West End Workbench

Finally the all important test against the buffer height jig showing that we're about right.

Second time tonight I've seen this rather useful jig....

Where can one obtain one??

Regs

Ian

I've been away this week and so took the SNCF van with me. The major body details are almost complete and I made up some springing units to sit it on last night. It always feels like a huge step forward when a vehicle is on its wheels.

fasu_zpsbb88f3e8.jpg

The Toad came with me as well for handrail fitting. I added the last couple which needed soldering last night and finished off with lamp irons and vac pipes today. A light spray of red oxide and it's now in the airing cupboard.

bvan2_zps8a0db17a.jpg

Lows and tractors have also had details added and a coat of primer (for the wagons at least). The unfitted low is a Bachmann one which I discover is a pretty good match for an LMS diagram (1896, possibly?).

fergies_zps79b5deee.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 1

The unfitted low is a Bachmann one which I discover is a pretty good match for an LMS diagram (1896, possibly?).

Although the LMS ones had fixed sides and ends (which was probably why they were sanctioned to carry containers). Thought I''d best tell you before you topcoated itwink.gif

Nice kit, those Red Panda ones - have you lost a side rib BTW?

• RMweb Gold

Isn't the Bachmann body an LNER low-fit on a BR U/F?

It could be made to look like an LMS one (D1986 actually) without much trouble, the end hinges need removing and replacing with corner plates and bolts. The middle hinges could be altered into fixed stanchions and T section end stanchions adding. The axleguards are the wrong type, they would be better replaced but could be 'manipulated'.

Might give one of these a go some day.

I replied in here this morning but it seems to have gone astray... there, for my half-guessed, ill-founded assumption I have the equivalent of several hours research on a plate. I love this forum. Putting an LNER chassis under that body will not be a problem and a fitted UF is probably a better idea. I see Barry Cambrian does the D1986 we were talking about.

Red Panda - cracking kits, not come across them before these lowfits. Yes, I did start to remove the side ribs according to the kit notes and got distracted. I shall get back to those presently. Thanks to you both.

Yes, I did start to remove the side ribs according to the kit notes and got distracted. I shall get back to those presently. Thanks to you both.

Ah well, back up a bit then you impetuous foolblink.gif laugh.gif For that late pattern brakegear, you need them all to be present and correct - I'm sure you can restore that odd missing one with microstrip. The early builds (with either RCH or LNER brakegear) were the ones with less ribs (and for completeness, some later RCH-braked ones also had eight ribs).

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it has been a while. I'd love to have more to show for it as well, but that's just the way things are going at the moment. I do need to get my finger out and get some things finished for Glasgow show and I seem to be running out of weekends.

Isn't the Bachmann body an LNER low-fit on a BR U/F?

Not any more, it isn't. I have a bit of a glut of these in that case as I found three or four in a box of model railways which was to be thrown away. This one has had the correct chassis and (hopefully) will be ready for Glasgow along with the BR one. I may have replaced that rib... or this is the other side.. either way it's there again now.

lowfits_zps409af681.jpg

To go back to an earlier theme, here are the two brake vans I've been working on. The Dapol one now had transfers and is ready for finishing. It ought to have a 'WB 16'-0"' bottom left but I don't have any, there isn't one on the HMRS sheet and I'd rather no transfer than an incorrect one.I may try to pick up a Modelmaster pack at Glasgow and add it after the show.

bvans_zpsacf32a88.jpg

The Lima van I started after conversation with Graeme King, who had concluded that it was a pretty accurate basis for detailing. As I had my brake van head on and all the information to hand, I followed his lead and started to make more or less the same changes as to the Dapol one. When I replaced the horrible wheels with something a little more palatable I noticed that the buffer height was about a mil too high. They were also far too close together and not very accurate, so this has now had the buffers removed and some of my dwindling stock of ABS 20" ones substituted. I placed them a low as I dared on the buffer beam, given the discussion with Graeme about heights,. I see they point slightly down as well but they're not too far out. The difference in ride height can be seen comparing the end platforms. I haven't yet shortened the footboards or repaired the axlebox I drilled through. One thing I did find were some spare sprues from a Parkside kit (may have been the cattle van I bashed to a GN one last year) with axlebox covers on it. I shall try just sticking those over the end of the Lima ones and see whether I get away with that.

