Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Dennis Shipman - Pickering Model Centre (formerly 'Puffers')

Bezzy Oppo

It is with a great deal of sadness that I relay the following:

Dennis Shipman

Published in the Gazette & Herald on 13 August 14

SHIPMAN Dennis Of Pickering, passed away peacefully in Scarborough Hospital after a short illness on August 4th 2014 aged 67 years. A much loved husband of Bronwyne and a dearly loved brother-in-law, uncle and cousin. Funeral Service to be held at the Parish Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, Pickering on Monday September 1st at 1.30pm followed by a private cremation. Family flowers only please, but donations if desired may be given for Macmillan Cancer Care, a plate will be provided at the service. All enquiries to Adam Collier Funeral Services. Tel. 01439 772340.

Dennis was a stalwart of several decades in the model railway retailing world; he was also a dab hand modeller himself. Well-known throughout the trade he was the epitome of consummate professionalism. He had time for anyone and everyone. I've never seen nurses cry, but they did. A real and proper gentleman to the last.

Dennis was, until the beginning of May, outwardly fit and well; looking forward to a well-earned retirement with his wife of over fifty years, Bronwyne. It has been distressing for all who've had to witness his failing health over the last few weeks, I can only admire the humility and courageousness shown by Bron during that time.

Pickering will be very much busier than normal on the 1st September. It will be a lot less richer thereafter.

• RMweb Gold

I had known Dennis for many years and we would always have a good natter whenever I went into the shop, even missing my train back to Grosmont once! He was always a great supporter of our club exhibition, always bringing his Thomas layout and a couple of others as payment for his trade stand.

RIP Dennis, you will be missed.

I will miss calling in and chatting to Dennis once a fortnight on trips to Pickering, he was always a true gentleman friendly, genuine and knowledgeable. Even just passing in Pickering he would greet me like a long lost friend. Good bye Dennis   

Dennis has been a friend for many years and a loyal customer. He was a great modeller, great retailer and great friend. He will be sadly missed by a great many.

Condolences to Bron and the extended family from us all. RIP

Archived