West End Workbench

Hallo HM. If I were making a roof from scratch, I'd use brass sheet. Roll it to the main arc then form the eaves over some skirting or rod with your fingers. As the body comes away from the chassis it would then be easy to solder and form it as you fit it. In this case I eventually went with the supplied roof, using lolly sticks and elastic bands to get it to the right shape and then epoxy to hold it.

HTH.

I did promise some ferry wagons, so here you all go:

geropen1_zps3b6c8437.jpg

geropen2_zpsbe37e736.jpg

Distinct case of verbal diarrhoea on these and I now find I managed to overlook two complete panels of text when preparing the transfers. I have some more to make up, though, so they'll just fill a bit of space on the next sheet. Quite a contrast with the understated brevity of the Framlingham branch brake van:

frambrake_zpse8f41066.jpg

Edit - spelling.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Coaches varnished, glazed, nearly done.

lugcomp.jpg

Bogie sides to come from Dart Castings, handles to stick on.

d183_4.jpg

I managed to lose a vac pipe from one end of the D 183; apart from that and the handles, pretty well there. I will stick some black paper under the body so no light shines up from the floor.

d111_5.jpg

The D 111 will need something similar doing. I also need to matt down where the Araldite from sticking the roof on shows.

ecjs3_3.jpg

The EC third needs the rest of the corridor handrails sticking in and then the roof can go on.

gnhb_3_zpsdb6a88a8.jpg

Horsebox is ready for weathering.

D303_5_zps0472722a.jpg

Luggage brake awaits spring and axleboxes.

frambrake_zpse8f41066.jpg

I'd like to finish the brake van in time to deliver it at the Ely show. Only some tidying up and weathering to do now.

secrtwin_zpscc3cc8c3.jpg

I put this/these together in a hotel room this week - Cambrian SECR twin. Nice little kit, not too problematic to build at all.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 9

• 1 month later...

Bit of a lengthy silence from me - holidays, catching up after holidays and a bit of a loss of motivation all played a part. I have some exciting projects lined up, though, so hopefully we'll all have something to look at soon.

I have been tinkering with this and that - we're taking Thurston to the Ely show this year (next weekend, in fact) for what will probably be the last time. That usually means some weathering, repairs and catching up before I set off south and this trip will be no exception. I've been waiting to take some sunlit shots as I was especially keen to see how this looked in natural light:

B17_1_zpsa35898f7.jpg

b17_2_zps7493a517.jpg

No prizes for guessing I've been studying Mr Foster's technique with this one. Even outside it's come up much redder than it looks to the eye, but through the camera I can see one or two places to tone down and others to beef up a bit. The black wash all but disappeared when I rubbed it back again, but this is a much darker colour than garter blue and you can see on the cabside numbers, for example, that it is there. The heavy weathering on the tender side is an attempt to conceal the fact that the Hornby black lining came off when the weathering wash was rubbed back.

Your comments are welcomed.

These are also for this weekend:

d111_4.jpg

grano_3_zps04b1ea5c.jpg

fruit_vans_zpse1e95bf2.jpg

gcbrake_zpsfdf3b06d.jpg

The GC brake has come up quite well. The guard is a Monty's crossing keeper who's been promoted. The two fruit vans and the GW van were unpainted (but with transfers) in the stock box at the last show and so I offered to refinish them. I'm not sure what kits any of them are but they've scrubbed up (or down) nicely.

These are finished and will be test run at Ormesby on Monday:

d129_5.jpg

d183_5.jpg

The clerestory is still in progress although the end is in sight. The combination of Graeme's roof and the Kirk sides has made the cantrail a bit heavier than it probably ought to be but once varnished I don't think it'll look shockingly out of proportion. I also didn't notice the extra passenger when taking the shot.

ecjs_3_4.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Hi jwealleans, the D 183 brake composite, one of your recent models, is one which I particularly like. I believe that at least one of these coaches worked on one of the services to Whitby from York or Malton. There is a photo in the book 'North - Eastern Branch line Termini' by Ken Hoole, page 142, with, almost certainly, one these coaches, in one of the bay platforms. Dated 6th March, 1952.

I've followed your work for quite some time and just love what you've been accomplishing.

All the best,

Market65.

Thank you, Market. I've had a quick look at the photograph you mention and I think you may well be right. I'm told that the through coach to Whitby which was carried at one time by the Scarborough Flyer was one of these. I think this design of carriage was one of the best looking ever.

I was talking to Mr Scottiedog of this parish yesterday after the rain put paid to my garden chores. Quite opportune as I had taken the chance of some free time to make a start on another build for him.

First, though, I hadn't realised that I hadn't posted this since it was completed and primed. It's been awaiting delivery for some weeks.

d87_3_zps226449be.jpg

I had to be a bit brutal with the roof to get it to fit, but it did comply eventually.

So yesterday afternoon was spent working on this:

dandsd120_zpsdbc8d63c.jpg

Passenger brake van with additional shelving - is that the least controversial way to describe it? Whatever, they're an attractive and popular vehicle and the kit goes together (as you can see) very well and in fairly short order. Another evening or two detailing should see this one complete.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 5

Rattled through this tonight - not much to report, Dan's kits generally go together very well and this one certainly did. Roof fitting tomorrow - that may be more of a challenge.

dandcd120_2_zps9a946ceb.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi, jwealleans, I love that D&S van. It is indeed a great kit. I wish I had known, back at the start of the 1980's about the kit - for I had a go at scratchbuilding one of these vans!

