Cambrian Railways Numbers

Oh how this is a confusing subject! 

Firstly Works numbers. This should be relatively easy. I need all of them!

Secondly, and much less easy, I need to know the style of numberplate, and there were several. 

Early locomotives carried a rectangular plate, I'm Ok for these. Ex Mid Wales locos carried a cast plate, I'm ok with these. But later on 3 distinct numbering systems were in use. 

There are 3 options: Oval 'Cambrian Railways' with number; Oval 'Cambrian Railways Oswestry Works Rebuilt' with number and rebuilt date and finally cast numerals. 

Here is what I have so far: 

With cast numerals only:

2, 8, 11, 19, 22, 24, 25, 26, 34, 36, 44, 56, 58

With Cambrian Railways oval:

5, 7, 79, 83, 91, 94, 101

With Rebuilt oval:

4, 14, 15, 28, 29, 34, 42, 43, 48, 55, 56, 59, 65

Notice there are duplicated numbers! The Cambrian renumbered a bewildering amount of times! 

So can anyone point me in the direction of photographic evidence of which plate was carried by any locomotive not covered above? 

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if this is the same book/text but British Pre-Grouping Railways, part 14D lists most of the works numbers as well.

I have Kinder, Christenson and Miller and Christenson so I will look through and see what I can find.  I also have 'A New History...' but I am not sure that it as any new photos in it.

• 2 weeks later...

Have now acquired Peter Johnson's book, all the works numbers are in there. Plenty of photos I haven't seen before too, though not many of those are from the period where the oval plates were fitted. I will have to examine and go through my notes. Sadly not many of the photos are dated, and the well known photo of Sharp Stewart 0-6-0 on a passenger train at Llanymynech is labelled as being Jones Goods No. 15, which of course it isn't. 

• 2 months later...

Archived