West End Workbench

Has all of the under-cab packing fallen out or only some of it? The rear of the loco now looks higher compared to the tender than it did in the previous picture.

Radial truck? You could always join the avant garde of fashion and drive that rear axle instead.

What are you short of, pending Mr Arscott's promise?

• 3 weeks later...

Well despite the silence things have been happening albeit not perhaps as quickly as I'd have liked. Most of it has been me applying paint, wiping it off and trying again, which doesn't make for thrilling reading. Mr Markits did come up with the correct goods second time around and so the last of the C1 mechanisms was made up and tested.

Ks_3296_mech_zpse21b5d57.jpg

This is a K's chassis for anyone struggling to follow. The flywheels came back drilled out to the right shaft diameter and have all been fitted.

Some applications of paint later this is where we are:

DJH_3276_10_zps13496a54.jpg

DJH (3276)

Ks_3296_3_zpsd9dcc961.jpg

Ks (3296)

As I was painting apple green I also brought the 4025 gallon tender I built for the Raven A2 out and that has been done at the same time.

4025_tender_zps81f10f8c.jpg

The lining needs tidying up but overall I'm not too unhappy with it. I'll use transfers for the rest.

While waiting for paint to dry I started on a couple of pending coaches. I had an MJT brake compo to build, but some of the components turned out to be for a standard rather than a brake coach. Instead it became this:

D5_1.jpg

This is a D 5 SFO (semi-open first), which I think was almost unique to the ECML. The sides are Bill Bedford's, I think; they were bought on Ebay as part of an aborted build using resin cast Hornby ends and all sorts of bits and bobs. It's come to a halt for the moment while I wait for some more parts from Dart Castings.

D175_1.jpg

We do need a number of brake coaches for Grantham, so while that's stalled I've also started this Comet D 175 BC. It's interesting to compare the two different approaches to the same coach: the Comet sides are much quicker to assemble as they're in two pieces, but the time saved is then spent making and fitting all the hinges, which aren't provided. I have to say I prefer the appearance of the MJT at the moment, but we'll see when they're both complete.

Finally a very happy Christmas and a prosperous and productive new year to everyone and a collective thanks for all your help and encouragement throughout the year.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 11

Thanks, Mick. I had made a note that there were panels on each side of the A2 tender and lining up the corners. Maybe that's wrong? Be much easier if it wasn't there. I don't have that Yeadon so I'm a bit short of decent pictures to work from.

The wheels are all lined by hand and yes, with the Bob Moore. I have an idea for a small device to make it a much easier job and will be talking to a man with a lathe after Christmas.

I almost forgot. I made this as well. I claim no credit for the design, it's a copy of the one Derek Buck uses for the Ely MRC shunting stock.

sw_jig_1_zps92f9f43c.jpg

It's a jig for setting up Sprat and Winkles. One end has a magnet set under the sleepers to make sure the hook drops (note OO wagon on EM track):

sw_jig_2_zpsd992c977.jpg

The other end has a goalpost to make sure the hook rests at the right height and the wagon goalpost is also correct. The visible discrepancy here is because Derek has set the wagon up with the hook through a slot in the buffer beam, but the stock on Uppingham, which this will be used for, has the hook below the beam.

sw_jig_3_zps53d289c6.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 2

If the A2 is for LNER era ? , normal layout for the lining.

Re the earlier  P2 wagons query  just got a copy of the book you mentioned. Excellent book .

I look forward to seeing the wheel lining tool.

Edited by micklner

We do need a number of brake coaches for Grantham...

Finally a very happy Christmas and a prosperous and productive new year to everyone and a collective thanks for all your help and encouragement throughout the year.

All the best for festive season to you too Jonathan and my thanks for your efforts expended in the Grantham direction during 2014. A personal highlight has been to see the Leeds Quint set appear during the year, a superlative piece of LNER modelling.

post-16151-0-40918600-1419460263_thumb.jpg

Nice to know we're going to have some rather better looking Atlantics to go with it than the one pictured!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1

Bit of a change today. Over the winter the locos we run at Ormesby are all taken off the layouts and serviced. I generally do the ones on Corfe. Last winter I didn't get them all done just working on club nights so I brought most of them home this time and went through them this morning. The test bench suddenly looked far more like Eastleigh than Doncaster:

corfe_service_2_zps85639ed6.jpg

corfe_service_3_zps43fe0aa5.jpg

I don't pretend to know much about them all but if anyone has any questions please ask and I'll do my best.