Cannot remember just when the kit was first introduced - maybe the early '90's?

All the best,

Market65.

They're a nice little vehicle which is probably why they've attracted the kit makers.  I have four - one D & S in BR Crimson, one in lined teak and two Roger Chivers in lined teak.  I have another unbuilt Chivers kit which one day will be built as a D 170 or 171, the builds using ex-GN carriage underframes.  Isinglass Models also do a 4mm and larger scales kit which I have never built and Comet also offer a part kit, I believe.

One day I'll also get around to building something with the Kirk sides I bought to cut down into one of these but now, I suppose, can be built in all their 51' splendour.

• 2 weeks later...

The D 120 is now all but finished and ready to go back to Scottiedog. I kept adding details to it and making the roof fit which occupied a lot of time last week.

d120_4_zps18fa9989.jpg

New on the bench is a Rupert Brown kit, the first of these I've tried. I knew of the existence of this range but they weren't readily available for a long time - in fact they seemed to be a pretty well kept secret unless you saw Retford or Gresley Beat, both of which feature Rupert's coaches. I've met Rupert more recently and he's a charming and very helpful chap. The 4mm range, or at least parts of it are now with Andrew at Wizard Models and he was happy to part with this GNR D 96 BFK at Wakefield last year. They're not a complete kit but need completing with parts from other ranges.

So what do you get? In this one, sides, ends, floorpan and battery boxes. Several pages of instructions and suggestions as to parts to use to complete, usually more than one option as well as constructional hints and advice. I noted that Dan Pinnock had been involved with the development of the etches and having built a lot of Dan's, I thought that was an encouraging sign.

d96_1.jpg

The ends are a very clever design, with a foldup internal end allowing you to form the exterior to the correct shape. One caveat, though - once the roof is on it will be all but impossible to glaze any end lights and if they were clear all they'd show would be a sheet of brass inside. I patched over the lights in this coach before building up the end section.

The body is designed to split at the solebar which is very much my preferred approach. There's a strip to fold top and bottom of the sides to give rigidity, but folding the bottom one would have made it impossible to have the interior sitting on the floorpan so I cut it off. I was going to solder it back along the bottom of the sides, but they were pretty rigid and straight as they were so I didn't bother. I have put some 3mm brass angle along the sides of the floorpan to give the sides some support if the coach is picked up there. You get hinge holes but no hinges (easy enough with scrap etch) but no holes for door or grab handles and I've given myself a blister drilling them into one side.

d96_2.jpg

There's no provision for attaching footsteps, so they're on pegs soldered through the solebar. Duckets need to be made up (60 thou plastic). The bogies, buffers, trussing and roof are MJT, brake gear Comet and Wizard and dynamo I think Comet.

I'm pleased with this - I built the bogies on Thursday, started the ends on Friday and then had a long session last night thanks to having to be up until a ridiculous hour to pack my son off on a school trip. Thanks also to John Smart for his timely help, without which it would have stalled.

Roof and interior for this one and then I have a much larger project from Rupert's stable which with a fair wind we might get into next week.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 8

D96 has entered the paint shop after final details were applied to the body. The only thing (I think) still to add are the end jumpers and they'll go on after the lining is done.

d96_3.jpg

Works have now been busy churning these out for the next project.

bogies.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 5

... and we're off.

quint_kitchen_1.jpg

quint_kitchen_2.jpg

This is another RDEB kit and much more complete than the BFK - there are hinges, droplights and interior partitions. As you can see there are still a number of MJT parts specified as well. The kit is designed for the MJT articulation units and so that's what I've used. What isn't included (Rupert had already warned me about this) is the trussing on the two dining cars. This was updated in 1927 and will have to be scratchbuilt. I was in the Search Engine on Thursday looking at the drawing and will be ordering the bits from Eileen's later.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 9

Guest 2750

What chance is the for us mere mortals Jonathan!

Looking great mate. I will attempt my first Kirk this summer (with JW style treatment ;) )

Couple of evenings and we have a 1st class dining car. It still needs hinges and cleaning up.

quint_RFK_1.jpg

I'll leave the trussing on these until I've finished what's supplied in the kit. Here they're being pushed through reverse curves formed with PECO short and medium radius points, a test I'm pleased to say was successful. A credit to Mike Trice's articulation system.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 7

That will look nice in Carmine and Cream....   makes my Kirk offering look tame.

Oi! behave. Can only be vanished teak and permanently lettered up as King's Cross-Leeds...

Great work JW, looking forward to see it 'grow'.

Well, it keeps on growing:

quint_2.jpg

I shan't be able to manage an overall shot like that much longer. Progress will slow now as the Test matches are upon us and it's getting too warm to spend time in the workshop of an evening.

Built up the body of the 3rd class dining car this evening.

quint_RTK_1.jpg

In other news the D96 was teaked last week and I managed to cut out the interior over the weekend while I was away at a show.

gn_d96_4.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 7