West End Workbench

The G7 van is now in primer and ready for delivery.

G7_Road_Van_5_zpswqotozjt.jpg

By special request for someone who likes to see the busy bits:

G7_road_van_6_zps5dfocvoq.jpg

The pull rods didn't seem to fit either set of holes so they went where they were easiest to solder up. I can't remember what I did with them on the last one I built and I don't have pictures of the underneath of them.

Primer for the 4 wheeler as well and I'm not on my third attempt at a roof which fits.

NER_4w_CCT_4_zpsafm8mrk6.jpg

So to a new project tonight. I still have some GN Atlantics awaiting the paint shop, so to go with them I decided to refurbish my Z/C7. This has run since I acquired it - here it is last summer on Grantham:

c7_zpsfff6263e.jpg

As you can see, wartime black and post 1946 number, so it had to be taken in hand. Doing some reading, I settled on 706, the first C7, mainly because I have pictures of it at Grantham and also showing both sides. Further reading indicated that by 1936 it had lost the Westinghouse pump and the steam reverser and had been given a replacement tender from a Q6.

First things first, the paint had to come off.

NER_Z_706_1_zpssv9t4xpy.jpg

I was going to put my usual Mashima 1420/High Level Road Runner Plus to replace the now unreliable open frame motor, but the gearbox wouldn't fit between the frames. I had to order a Highflyer, which as luck would have it arrived today. I've also been cutting material from the top of the cylinders to try to raise them as high under the running plate as possible, although they'll never be able to be completely accurate.

ne_4125_tender_1_zpszmwtguts.jpg

I would probably have replaced the tender chassis anyway as I think those old whitemetal tenders with the wheels running in the sideframes are more of a drag on the loco than anything else. Knowing that the tender had been replaced, however, and with one which was quite visibly different, I decided the whole thing had to go. Arthur K kindly obliged with his 4125 gallon self-trimming model. I built one of these for the Raven A2 some time ago and they go together with Arthur's customary accuracy of fit. I don't have any 15mm wheels, which I'll have to acquire at Spalding, so the chassis is just the frames and spacers put together, but the superstructure is going together nicely.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 8

Got the tender about as far as I can tonight. Like everything of Arthur's I've had it's been a pleasure to build - everything just fits and all you have to do is enjoy putting it together. I shan't fit the brake gear until I have the correct sized wheels and some of the castings won't go on until it's painted and lined.

C7_4125_tender_zpsgbzvxztd.jpg

It's sitting slightly high against the loco because of those oversized wheels: here it is with the one I made earlier:

C7_3_tender_zps7mgudggg.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 7

I've done some body work on the C7 - by 1935, the Westinghouse had been removed as had the steam reverser. They were also festooned with lubrication pipes. I've added a few but more need to go on once it's painted. New reversing rod from brass strip, lubricating pipes from copper multistrand wire.

DJH_C7_3_zpsmby1piir.jpg

DJH_C7_4_zpsdiwhb9vm.jpg

In parallel, I've stripped the paint from the last of the C1s I had to update. I don't know what anyone else has found, but I have had no luck with Railmatch aerosols - they always clog irretrievably after two or three uses, no matter how carefully I follow their advice on use, cleaning and storage. Having bought a couple of Doncaster green ones, I'm getting as much ready for the paint shop as possible before starting them so we end up wasting as little as possible.

4444 has been on this thread before:

Ks_4444_3_zps95a5b895.jpg

... and here with the paint and a fair bit of my detailing work removed.

Ks_C1_4444_4_zps8gpidwqo.jpg

Last weekend at Spalding, I came across this in an unmarked bag on the club stand. Being a sucker for a pregrouping van I bought it. Turned out to be a David Geen L & Y van (diagram 3, I think). It was almost complete, missing V hangers and W irons (as well as instructions). Question is, should it have 14mm wheels? I've looked long and hard at the picture on David's website and I can't decide. Given the extremnely tight fit of springs and axleboxes, I'm leaning towards the thought it maybe should have, although with the 12mm wheels I've fitted, the buffers are at the right height.

L_Y_D3_1_zpsc5rxmjtp.jpg

Edit - wrong make of aerosols.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Making progress with the painting. I seem to have painted an inordinate number of wheels today. I always think this livery looks rather sombre before all the lining and lettering goes on.

Ks_C1_4401_5_zps7p9qhfp0.jpg

I have decided that the C1 will be 4401 when complete.