French van has wheels attached and is in primer...seems like weeks since I touchd it.

fasu_zps3fd3c297.jpg

Lastly the LNER opens. I was in Hereford for work the week before last and happened to arrive in time to walk down to the Model Centre and have a browse. In one of the second hand cabinets (great shop, if you're in the area, less than 10 minutes from the station) I saw a 3H kit for the LNER 6 plank open. I thought that would be an interesting comparison with the Cambrian, so I took it. I had all week in a hotel, so I built it within a couple of days as well. Here the 3H is bottom left. There's very little to choose in terms of appearance although the 3H was not as easy to build as the other two. The corners especially were a swine and I'm still not completely happy. The plastic is also very hard. I may yet scrap the brake gear and use one of the spares from the Cambrian build; although commendably fine it's very fragile and I've already broken one part of it.

opens_zps5013ce99.jpg

Just to show it was my week, when I opened the 3H box I found almost all of a Slaters Midland 3 planker in there as well. Expect to see that appearing here in a future update.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 2

Jonathan,

Very nice as ever, and I'm pleased to read you are bringing some of your stock to Glasgow, I look forward to the opportunity to see them in the flesh having followed the thread silently for a while now.

Can I ask the source of the "NOT TO BE LOADED WITH CONTAINERS" branding, as I have a few Lowfits of varying types dotted around lacking this wording. (That said, applying transfers between ribs on the steel bodies has been a bit of a pain)

Regards,

Jamie.

Morning Jamie,

Always glad to hear of a reader and if you make yourself known at Glasgow you'll be very welcome to have a poke round the fiddle yard, I'm sure. The transfers are Modelmaster; I don't make that much use of them because I don't like the carrier film and find it often leaves a very conspicuous halo around the transfer. In this case they were all I had. They do a pack for ex-LNER Lowfits. John Isherwood (Cambridge Custom Transfers) does a sheet for the BR built ones as well as the ex-LNER type and based on the others in his range which I've used they're probably a better bet.

I may have replaced that rib... or this is the other side.. either way it's there again now.

You've replaced it - you know you can't fool me, I'd know which side it was from the brakegearwink.gif

The Lima van I started after conversation with Graeme King, who had concluded that it was a pretty accurate basis for detailing.

Same conclusion here. I've always thought the body is an excellent example of Lima's finesse, and the planking on the verandah just sets it offcool.gif IIRC I've also used a spare roof on an Airfix kit bodge, which fitted like it, um, wasn't made for it. I wobbled on doing anything with the Lima chassis though, which is a different story; mine will sit on a spare Bachmann one

I wouldn't even presume to try to fool you, Ian, it's not worth wasting the effort. Yes, I did put it back. Graeme and I both decided to stick with the Lima underframe, with varying approaches. His starts down the page here. Mine is still catching his up. I've added quite a bit more detail tonight. Here you can see that I've had to fill in the hole at the bottom of the end, have reattached the inner ends and made the roof detail. I've also filled in the gaping holes left by the old handrails. Stepboards are shortened and the upper ones added. I've also replaced my usual Hornby wheels with what I think are Kean-Maygib which are visibly smaller and help the ride height problem.

lima1_zps7c9f4281.jpg

Here's the underneath view. I dispensed with the brake shoes when cutting the stepboard and replaced with some Parkside leftovers. Brake cylinder and V hangers are also from the spares box. The brass upper stepboard is secured with some soldered tabs at right angles to the board which are then superglued to the floor.

lima2a_zpsc1340121.jpg

The Dapol Toad is about ready for weathering; I applied white to the handrails in a 'heavy drybrushing' manner and once that's had a coat of varnish and a few handrails are straightened it'll be on with the filth.

dapol1_zpsa3cf911d.jpg

The Archer rivet transfers have worked well on the ends; the backing film shows up on the model which actually enhances the effect. It's the first time I've seen them do that in the time I've been using them.

dapol3_zps8ef55659.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Well, almost a month without an update. I'd like to say I'd been really productive and wow you with a new project, but life just isn't like that.