Servicing consists in this instance of a thorough wheel clean, light oil, quick inspection and test run. Any for heavy maintenance will go to Peter. There are one or two which have excessive chassis or coupling rod slop which he'll need to look at.

When wheel cleaning, I use the burnishing pencil then a cotton bud dipped in clean white spirit. You'll be amazed how much more comes off. I generally then use the other end of the bud to dry the wheel so you don't get any residue. Don't forget to do the back where the pickup bears as well.

corfe_service_1_zps425d6b4d.jpg

After that and a very convivial lunch, I had a good session with the Bob Moore this afternoon. There's more to do but you can only use it so long before it starts to dry up and clog and you go cross-eyed.

ks_3275_zpsf6b0adaa.jpg

djh_3276_zpsb80d78cb.jpg

The sharp eyed will note that the proposed 3296 has become 3275. This was due to a realisation that it had the wrong tender handrails. The loco boilers are lined with SMR transfers - they went on OK, but despite careful pressing and use of Microsol they have silvered to some extent. The tender of 3275 has been done with HMRS and the difference is quite apparent.

Question - is there any red lining at the top of the tender frames? There's no valance to line along and anything underneath would be invisible so I'm inclined not to bother.

The WSM body was so rough that it was impossible to line successfully so it's been through the paint stripper.

wsm_4412_zps272ab666.jpg

Irritatingly the brand new Railmatch aerosol I've been using has clogged, apparently terminally, so I can't do the tender until I procure a new one. Still, the loco will keep me busy enough for a while.

In between bouts of spraying and lining I have managed to finish a few wagons. You can't go all week without working on a wagon - t'aint natural.

hbvan_zps41693c9d.jpg

unfitvans_zps9a9cae2b.jpg

The one on the right is K's, with a plastic roof and Dave Franks buffers. Brake gear came from Mainly Trains. I intended that one for Thurston but we can get away with it on Grantham as well, although it is from the 1943 batch.

rodbv_zpscd152349.jpg

I also spent a happy hour or so making handrails and footsteps for this Smallbrook brake van. This will probably end up numbered as one of the batch sold to the North Eastern. They do come with a resin chassis these days but I'm afraid I was too hamfisted to get the wheels in without breaking it, so it's had to be scratchbuilt. It needs some cosmetic stepboard struts and a bit of solebar gubbins adding.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 9

I'd like to be able to more obvious progress, but we're at the finishing and fettling stage which always takes ages. Still, we can test run again on Monday which will help.

DJH_3276_2_zps80b4ef9e.jpg

3276 (DJH) is just down to final details to add now. This is undoubtedly the pick of the bunch but demonstrates the same issues Graeme had with the rear axle on his.

Ks_3275_2_zpsbcba231d.jpg

3275 (Ks) is playing up - I've clearly altered the relative position of some of the body components when I stuck back the bits which fell off in the paint stripper. I also removed some material from a slot under the footplate which allowed the body to sit fully down on the chassis for possibly the first time. I had to remove a fair bit from the rear splasher at one side to allow the wheels to rotate (plenty of clearance at the other side - which tells its own story about the kit). Running was very poor, though, which I traced to the crossheads and cylinders. Fettling those took a lot of this afternoon and finally one of the whitemetal crossheads fell apart. I'll get hold of some Comet ones next time I make up an order to Andrew H. To be fair that was the original plan until Comet went into their sad hiatus.

wsm_4412__zps2fd78c57.jpg

4412 (WSM) is moving through the paint shop and catching up the others. Mechanically this one isn't causing any issues. I may try to mount the cylinders of 3275 onto the chassis as that K's arrangement is a nightmare to reassemble. You can see the colour difference between loco and tender here, but both my spray cans of Precision Doncaster green have clogged irrecoverably so it'll have to be repainted when I next acquire another one.