DJH_C7_706_4_zpsdmgnrlf9.jpg

I also spent some time getting the new drivetrain for the C7 working. This is a Mashima 1420 on a 40:1 High Level Highflyer. It sits nicely up in the boiler. The flywheel must have slipped before the Loctite set, but it's not moving anywhere now. I'd have liked it closer to the motor.

DJH_C7_motor_zpsms0vexhz.jpg

The coupling rods were very sloppy, so I soldered washers to the rear of each hole, using my Masterchassis jig to get the spacing right, then I fettled them out again to the point of smooth running. I can't run it with the body on until I cut the pins back and solder on the washers, but there's some work to do round the cylinders and front bogie before we reach that stage.

I was able to pick up what I needed to know about the L & Y van at Wakefield, so that is now nearing completion.

LY_d3_van_zps3lvqcshv.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 10

Well, here's a slight diversion. Readers of 'Wright Writes' may have seen these when we did a little workbench tour. I spotted a couple of LSWR brake vans on Ebay a few weeks ago. It happens that we wanted some for Ormesby Hall, just to have a comfortable number, so I slapped a bid in. One looked kit built, the other scratch, or a kit I wasn't familiar with. Anyway, I got them for just shy of twenty quid the pair.

When they turned up I was well pleased - the D & S kit built one was worth that on its own, but the other was a very nicely executed scratchbuild of a 6 wheel van which the South Western apparently used on express freight to and from Southampton Docks. They were later reduced to 4 wheels, but for our purposes we're close enough in time (1917-1922) to their 6 wheeled existence.

What let the thing down a bit was a very shabby paint job:

LSW_6w_bv_1_zpsng26c7sj.jpg

That's no barrier to a decent end product, though, so they've been stripped, repaired, repainted and lettered and will be delivered next week ready to enter service when we open to visitors in March next year.

LSW_6w_bv_2_zpsddxfcs1u.jpg

I should say that the lettering is rather more wonky than I am usually happy to live with, but I'm using dry transfers (from Roxey) which are the only thing I had to hand. Nothing against Roxey - Dave Hammersley's a charming and very helpful bloke - but dry transfers are the work of the Devil himself and best consigned to the dustbin of history. For those who have never used them, don't. You only get one chance and they stick to everything except the model you want them on.

LSW_4w_bv_2_zpsxvrsf4e9.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 12

Well, here's a slight diversion. Readers of 'Wright Writes' may have seen these when we did a little workbench tour. I spotted a couple of LSWR brake vans on Ebay a few weeks ago. It happens that we wanted some for Ormesby Hall, just to have a comfortable number, so I slapped a bid in. One looked kit built, the other scratch, or a kit I wasn't familiar with. Anyway, I got them for just shy of twenty quid the pair.

When they turned up I was well pleased - the D & S kit built one was worth that on its own, but the other was a very nicely executed scratchbuild of a 6 wheel van which the South Western apparently used on express freight to and from Southampton Docks. They were later reduced to 4 wheels, but for our purposes we're close enough in time (1917-1922) to their 6 wheeled existence.

What let the thing down a bit was a very shabby paint job:

LSW_6w_bv_1_zpsng26c7sj.jpg

That's no barrier to a decent end product, though, so they've been stripped, repaired, repainted and lettered and will be delivered next week ready to enter service when we open to visitors in March next year.

LSW_6w_bv_2_zpsddxfcs1u.jpg

I should say that the lettering is rather more wonky than I am usually happy to live with, but I'm using dry transfers (from Roxey) which are the only thing I had to hand. Nothing against Roxey - Dave Hammersley's a charming and very helpful bloke - but dry transfers are the work of the Devil himself and best consigned to the dustbin of history. For those who have never used them, don't. You only get one chance and they stick to everything except the model you want them on.

LSW_4w_bv_2_zpsxvrsf4e9.jpg

They look good but then I am a little biased.

There were 4 of the six wheeled vans and they were changed to 4 wheel quite quickly. I have scratch built a 7mm one.

In between going cross eyed looking at lining, my patience gave way and I've made a start on the next carriage for Grantham.

This is a GNR D 218BB, which is a twin BTO-CK used on the Leeds services. Some of these or a very similar diagram had a pantry in the brake carriage but these are both ordinary carriages.

GN_D218BB_1.jpg

The brake end has been built along with the bogies and MJT articulation system. It's been a bit fiddly, this one, but I feel as if I'm getting into my stride with it. The other car will probably start to go together through the week.

