West End Workbench

Bit of weathering while I felt like it this evening as well.  Since Thurston last went out I've built about half a dozen carriages which we can use on Wickham Market and they need weathering to match the rest.  These were across the bench in the early part of 2017, I think.

BB-D244-weathered.jpg

D 244 Lav Compo.  These are Bill Bedford sides on MJT everything else.

Comet-D62-BT-2.jpg

Comet D 62 Brake Third.

Some NPCCS as well:

DS-D171-weathered.jpg

ex-NER D 171 Milk van.  We have a photo of one of these up the Framlingham Branch, so this will be used on that part of the layout.  Hence the S & W couplings.

DS-D87-weathered.jpg

D & S D 87 Milk Van.  Bit of a rescue job this one, hence the less than perfect grilles.  I have a D 86 almost ready as well.  You really can't run a GE Area layout without at least one of these kicking about.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

I didn't, Mick, but only because I didn't have any at the time.  I do now have some which came to me in a job lot of bits, but I haven't used any yet.  From memory they're all 10' wheelbase and isn't the conflat 9'?

Yes Conflat is a 9ft wb, Comet do list a 9ft version. What axle boxes castings  and from where please ? thanks.

• RMweb Premium
On 03/02/2019 at 20:32, jwealleans said:

Bit of weathering while I felt like it this evening as well.  Since Thurston last went out I've built about half a dozen carriages which we can use on Wickham Market and they need weathering to match the rest.  These were across the bench in the early part of 2017, I think.

BB-D244-weathered.jpg

D 244 Lav Compo.  These are Bill Bedford sides on MJT everything else.

Comet-D62-BT-2.jpg

Comet D 62 Brake Third.

Some NPCCS as well:

DS-D171-weathered.jpg

ex-NER D 171 Milk van.  We have a photo of one of these up the Framlingham Branch, so this will be used on that part of the layout.  Hence the S & W couplings.

DS-D87-weathered.jpg

D & S D 87 Milk Van.  Bit of a rescue job this one, hence the less than perfect grilles.  I have a D 86 almost ready as well.  You really can't run a GE Area layout without at least one of these kicking about.

Hi Jonathon/All,

Love the rolling stock pics, but i'm slightly confused about your excellent rendition of the Dia.62. Going by the diagrams in Michael Harris's "LNER Standard Gresley Carriages", the drawing differs in that the coach is portrayed with 5 compartments and the brake section reversed i.e. the Guard's door in the centre.  In the "LNER Carriages" reprint, also by Harris, a picture on page 52 appears to back up the diagram, and also shows that the brake section doesn't carry the usual end windows.

However, in "LNER Standard Gresley Carriages", a picture on page 105 shows a 5 compartment Brake Third, but with the Brake section in the conventional manner. The number also seems to match the Diagram.

LNER_Gresley_Dia._62_Brake_Third.jpg.a9f4a4c546b14b1d673720838b9bb3bc.jpg

This is my scrathbuilt attempt before weathering, and to say im puzzled is an understatement!! Hopefully your superior knowledge can shed some light on this perplexing mystery!

Keep up the good work!

Gaz.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

That's an odd one.  Harris (the brown one) comments that the guards door was at the passenger end, without saying why, but then illustrates what he says is a D 62 vehicle laid out in the conventional manner.  

They were all built for the Southern Scottish Area, so it may have been a local requirement.  It's also, I suppose, possible that some batches were built to a different layout but the diagram number not altered.  I'll ask about.

On 20/10/2009 at 19:47, jwealleans said:

100_3626_zpsd2f02097.jpg

I spent a long time messing about with different ways to make up the turnbuckle on the tank retaining straps, but in the end I've invoked the 3' rule. They'll be painted black anyway. If someone tells me about some nice etched ones from somewhere I'll change them. The only obvious place I could think of was David Geen and there weren't any in the tank wagon kit of his I built a couple of years ago.

If you want a real challenge, you could do what I did when upgrading Lima milk tankers - solder short lengths of 16BA (?) screws onto the end of the straps and tension them with matching nuts!

.... but only AFTER you've overdosed on tranquilisers - what little hair I had left was pretty much all torn out during that ill-advised exercise!!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Blimey, John, you've been digging.  I did wonder about doing something like that at the time.  In the end a friend found some really nice moulded plastic turnbuckles which I still have in the envelope somewhere, having signally failed to get round to them.  What would probably spur me to actin would be finding the right transfer for the tanks - they should be dark blue with gold lettering for the 1930s period.

Gaz, you've started quite a debate about D 62 BTs.  Seems they were built for the SSA (the former NBR) and mirrored the arrangement on the older stock they replaced.  I have been sent several photographs showing that at least some were built as per the diagram and your model.  Harris, however, does illustrate at least one which has the conventional arrangement.

There was another diagram, D. 59, which was also laid out this way, but that was built on recycled GCR underframes and the layout was imposed by the position of the guard's brake wheel.

6 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Blimey, John, you've been digging.  I did wonder about doing something like that at the time.  In the end a friend found some really nice moulded plastic turnbuckles which I still have in the envelope somewhere, having signally failed to get round to them.  What would probably spur me to actin would be finding the right transfer for the tanks - they should be dark blue with gold lettering for the 1930s period.

Gaz, you've started quite a debate about D 62 BTs.  Seems they were built for the SSA (the former NBR) and mirrored the arrangement on the older stock they replaced.  I have been sent several photographs showing that at least some were built as per the diagram and your model.  Harris, however, does illustrate at least one which has the conventional arrangement.

There was another diagram, D. 59, which was also laid out this way, but that was built on recycled GCR underframes and the layout was imposed by the position of the guard's brake wheel.

Please PM me at cctrans@hotmail.com - I tried to PM you here but got a spurious message that my In-box was full!

Regards,

John.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 10/03/2019 at 05:14, Worsdell forever said:

I'm surprised you got those Ricketts transfers on straight, they're normally bowed... :mocking_mini:

Couldn't stop a pig in a ginnel, as we used to say...

• Agree 1