comet_D175_1.jpg

I haven't done as much with coaches as I'd have liked over the holiday, but this one has moved on a little. Comet design their coaches to assemble body and roof to chassis as I like to and their single nut and bolt fixing at each end will be ideal for mounting the couplings. I was minded to put a fitting on each end to allow this coach to go at either end of a set. I have had to move the mounting nut and hole towards the end about 1mm to allow the coupling to pivot freely. I have also made and fitted all the hinges, which was one of those tasks you don't look forward to, don't enjoy but is worth the effort afterwards. I have another two to do as well. Yippee.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 10

I'd like to be able to more obvious progress, but we're at the finishing and fettling stage which always takes ages. Still, we can test run again on Monday which will help.

3276 (DJH) is just down to final details to add now. This is undoubtedly the pick of the bunch but demonstrates the same issues Graeme had with the rear axle on his.

Ks_3275_2_zpsbcba231d.jpg

3275 (Ks) is playing up - I've clearly altered the relative position of some of the body components when I stuck back the bits which fell off in the paint stripper. I also removed some material from a slot under the footplate which allowed the body to sit fully down on the chassis for possibly the first time. I had to remove a fair bit from the rear splasher at one side to allow the wheels to rotate (plenty of clearance at the other side - which tells its own story about the kit). Running was very poor, though, which I traced to the crossheads and cylinders. Fettling those took a lot of this afternoon and finally one of the whitemetal crossheads fell apart. I'll get hold of some Comet ones next time I make up an order to Andrew H. To be fair that was the original plan until Comet went into their sad hiatus.

wsm_4412__zps2fd78c57.jpg

4412 (WSM) is moving through the paint shop and catching up the others. Mechanically this one isn't causing any issues. I may try to mount the cylinders of 3275 onto the chassis as that K's arrangement is a nightmare to reassemble. You can see the colour difference between loco and tender here, but both my spray cans of Precision Doncaster green have clogged irrecoverably so it'll have to be repainted when I next acquire another one.

comet_D175_1_zps908b73a2.jpg

I haven't done as much with coaches as I'd have liked over the holiday, but this one has moved on a little. Comet design their coaches to assemble body and roof to chassis as I like to and their single nut and bolt fixing at each end will be ideal for mounting the couplings. I was minded to put a fitting on each end to allow this coach to go at either end of a set. I have had to move the mounting nut and hole towards the end about 1mm to allow the coupling to pivot freely. I have also made and fitted all the hinges, which was one of those tasks you don't look forward to, don't enjoy but is worth the effort afterwards. I have another two to do as well. Yippee.

Hi Jonathan

Will you be repainting and re-lining these locos or are you hoping that their current paint jobs will suffice? I wonder as the tender lining at the top left corner of the WSM model doesn't look right.

I understand your comment about the hinges etc. only too well. I have converted an old Mainline coach to an LMS non corridor using Comet sides. The coach is finished other than having to add the fiddly bits - one day I will get the urge, but it's been a while coming and doesn't seem to be any nearer just yet!

Phil

Edited by PGC

comet_D175_1_zps908b73a2.jpg

I haven't done as much with coaches as I'd have liked over the holiday, ....

Well, I'd be happy with that amount of progress! 3276 looking mighty fine (hope to see it tomorrow evening) and the Brake Compo too. :good: I'll bring my camera...

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm, been a while. George RR Martin can take a deal of the blame for that. Still, we're all up to date now and back to the bench.

I sat down and made the new cylinder stretcher for the Ks atlantic this evening. The slidebars took a great deal of thinning down to allow the brass Comet crossheads to slide freely. I think they're about half their original width.

Ks_C1_new_stretcher_1_zps84vv3n3s-1.jpg

Ks_C1_new_stretcher_2_zpsdz1dyrtd.jpg

Ks_C1_new_stretcher_3_zpscdybp6bb.jpg

It attaches to the forward stretcher on the chassis which I'd filed back quite a way to clear the bogie. I have built up a new Comet 6' 3" bogie as well which I'll try to pivot from somewhere between the driving axles. I expect I'll need to make up new frame sections as well once we see how much clearance there is down there. I need some brass tube to replace the missing piston sleeve on the rear of the cylinder and I don't have any the right size, so that'll be a Doncaster purchase, I expect.