What did strike me was how short these two vehicles are - here it's on top of a 61'6" FK so you can see the 11' difference in length.

GN_D218_BB_2_fk.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Oi - don't try running it like that on the layout. We do have standards you know (in this case 58mm max height gauge) :rtfm:

This pair of coaches is worth waiting for! looking very nice JW.

Weather brought me home early from work today,so I cracked on a bit. This is the composite part of the pair.

GNR_D218CC_3.jpg

I discovered, going over my source material on these carriages, that these were the first in Britain to be built articulated (as oppose to rebuilt, one assumes).

GNR_D218CC_4.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 11

GNR_D218CC_6.jpg

GNR_D218CC_5.jpg

Predictably, within half an hour of sticking the roofs on I'd found a photo showing the brake alarm gear at the other end, but it's too well stuck to come off now.

And yes, Thomas is waiting in the background in case they misbehave.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 5

The paint shop has been busy over the last couple of weeks. This is more or less finished now:

NER_CCT_2_zpsj9kayn2v.jpg

Twin has had a coat of filler primer, the roof filled and smoothed and the roof furniture applied. Rainstrips are still to add, bogie steps and construction will be complete here too.

GNR_D218CC_7.jpg

Also coming along, MJT BTK (4) destined for Teak Set 5 on Grantham. This was built by Dave Scott and traded to me for the NER vans I built a couple of pages ago.

MJT_BTK4.jpg

TK, also MJT, also by Dave Scott. The darker primer will help darken the final teak finish.

MJT_TK.jpg

Approaching the point of reassembly and testing, the pair of Atlantics

DJH_C7_706_5_zps87mibjyy.jpg

Ks_C1_4401_6_zpsawcnfjnm.jpg

Red lining is still to do on both. This batch of green has come up paler than the last lot I used. Still, a little variety won't hurt.

Finally, for Ormesby Hall, a Beattie Well tank being reliveried back to LSWR. It isn't reassembled here, hence the odd angles (which still don't hide the wonky boiler band)

BWT_lined_zpsowetkqww.jpg

Definitely a 3' rule finish, but the effect is there. This will have the donkey pump added once the lining is complete. I have thickened the buffer beam per the photo I'm working from, but I drew the line at shortening it.

Any pointers on the livery would be welcome as I'm no expert in this area. I have the HMRS Livery Register to work from, but you can never have too much information.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Following a trip to foreign parts over Christmas, I've been busy this week as Grantham's next show hoves into view. The other teak rake which I've been working on has been the focus of effort and I'm pleased to say that all the vehicles required have now been built. This set runs Down and firstly forms a working to Leeds, Bradford and Newcastle.

GNR twin built before Christmas - this is the main Leeds portion:

GNR_D218CC_8.jpg

GNR_D218CC_10.jpg

GNR_D218CC_9.jpg

GNR_D218CC_7.jpg

The remainder of the (truncated) Leeds portion is a 5 compartment BTK to D 37A. This uses Bill Bedford sides on MJT components:

BB_BTK5_D37A_1.jpg

BB_BTK5_D37A_2.jpg

After a BCK for Bradford, already built, the remainder of the train works to Newcastle. Missing vehicles here were a BTK (4) to D 114:

MJT_BTK4_D114_3.jpg

MJT_BTK4_D114_2.jpg

This is the carriage built by Scottiedog and passed to me. It's pure MJT and while nicely built, it's been a swine to paint and reinforced my belief in separate interiors and splitting carriages at the solebar.

The other missing vehicle from this set was a CK:

BB_CK_D7_1.jpg

BB_CK_D7_2.jpg

Full marks if you spotted that this is a Diagram 7, 2 1/2 - 5 rather than the much more common D6/D130 3 1/2 - 4. This is a Bill Bedford kit completed using MJT components.

This set is then remarshalled to form a Halifax/Leeds/Bradford/Lincoln working. The only missing vehicle here - and a type we've been missing for some time from the available carriages - is a Pantry 3rd.

BB_RTP_D151_1.jpg

BB_RTP_D151_2.jpg

This is a D151, the 1934 build with all electric cooking. Curiously, despite the plethora of battery boxes, the Isinglass drawing only shows one dynamo.

Tagging along with the batch, a D 115 TK, also by Scottiedog from MJT components. This will probably replace the Ian Kirk one which runs in set 3.

