West End Workbench

• RMweb Gold

Hi, I must say that I cannot wait to see the quint-art set completed! It should be quite a model. What you have done with the kit so far is simply magnificent. And, yes, I agree with Nelson Jackson, that the teak finish is of top quality.

All the best,

Market65.

We were pleased to welcome LNER4479 to Ormesby last night and he was able to watch the set test run for the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30JlyyVZiCY&feature=youtu.be

I was very pleased to see it run pretty well for a first time out - one bogie rubbing slightly and a bit of level adjustment to do, but overall not bad.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 9

Something of an interlude this evening - as if you need an excuse for a bit of fiddling with wagons. Last night my friendly Man From Peter's Spares brought along a pair of Bachmann fish vans. I've been looking forward to these having heard good things about them and by and large they didn't disappoint. Just a couple of things stood out when I saw them - the chalkboard on the side is white instead of slate coloured and the lettering looked a bit large.

I still had all the transfers out from doing some jobs last week so this morning and then again this evening I've tweaked one slightly. There's no more than half an hour's work here but I think it helps. Untouched van on the left, as if you needed telling.

fish_vans_1_zpsb6a90514.jpg

The number has been completely replaced (HMRS pressfix) but I've also taken about half a mil off the end of the top and bottom strokes of the E. Couplings removed, slate panel painted and the the roof given a coat of grey/black with talc. I wrecked a safety loop getting the unfeasibly long coupling screws out and the vac pipes are quite delicate as well. Once weathered and with proper couplings, though, these will definitely look the part.

As a further comparison, here's the cut down Parkside which used to be the only way to one of these vans.

fish_vans_2_zps55d5aece.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 16

I've repainted the affected side of the first van and here it is. I've renumbered the second one but left the Bachmann 1 in place so you can see how much larger their numbers are than the HMRS ones. I'll reduce that before they go into traffic.

fish_vans_3_zpsf393b976.jpg

When I finish them off I think I will replace the vac pipes and I need to make up a replacement brake lever for the repaint.

After that quick burst of wagon therapy it was back to the serious stuff tonight:

quint_BTK_1.jpg

Third class passengers will soon be able to be accommodated.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 7

Some more progress this evening. The trussing on the two dining cars was altered in 1927 from the former turnbuckle type to a more angular structure which was a forebear of the 1934 welded trussing. This is not catered for in the kit (I did know this) and so will have to be scratchbuilt with lengths of brass 1mm angle and section ordered from and supplied with great alacrity by Eileen's.

The outer trussing is in place after tonight's session leaving just the internal bracing to add at the weekend and then the whole to be tidied up.

RFK_trussing_1.jpg

I examined the Doncaster drawing for this at the NRM. It was dated 1923 even though the modifications weren't applied until 1927. One wonders if the revised design was a reaction to a problem with the cars or they were selected for experimentation for some reason despite being as far from bog standard coaches as you can get.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

When the workshop hasn't been too hot, I've managed to complete the trussing on the second Restaurant Car and remake that on the first as it was too low. Bit of tidying up and the last of the brake gear (when Dart Castings oblige) and construction is all but complete.

quint_rto_2.jpg

I also cut the rest of the roofs this evening. It's starting to look something like now. Yes, that nearest battery box is hanging off.

quint_3.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 10

• 1 month later...

This is a busy time of year and we had an exceptionally good crop of hay, so it's been even busier than usual.  All is safely gathered in, though, so more time at the bench beckons ( I hope).

I have been getting on with detailing and finishing the Quint, starting from the centre again.  The centre cars are almost ready for lining and letters now.

Quint_teak.jpg

The ends require more work, because of the domed ends.  They do give a nice result, though, once you've got them properly blended in.  Just a bit more to do along the cantrail here.

quint_bfk_end.jpg

Roofs won't be finished until I have the roof boards.  I have had a most generous offer to make those, so watch this space.

I have also been working on some coaches for Corfe at Ormesby Hall. Some of the whitemetal bogies are distorting or disintegrating with age, so we're having to rebuild them. We've standardised on the MJT ones as a replacement as they're robust and run well but are also fairly simple to put together. The old whitemetal bogies, once disassembled, serve as cosmetic overlays. I have no idea whether these are available any more even should we try to replace them.

lswr_fox_bogies.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 10