West End Workbench

Baz,

Terribly sorry, I saw GK's post and missed yours above. I posted a list when they first announced that they were taking them over. They seem to have sold on what was immediately in stock and since then supply has been irregular. I usually hear about what's available through the Yahoo group. Supply of castings seems to be the problem. I have had one of the long opens, a couple of CCTs and a brake van but I know that the Parker stock, for example, has not been made available as yet.

The website seems to have been shorn of a few links - you used to be able to get to Kings; Cross plates on there, but I can't see the link now.

The stand will be at Warley, I expect, we can ask there.

• RMweb Premium

Finally got round to semi finish the Jidenco CLC 6 wheel brake van I mentioned in a previous post..(the  D&S 4 wheel one is finished in CL livery)

post-7650-0-90351900-1475100343_thumb.jpg

Takes a bit of work but they do look nice..post-7650-0-90351900-1475100343_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

What buffer height have you achieved Baz? If, as appears to be the case, it is accurate, what lengths did you have to go to with the one piece fold-up internal chassis to achieve it? I had to put some extra bends in the chassis of mine (out of a many years old packet) to avoid a 16mm buffer height......

• RMweb Premium

What buffer height have you achieved Baz? If, as appears to be the case, it is accurate, what lengths did you have to go to with the one piece fold-up internal chassis to achieve it? I had to put some extra bends in the chassis of mine (out of a many years old packet) to avoid a 16mm buffer height......

I need to go off and check GK will get back to you soon

Recalling Graeme's construction photographs, the supplied one piece etch was just folded over and soldered to the underside of the floor - which gave a buffer height of something near 16mm.

Whoever built yours, Baz, must have ignored the instructions and done something different if they've used the supplied components.

Whoever built yours, Baz, must have ignored the instructions and done something different if they've used the supplied components.

Ignore instructions?!?!? :rtfm:  Now who would have the temerity to do such a thing? :mosking:

Edited by LNER4479

When I built the one above, I was given a set of instructions (although I did observe that they were probably more of a handicap...)

Fairly early on, you were told to fit all the handrails.

A few lines later you were told to fit the overlays on the corners... which the handrails go through.

That tells you all you need to know.

GN brake van now going through the paint shop. I did enjoy building this - I may try to get another done before Warley.

GN_6w_bv_2_zpspndeg8ex.jpg

I was demonstrating plastic kit building at Ormesby over the last weekend, so there will be some cattle wagons on show before long - again, the aim is to have them done for Warley, but I've had to order some brass W irons for them, so we're dependent on those arriving.

A quietly momentous event on Friday evening - the very last carriage from the Grantham building programme we devised some two years and a few months ago.

This is BTK (6) 41361 to D 178, which works to York in the 13:40 ex-King's Cross. It caused some confusion at Woking as it's already in the set remarshalling instructions despite not existing at that point in time. It will be there for Warley, with a fair wind and a bit of enthusiasm.

BB_D178_1.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 14

No roof for the carriage as yet, probably in tomorrow or Tuesday's post. In the meantime, these are two Parkside cattle wagons I built at our Ormesby Hall model railway weekend where I was demonstrating plastic kit building. These are very much under discussion at the moment, of course, so I decided to make these quite different and avoid brake controversy. These are the unfitted versions - an early one with the GN-style drop door and a later one with the three part full height door.

Parkside_UF_mex_zpsaqxv3noj.jpg

There's very little modification required, really. I used Tatlow part 4A, Steve Banks' article in MRJ 87 and Steve's website. I have used MJT W irons as these need to be shunted on Grantham, so they have to run square and freely. They also need weight low down. Brake gear came from the spares box - one set is MAJ, I think and the other is handily supplied in the new Parkside LMS cattle wagon which I also built over the same weekend. Buffers from LMS, door bangers using the Masokits etch.

The LMS one has also been painted and is shown here with a Dapol 16 tonner, again a product of the Ormesby weekend.

Dapol_16T_parkside_mex_zpstzrhecbb.jpg

The Parkside kit I built more or less as instructed although I did use thinner wire for the side bars. The 16 tonner was a kit I was given from Ormesby; I had a bit of a fight with the solebars which were bent all over the place and I had to remove the kiddie working hinges. It's had a bit of extra detail added and will end up as a nearly new example on Wickham Market.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

No roof for the carriage as yet, probably in tomorrow or Tuesday's post. In the meantime, these are two Parkside cattle wagons I built at our Ormesby Hall model railway weekend where I was demonstrating plastic kit building. These are very much under discussion at the moment, of course, so I decided to make these quite different and avoid brake controversy. These are the unfitted versions - an early one with the GN-style drop door and a later one with the three part full height door.