I have had a good month with trips to Doncaster and Glasgow shows and the pleasure of meeting a few friends from here. What modelling I have done is mainly confined to ferry vans and a bit of half-hearted tinkering with things on the odd day I've been at home.

Some photos anyway; recent WB items in action at Glasgow.

tractors_zpsccbc8a15.jpg

Toad unglazed and still without running lamps. It's back on the bench as we speak. It did run OK once I replaced the Dapol wheelset.

toadd_zps3396c97c.jpg

I have been doing some weathering since I came home - I was slightly shocked to find on Monday that the Ormesby layouts open again this weekend and I still had a bunch of wagons to finish off. Here are a selection:

100_6998_zpsc10eda55.jpg

These are all Cambrian, as it happens; the Midland van, the SECR open (I was slightly disappointed with that one) and one of the round-end opens.

I treated myself at Glasgow (well it was my birthday and it was the cheapest I'd seen one):

100_7000_zps10299837.jpg

As yet untouched but will be a future project.

I have plans for this open which will involve the improvements Paul (Worsdell Forever) has made and then probably a BD container.

100_6999_zps5f6a350a.jpg

For comparison a Genesis version from several years ago - I'm not even sure it's still available. It holds up surprisingly well although it was hard work at the time.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Well, we're finally back in business. Fully reroofed, insulated, reboarded overhead and almost as before. A few items have vanished into oblivion - for the moment - and I'm still getting rid of the awful fine black dust of almost 80 years which has got into everything, but I have been able to do some modelling at last.

I have some plans for summer projects, but initially I thought I'd clear some decks and finish off a few things which have been hanging around for some time.

These coal wagons have sat in the drawer for a long time. They make a nice contrast in sizes.

coals_zpse55b4f89.jpg

The opens are also done. I did end up using the Cambrian brake gear (you get a spare set on the sprue) for the 3H wagon. Not a lot to choose between them otherwise.

opens_zps0321df2b.jpg

Toads, of course. LNER one now lettered and has since been glazed. My cunning plan to use the Dapol running lamps detailed in the manner Mikemeg showed back upthread has rather been stymied by their being one of the items which has vanished. I think I can make some more up from Evergreen section and rod, though. Thanks to a contact on the LNER forum I now have the major parts for a Toad E in the kit pile as well.

toads_zps6c14be91.jpg

Like Micklner, I couldn't resist this at York. Everyone knows I'm a sucker for a horsebox.

hb_zps26997dcf.jpg

It needs metal buffer heads when I next order from Andrew Hartshorne and the door handles have been carved off to be replaced with brass ones. Transfers from Cambridge Custom Transfers. I think Mick mentioned the toilet window is fiddly - one other problem I found with it is that the white paint from the window seeped through any gaps in the frame and I had to repaint round it on the other side. After all the years of wanting Parkside to do an LNER horsebox this may be the only one I buy as I have another two of these from D & S to build.

Finally I made a determined effort to complete this NE brake 3rd. The instructions had also vanished but thanks to Mr Worsdell I was able to obtain another copy and complete it on Friday night. It's now entered the paint shop.

d77.jpg

They're a classy looking vehicle, these NER clerestories. There was a very nice rake on one of the 3mm layouts at York which was probably the best thing I saw there this year.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 3

Well, a bit of a stumbling week this week as things seemed to take a step forward and then another one back again. I painted the coach in the usual fashion but yesterday noticed that the varnish I use (Games Workshop Satin) was reacting with the paint. Now funnily enough the last time I had this happen was with the GE Clerestory I built which I painted the same colour. The paint is Precision Track Dirt (977, I think) which was Larry's recommendation. It was quite thick when I painted it on - perhaps it needs thinning out a bit the next time I use it.