MJT_TK_D23_3.jpg

MJT_TK_D23_2.jpg

The aim now is to have these externally complete - there won't be time for interiors - for both Stafford and Nottingham. They can be finally finished at a more leisurely pace over the summer. Test running tomorrow evening at Ormesby.

(Before LNER4479 leaps in, I should mention that Set 5 also does a Ripon/York/Bridlington working but I have only begun to scope out what additional vehicles that will require).

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have skipped a few steps in preparing these carriages, but I was working up to a deadline. This weekend was the Grantham running session in preparation for Stafford show. While I do enjoy building models, it's very satisfying to see them doing what they were designed for in an authentic looking setting. This was also the first chance I've had to see the layout back up and with all the winter scenic developments in place.

Grantham_north_end_1_zpshjnar6yz.jpg

View from the north end looking towards the tunnels. This area has been transformed beyond all recognition in the time I've been coming up here.

Grantham_scotch_goods_1_zpspndg9rge.jpg

Of course, what I was really interested in was the new CCT in the 'Scotch Goods'.

Grantham_scotch_goods_2_zps5ylei8qc.jpg

Grantham_scotch_goods_3_zpskjlyoi3a.jpg

I can see the opportunity for some really nice photographs at this end of the layout.

Now, we don't run anything on the layout which hasn't been tested in advance. Here Mr King's latest addition to the fleet is being put through its paces. An ambitious attempt at a 9 car express was beyond it so a more moderate load was made up.

Grantham_north_end_really_useful_zpsujpf

In the background LNER4479 is bracing himself to tell one of the GN 4-4-0s that it's redundant and its replacement is blue with red lining....

Grantham_north_end_218CC_twin_zpsl8lfqoi

I hadn't realised that I hadn't put photos of the latest batch of carriages up since they were lettered and varnished. This is the ex-GN twin...

Grantham_north_end_D37A_zpsg6ukqzpu.jpg

... and D37A BTK (5). The aim is to have all of these glazed and externally finished by Stafford.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 10

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Have just finished going from end to end off this fantastic thread. Some really good models and info

I model NER in Australia. My layout is at moment in pieces after a house move. "Middlesborough" so haven't done any modelling for a few years. We are visiting UK in August so looking forward to catching up with the Middlesbrough Model Railway group, Will probably start on getting my layout moving again soon especially after reading all of this.

Regards

Neil, Australia

• Like 1

Well, thank you. I know your layout - I spent many hours reading through your website when I discovered it some years ago. It's pleasing to be able to return the favour.

If you're over in August then try to catch the Redcar Show (north-eastern themed layouts this year) and I can recommend visits to Ormesby Hall and the Cleveland club as well.

Thankyou

Unfortunately the steel works is all in boxes, the station is in one piece had to cut at both ends to remove, will have some "fun" rebuilding it. Going to change a few things as storage was an issue. Anyway at moment enjoying reading the thread getting me motivated to get everything going again. Have set up a work bench and have a few kits to build. Will definitely try to catch the shows & visit Ormesby Hall

Regards

Neil

• 3 weeks later...

I have been a bit quiet recently - intensive exhibition schedule, now drawing to a close and also a very nasty virus which has taken me weeks to start shaking off.

This weekend I was at Nottingham show with Grantham and was happy to find Dart Castings were there. Talking to them as I stocked up on bits for the next carriage builds, they mentioned a post which I'd forgotten about from last year. This was the section in question:

"Dart Castings have changed the design of the etched 8'6" bogie, doing away with the 'figure 8' hole which allowed two positions for the bearing and etching only one. This has the effect of making the bogie about half a mil higher - not much, but you can see that it shows on the photo. It also means that bogies are no longer interchangeable across the whole of the stock and given the design of Bill's couplings which I use, means that a higher carriage will lift a lower one slightly off the rails, making it easier for it to derail. I know there were height variations on stock, but on models it looks odd. Anyway, they've kindly agreed to make me some more of the old design, but these things take time to come through. "

Since then they've had feedback from other clients as well and have reverted to the original design. I said I was happy to alter the original post to reflect this and I'm also posting here to make sure the message gets about.

• RMweb Premium

when did you escape from the North fiddle yard for long enough to talked to Dart Castings?  

Its only now when I have remembered the other items on my shopping list I didn't buy.. oh well there will be other opportunities...

Baz

ps traction engine wagon now has KDs....

