is to have the BR early insignia, it would be nice if K2205 could be produced without insignia and in moderately weathered condition - in fact as depicted in the 1962 video when it was offered  to Harold Morris for transfer to the S&DJR.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Found it !!

It's in the Ivo Peter's Collection of videos - Volume 8 : 1962.

The loco in question is 1365, in BR black with no BR insignia - just smokebox and cabside (black background) numberplates.

So, I suspect that DJM / Kernow's model K2205 should not have the BR later insignia as listed. As K2201 is to be supplied with the BR later insignia and K2202 is to have the BR early insignia, it would be nice if K2205 could be produced without insignia and in moderately weathered condition - in fact as depicted in the 1962 video when it was offered  to Harold Morris for transfer to the S&DJR.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

They must have cleaned it specially - see earlier post!

They must have cleaned it specially - see earlier post!

It certainly isn't pristine - but looks cleaner than in the 1961 image posted earlier.

It was, or just had been raining in the Ivo Peters sequence, so that adds a certain gloss!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

I've just returned from holiday and caught up on this news item - terrific! Thanks to Kernow, Didcot and DJM. I also notice that several members appear to be looking for an "excuse" to run one on their layouts. Well I've never felt the need to be totally constrained by this doctrine, having a slightly more relaxed view of what I run on my railway. However, now that the 1361, 1366 and Southern USA tanks have been announced I envisage a quayside micro layout in the offing! What a shame Andy Y has already sold Quayhaven.

Linners

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I see in MR200 that Heljan are planning to use the chassis from their 1366 pannier and introduce their own version of the 1361.

Wait for years for one of these and then suddenly 2 turn up at once.....

There is currently no planned release date and reading between the lines I doubt much if any work has been started on this.

I for one have higher confidence in Kernow / DJM and so will stick with my current order.

I think if Heljan have any sense they will quietly drop the idea, but it might provide some impetus to Kernow to move things along a little quicker to ensure they are first to market? .

• Like 2

I see in MR200 that Heljan are planning to use the chassis from their 1366 pannier and introduce their own version of the 1361.

Wait for years for one of these and then suddenly 2 turn up at once.....

There is currently no planned release date and reading between the lines I doubt much if any work has been started on this.

I for one have higher confidence in Kernow / DJM and so will stick with my current order.

I think if Heljan have any sense they will quietly drop the idea, but it might provide some impetus to Kernow to move things along a little quicker to ensure they are first to market? .

Well Chris's 1361 is coming along very nicely, and don't forget it has all the help it needs from the guys at Didcot too :-))

• Like 9

... it might provide some impetus to Kernow to move things along a little quicker to ensure they are first to market? .

In view of the Danes new found interest in steam traction, it might provide some impetus to Heljan to ensure they are first to market...

• RMweb Gold

In view of the Danes new found interest in steam traction, it might provide some impetus to Heljan to ensure they are first to market...

I think they might need to do a fair bit of research first if they are going to produce what they have said they're going to produce.  There's only one loco in existence and that is in the hands of the GWS who have been involved with the Kernow project in various ways for some months.  I obviously admit to having an 'interest' having been involved in prototype research on the project and making the initial contact with the GWS.  Also in order to sort the detail differences of various class members there's a lot more to it than simply looking on the 'net for pictures as the debate about liveries in this thread has shown.

In the meanwhile no doubt Heljan have been concentrating their efforts on getting the detail differences sorted on the 1366 panniers - plenty of them over the years and it gets even more interesting when trying to date some of them (no need to ask me how I know that ;) ).

• Like 2

Just  like  to  point  out  that  Heljan  have  produced  high  quality  steam  locos  in  H0  scale  for  many  years, take a look  at  their  website

www.Heljan.dk

Edited by Stevelewis

Just  like  to  point  out  that  Heljan  have  produced  high  quality  steam  locos  in  H0  scale  for  many  years, take a look  at  their  website

www.Heljan.dk

Hi Steve,

Doesn't that post belong on the Heljan section? Lol

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Heljan posted on Facebook today that they would be following up the 1366 with a 1361 and the CAD is well underway. :(

I can't believe how crowded the UK 4mm market has become in some areas - do one in N Gauge instead!

• Like 2

I'm Just glad that Kernow and I have the most knowledgable people on this subject on board, and the help from the GWS is proving invaluable.

Should be an interesting race methinks. :-)

Not forgetting though, that the model of the preserved version gets a donation for each one sold too.

• Like 12

Hi mate, it's Dave, Mr Jones is too stuffy and formal ;-)

Unfortunately weathering hasn't been spoken about really as we've been concentrating on developing the model.

I'm sure Kernow will specify this in time, however the master will still be a Mercig work of art.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

You just can't trust the Danes. First the Vikings and now the 1361.

It's all rather embarassing.

obama.si.jpg

And we only narrowly avoided her becoming queen of the world, well EU council leader.  I have also just noticed that it is HER hand pulling David C closer. That makes her unique amongst politicians in wanting to to close to him. :O