Parkside_UF_mex_zpsaqxv3noj.jpg

There's very little modification required, really. I used Tatlow part 4A, Steve Banks' article in MRJ 87 and Steve's website. I have used MJT W irons as these need to be shunted on Grantham, so they have to run square and freely. They also need weight low down. Brake gear came from the spares box - one set is MAJ, I think and the other is handily supplied in the new Parkside LMS cattle wagon which I also built over the same weekend. Buffers from LMS, door bangers using the Masokits etch.

The LMS one has also been painted and is shown here with a Dapol 16 tonner, again a product of the Ormesby weekend.

Dapol_16T_parkside_mex_zpstzrhecbb.jpg

The Parkside kit I built more or less as instructed although I did use thinner wire for the side bars. The 16 tonner was a kit I was given from Ormesby; I had a bit of a fight with the solebars which were bent all over the place and I had to remove the kiddie working hinges. It's had a bit of extra detail added and will end up as a nearly new example on Wickham Market.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but there seems to be something missing from the 16-tonner...

I've stuck almost all the bits onto the D178, but am likely to be busy preparing for Hartlepool show this week. In the meantime it's had a coat of Halfords Filler Primer and then a further coat of grey on the roof. I still need to make up and fit the ducket.

D176_btk.jpg

I made up a couple of gangway end covers for existing carriages in the Grantham set this week as well. These are the Mike Trice etched corridor connectors stuck to an Ian Kirk gangway moulding. The lettering is from the HMRS LNER wagon sheet. They're held on with a spot of PVA so it's easy to remove them if required. Lamps should be the next focus of attention, I think. This also shows that I missed the jumpers off the TK on the left - that was in the rush to Barrow Hill and I hadn't noticed until tonight.

end_doors.jpg

The D & S brake van is also complete and will probably be one of the weathering subjects at Hartlepool next week. The guard is a ModelU fireman. He'd probably be sent home for a haircut in 1938. Is he a reader of this forum as well?

GN_6wbv_lms_mex_zpsn6dbqa6f.jpg

LNER Cattle wagons (and the LMS one above) only need couplings and weathering.

LNE_mex_2_zpsjzyuzzcf.jpg

Also destined for the Grantham stock, I acquired a rake of these petrol tankers. The first one is part weathered - this will serve as an 'after' on the stand along with a pristine one.

Carburine_1_zpsbtroyzkk.jpg

Finally the 16 tonner. Thanks to Cambridge Custom Transfers for supplying the lettering by return. That must have been what was missing? This will have a very light dirtying as it will be in almost new condition on Wickham Market.

16t_fini_zpsoudr1lrl.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 16

• 2 weeks later...

Stock testing up at Grantham this weekend, so one or two new items are being readied. It had been observed that we didn't have many A3s, only A1s and also that almost all of them towed a GNR tender. Hopefully these will redress the balance a little.

2752_1_zpsjdalvoxn.jpg

Spion Kop is from a Hornby Flying Scotsman. Tender top (new type non-corridor), dome and single chimney courtesy of Mr. King.

4480_1_zps14vk64gy.jpg

Enterprise started out as a second hand Book Law without most of the problems which seem to have affected them. The front has sat high again when reassembled, we'll have to have a look at that. Right hand drive, but not much else done apart from that. Plates on both are from 247 Developments.

This isn't for Grantham, just something I can now get on with. I built this GNSR brake van just over a year ago and have been looking for suitable buffers for it ever since. I settled on LNWR ones which have the correct ribs at 45 degrees. They only have them on the outside, but that's a compromise I can live with until something better is available. David Geen kindly brought these into Hartlepool Show specially on Sunday morning.

GNS_D20S_BV_zpsvyfqyrdu.jpg

Finally the brake 3rd which has been moving through the finishing process over the last couple of weeks:

D178_teak_10.jpg

Some more varnish and an interior and it will be ready for Warley.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

As those who read LNER4479's thread may know, there's a show in Birmingham in a couple of weeks. Grantham will be there and so there's a little bit of preparation going on.

BTK_handles_interior.jpg

BTK above now has an interior and a full set of grab handles. Just a coupling to make up and it's ready to go.

C1s_detailing_zps6ahc2rf5.jpg

There's been an outbreak of C1s as well. 3275 has been in service for a while, but has finally had a front coupling added, a better coal load in the tender and will gain some fire irons as well. The other two, 4401 and 4413, have been at the 'almost complete' stage for a while but have now been tested and fettled on the layout. Front vac pipes and coupings, builders plates, fire irons all round. Crews are on order from ModelU but may not be ready in time.

There's been some weathering as you can see in the background of the photo above and also below. Not a great photo, I'll try to have some better ones taken at Warley.

2752_weathered_zpsbbemqzfh.jpg

Finally, not at all for Grantham but I do like to finish things once started, the GNS brake van. A bit different and an interesting little kit to build.

GNS_HB_finished_zpsduibdpoy.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 7