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here we are back after a long absence. I expected a bit of a hiatus as I had a number of shows grouped closely together, but as I said above, after Stafford I came down with a really nasty virus which has taken weeks to fully shake off (and even now I still get the odd coughing fit). That rather put a spoke in my wheels as far as getting on with anything major went. I did a little tinkering with wagons but only in the last few days have I really felt like getting on with anything.

So, wagons. I had accumulated a number which really only needed small repairs and refinishing, from Ebay and a number of other sources, so they came out one by one and were attended to. Some will do for Grantham, others were just to make space in the 'pending' trays.

GN_19ft_vans_zpsa08skayu.jpg

These D & S GN 19' vans will go well either in the Scotch Goods or at a push in the meat empties train.

GN_19ft_frigo_fish_zpskoxlmca5.jpg

The refrigerated and fish variants of the 19' van . The Refrigerated came to me via Honest Baz and needed the W iron reattaching at one end. Even after that it ran like a dog and so now has a pair of Bill's sprung units on which it glides effortlessly along. Completely transformed. The fish is a Jidenco (I think) which I picked up off the second hand stand when the EMGS had their AGM in Thirsk. I had to make the very characteristic bent straps at the bottom of each door and there's also a very prominent chain fastening to add.

DS_vent_gn_fruit_zpshe5yoioe.jpg

Another two, one for the meat, the other for the Scotch Goods. The Perishable van is the D & S kit - 51L do the NER version which had cupboard doors. One or two of those might be coming along in the future. The GN fruit van was also an EMGS stand find. I do like outside framed vans.

NER_fish_vans_zpsxzczoanz.jpg

A pair of ex-NER fish vans. I see one of the transfers has pulled up, have to attend to that. This kit is still in the 51L range.

LNE_fish_vans_zpslor6a77t.jpg

The LNER standard fish van, a very common and useful design. Sadly I don't believe this kit is currently available.

GC_fish_LY_D3_zpslqtpqxkq.jpg

GC fish van - I think this was Dan Pinnock's first cast kit? This was an earlier one as all the planking was plastic. The one I had directly from him much later had brass strip. The L & Y Diagram 3 van was a find at Spalding, just a bag of unlabelled bits. I could see it was pregrouping - Brighton was my first thought - but once built it turned out to be this, by David Geen. I discovered today that it ought to have a horizontal handle on the right had end of the side about a third of the way up.

NER_GC_opens_zpsykgkintv.jpg

I think the GC open has been seen before, an Ebay find. The ex-NER open has been refurbished - it was the first whitemetal wagon I built, glued, having bought it from the model shop in Peterborough, now long gone and still missed. I see the proprietor at shows in East Anglia from time to time. I stripped it, soldered it back together and it now awaits a load and weathering. This is also still in the 51L range.

NER_D67_HB_zpslccjdtpi.jpg

We've had trouble on Grantham with Kadees drooping under load. They tend to be the ones in the NEM pockets and the fact that the pockets start at different heights doesn't help. One of the vehicles under scrutiny has been the Hornby LMS horsebox which runs at the head of the KX-Holgate ECS. It was a quick and dirty way to get a Kadee onto that end of the train (it has an engine change) but I've not managed to pack and persuade it up to the right height. This is the replacement, a D & S NER D 67 box. The Kadee (147-ish) is mounted in a 252 box and has much less vertical movement. This will be tested at the next running session in June.

BWT_3_zpsruz1cqgz.jpg

I've had a fit of conscience about this, which I've had for getting on 3 years. I agreed to backdate it to LSWR condition for Ormesby Hall and finally made a start over the winter. I now need to fit proper couplings, reunite it with its chassis and complete the detailing - there's a donkey pump to fit on the other side and the pipework was different at that time. For the purists, I have chosen not to shorten it by 4mm, I thought that might weaken the front bufferbeam unacceptably.

DJH_C7_706_6_zps6feojw4i.jpg

Lastly, I stopped work on the trio of Atlantics I was doing to ensure that all the required carriages were ready for Grantham's outing to Stafford. That now over with, I dug 706 out of the box again this afternoon. Not much visible progress here but the rods have been refitted, loco-tender electrical connection is in place and it's been test run on the little test track. I had some trouble with the (homemade) trailing truck derailing on pointwork so I've put a centring spring onto it. We'll give this a run next Monday and see how it goes. The two C1s are nearing the top of the pile again as well.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 10