Still no bits from Dart Castings so no more coaches started. The ones I was building have come on a little:

BB_D5_2.jpg

SFO - bit more filling and smoothing and the rainstrips over the doors and it'll be into the paint shop.

Comet_d175_2.jpg

BCK likewise, there's just a bit of finishing on the roof ends and an approximation of the alarm gear to make.

RDEB_D49_1.jpg

Have we seen this before? RDEB ECJS D 49 BTK. This is awaiting an MJT roof so the Kirk one is just there to give you an idea. This is a 58'6" coach I think. One of the expanding range available from Andrew Hartshorne.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 11

Bit of an aside, but one of the batch of apple green vehicles going through the paint shop is Arthur Kimber's prototype 4125 gallon tender which I built last year. It has been awaiting this particular batch of painting ever since.

I asked for it especially as I prefer the Raven A2 with this rather than the Gresley tender, but now find that for Grantham the Gresley one is correct. In the future, though, it will tow this.

The loco is due for a repaint to the same standard as the tender in due course.

a2_4125_1_zpskgptewlz.jpg

a2_4125_2_zpsyihqvlbr.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Been a bit quiet lately, so I thought a few pictures might be in order.

Still adding odd details to the C1s. The DJH is the nearest to completion - whistle, cinder guards and crew, I think. I'll be picking up bits for the others tomorrow at Doncaster.

DJH_3276_3_zpsni5wzy9t.jpg

Still no bits from Dart Castings, but the two coaches I have been able to get on with are coming on. Interiors are made, lining and transfers applied and varnished over. There is something odd happening with the bogies on the D5; I picked some up on Ebay and I think the presstuds are slightly different. They will need packing down a little to clear the solebars.

BB_D5_3.jpg

BB_D5_4.jpg

I had a bit of a mental aberration when checking the number for the BCK and gave it a 1931 number, so it ought to have a truss underframe. I'll swap it with the other I have started to put together.

Comet_D175_3.jpg

Comet_D175_4.jpg

Finally, for anyone who's been tempted, the new Hornby LMS horsebox. As everyone knows you can never have too many horseboxes and they can travel almost anywhere. This was distinctly pink when it arrived - I'd have said BR Carmine if I hadn't seen the lettering. So it's had a quick blow over with Rover Damask Red and looks rather better, I think. It's also had Mansell wheels fitted, just for a bit of variety.

LMS_HB_1_zpsj1a44mpd.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 11

Steady progress on the atlantics. For anyone who hasn't seen it on the Grantham thread, LNER4479 took this very fine picture of 3276 on the scenic board from Grantham which is being worked on at Ormesby:

3276_peascliffe_zps4djuyfz0.jpg

In the works, 3275 has had the cylinders mounted and the new Comet crossheads fitted. The front bogie is also a Comet replacement, I think running trials beckon for this one next week.

Ks_3275_7_zps5oxshagg.jpg

I've had the offer of a better tender for 4412 so the WSM one may well end up as a sludge carrier.

WSM_4412_6_zps7csdpza6.jpg

Finally having looked at the finish I've managed on these 3, I've decided the odd colour on 4444 will have to go and it will go in for a repaint in due course along with two other green engines which I have to refinish.

Ks_4444_3_zpsscalbu0x.jpg

To conclude, a couple of previews for you of items which will feature later this year:

On Sunday at Doncaster my attention was drawn to this, in a tatty box and shrinkwrapped but only £57. Got to be worth that even if it didn't run.

Nucast_j6_1_zpsxphzmwo7.jpg

I went to drop it behind Tony Wright's table and he was kind enough to give it a clean, an oil and a test. Not only did it go, it ran very nicely indeed on his test track. Layout running on Monday night, however, showed that with the current, original, whitemetal chassis there's not enough sideplay to get it round 3' curves even without the tender. An etched chassis, which was the initial plan, is therefore back on the agenda along with a repaint and detail.