I'm thinking at the moment that it hadn't dried properly as the reaction was sparse and patchy (but definitely there). I'd left it 3 days after painting, but not in a heated environment. Anyway, I wondered a bit about stripping it and finally decided to try gently smoothing the crazed effect with a burnishing pencil and applying more varnish to even out the surface. When I get round to building my layout it will be set around 1930, so this will be a 35 year old coach and you'd expect some deterioration in the panels. If it doesn't come up to scratch then I can always strip it.

nebt.jpg

I've also been making up Bill Bedford's springing units for some ferry vans and adding brakes to them, which is quite dull and I haven't bothered illustrating it. No. 2 son has started his much-requested wagon, though, now No. 1 son's aircraft has left the bench:

alexwag_zps5076e992.jpg

This has turned into a saga in itself; on laying out the parts, one solebar was broken. One side was bent as well, so after we'd glued one end and left it to dry I was showing him how to clamp the other end to straighten it. The clamp slipped and snapped a W iron clean off. So last night it's had one of Mike Trice's very handy RTR wagon compensation units added and been levelled up before he can resume building. He wants it to run on Thurston so it will be having the full Geoff Kent treatment. I have to say I was again unimpressed with the quality of the Dapol plastic, though.

As a reward for not having cut any of his fingers off he was allowed to choose the next build and here it is. I shall be perusing Mick's notes on it later as he did one a couple of years ago.

nehb_zps1162117c.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 1

Horsebox is now in primer - there are an awful lot of fiddly details on this model which are a nuisance to put on but make for a satisfyingly busy looking model when it's all done.

nehb_zps8e0141dc.jpg

The roof was a bit of a challenge - I ended up gluing it securely to the body then filling the eaves at each end with Milliput and filing/sanding back the shoulders to get the right shape. Now it's in primer I can see some minor tidying up to do on there. This one will be finished in early BR for use on Thurston.

The coach has had a few days to harden off before I apply transfers, which I will probably do tonight. I've put a couple more coats of varnish on there and there hasn't been any further reaction.

d77.jpg

Lamps have been attended to following a thread on the LNER forum earlier in the week about the colour they ought to be painted.

Finally I found some more-or-less right size Evergreen square section at Middlesbrough Show, so set to last night and knocked up these for the Toad D. I'll see how they look when painted, but so far I'm pleased. They're about 4mm high.

lamps_zps32148de1.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 1

16 tonner reached the paint shop last night:

alex16_zps8b934e7f.jpg

I dug out another stalled project. This was acquired from John (Hayfield) of this parish and has been lurking on the bench for quite some time It was pretty dimensionally challenged (roof different length to sides, for example). I haven't dared try it against a drawing. However with filler and plastic we can hide a multitude of gaps. It's had S & Ws fitted and I started building the brake gear last night. Irritatingly I did build a much better ladder for it from a Wizard Models etch, but it's completely vanished in the workshop renovation. I'm resisting the urge to buy another as it'll undoubtedly turn up as soon as I have no need of it.

grano_zpsc7eac6e8.jpg

I was studying Geoff Kent's scratchbuilt version at Ely show and that's given me the kick to get on with it.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 1

One wee thing you might want to do on the mineral J, is to remove the raised pips on the brakelever guide - they should of course be holes really, but it does look better flat than pimpled.

Grano is nice, I have a couple tucked away. Was it John or yourself that faired the roof into the sides? - I think that's the single biggest improvement that can be done to that kit

Cheers, Ian, I've now done that. That, as you gathered is the Dapol lever and V hanger - if we hadn't used that he'd have had nothing to do to fit the brakes as I wasn't going to let him solder up the lever and hanger on the other side. He has now painted it so it'll probably take a week or so to dry.

The Grano came to me as a pile of bits after John had stripped it down so it was me who put it together. As you say, making the roof the same width as the body was an obvious improvement. It's now had primer and a few more gaps filled as well as some extra stanchions which I hadn't noticed before. I'll put back the missing rivets and give it another prime (hopefully tonight) then it can go into the painting queue.