Finally, I also collected these from the very able Mr King.

meat_containers_1_zpsgwos0hgq.jpg

These were on his thread recently and I believe one or two people may already have some. They're LNER meat containers, Container Diagram 15, as illustrated in the brown edition of Tatlow. Graeme has cast these, both container and corresponding conflat, from my masters. I shall be detailing these and completing them (including transfers) in due course but I'm sure Graeme will be happy to oblige anyone who might feel the need for one or two in the meantime.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 9

A very welcome parcel from Dart Castings during the week has meant some progress on carriages this weekend. With a bit of luck some of these will get a run out tomorrow evening.

BB_D5_5.jpg

Comet_d175_5.jpg

Glazing makes coaches seem altogether much nearer complete, I always think.

RDEB_D49_3.jpg

I was able to fit the roof to the D49 BTK, so the bodyshell is now ready for paint.

MJT_D175_2.jpg

I'd made up the sides for an MJT BCK before Christmas but was stuck awaiting floorpan and ends. They were part of the package which arrived. Most of the weekend's effort has been on this carriage.

Comet_D134_1.jpg

Yet another BCK - this is from Comet and will be a D134. There's another to start after this as well. It looks as if it's well on, but there are still all the hinges to make and fit and I haven't even started the floorpan yet. It's a real nuisance there being no hinges etched in.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 9

A very welcome and unexpected parcel on Saturday with a replacement tender for the WSM atlantic. In between painting carriages it's had a chassis fitted, coal rails added (4412 was one of those with 3 coal rails) and now awaits front and rear coal plates.

WSM_4412_7_zpsxqnlacoi.jpg

I also managed to drop it and break part of the front handrail (visible far side). I haven't found the missing fragment yet. If it doesn't turn up I may have to sculpt a repair piece from Milliput.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 3

Update on the C1 tender - a new piece had to be made and fitted. It's pretty much the same shape as the old one. Front and rear coal plates have also been made up and fitted and holes for the unwanted handrails and rear steps filled in.

C1_tender_zpsrijwguk0.jpg

In the meantime the carriage sidings are starting to fill up.

Semi-open first 4100 is just about complete. I need to have a session making corridor connectors and there are some notices to add to the windows on the other side. I had to order some more from John Peck.

BB_D5_4100.jpg

BCK 4236 of 1931 now has a correct, turnbuckle, underframe.

Comet_BCK_4236.jpg

The angle truss underframe is now under this as yet unnumbered Comet D 175.

Comet_D175_6.jpg

The paint shop have also been busy: MJT BCK 42873 makes an interesting comparison with the Comet version of the same diagram above

MJT_BCK_42873.jpg

and BTK 1388 has also been lined.

RDEB_BTK_1388.jpg

I've deliberately gone for a lighter shade of teak and roofs here to give the effect of vehicles more recently outshopped,

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 13

• 3 weeks later...

Another day, another D175. Getting very bored with these. Still, only one more to complete after this one.

Kirk_D175_1.jpg

This is a Kirk kit, adapted in the usual way with Paxolin floor, MJT underfloor fittings and bogies, and Evergreen channel and strip for solebars and steps. Sides have had the door handles removed and been drilled for MJT door and commode handles. Roof is Kirk cut down to the right length and yet to be drilled for vents or have destination board brackets added.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Still on with the D175s. These 3 are all about ready for final varnishing (Klear).

d175_42879.jpg

42879 (Comet) will be the Hull portion of Teak Set 3 down.

d175_42777.jpg

42777 (Kirk) is part of the main (Newcastle) portion of Teak Set 5 working down the first time.

An unexpected third carriage has joined the ranks - Locomotion were (and still are) selling Hornby teak carriages at £25. They're the post war version, here R4598:

Hornby_R4598.jpg

Note the lack of lining, '1' in the windows, and frankly rather disappointing teaking.

D175_42780.jpg

42780 will form the Halifax carriage in Teak Set 5 down second pass - this set only works down and is remarshalled between appearances. Apart from the obvious repaint, the 1 has been removed from the glazing, wire corridor handrails will be added, it's been adapted at one end to couple to the Bill Bedford coupling I use and I'll replace the handles with MJT.

Off to York tomorrow - I look forward to seeing some of you there.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 9