West End Workbench

On 15/05/2011 at 02:27, jwealleans said:

Well, we're finally back in business. Fully reroofed, insulated, reboarded overhead and almost as before. A few items have vanished into oblivion - for the moment - and I'm still getting rid of the awful fine black dust of almost 80 years which has got into everything, but I have been able to do some modelling at last.

I have some plans for summer projects, but initially I thought I'd clear some decks and finish off a few things which have been hanging around for some time.

These coal wagons have sat in the drawer for a long time. They make a nice contrast in sizes.

coals_zpse55b4f89.jpg

The opens are also done. I did end up using the Cambrian brake gear (you get a spare set on the sprue) for the 3H wagon. Not a lot to choose between them otherwise.

opens_zps0321df2b.jpg

Toads, of course. LNER one now lettered and has since been glazed. My cunning plan to use the Dapol running lamps detailed in the manner Mikemeg showed back upthread has rather been stymied by their being one of the items which has vanished. I think I can make some more up from Evergreen section and rod, though. Thanks to a contact on the LNER forum I now have the major parts for a Toad E in the kit pile as well.

toads_zps6c14be91.jpg

Like Micklner, I couldn't resist this at York. Everyone knows I'm a sucker for a horsebox.

hb_zps26997dcf.jpg

It needs metal buffer heads when I next order from Andrew Hartshorne and the door handles have been carved off to be replaced with brass ones. Transfers from Cambridge Custom Transfers. I think Mick mentioned the toilet window is fiddly - one other problem I found with it is that the white paint from the window seeped through any gaps in the frame and I had to repaint round it on the other side. After all the years of wanting Parkside to do an LNER horsebox this may be the only one I buy as I have another two of these from D & S to build.

Finally I made a determined effort to complete this NE brake 3rd. The instructions had also vanished but thanks to Mr Worsdell I was able to obtain another copy and complete it on Friday night. It's now entered the paint shop.

d77.jpg

They're a classy looking vehicle, these NER clerestories. There was a very nice rake on one of the 3mm layouts at York which was probably the best thing I saw there this year.

Do know of any LNER livery transfers for the Diag 5 horsebox?

Edited by EHertsGER
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oh cheers mate, I’ll send my posting details, I’ll look after them, is that what you meant by “two for Jesse”? 

I’ll try and finish the NER Luggage/Milk van tonight and start on the GNR 20 Ton 6 wheel brake van tomorrow (DS 337) 

image.jpg.904f325a7e79ea5f6f662f3afb92df17.jpg

cheers Jonathan 

Jesse 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Ah, so it’s a goods brake, not a luggage brake, then?  You’ll need a different picture putting up.  ‘Platform’ makes more sense in that context.

Yeah yeah it’s the heavy mineral brake van 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

On the last lap with stock for Ely show now - mainly containers as I don't think we have had enough.  These are the low hanging fruit from the batch as I didn't have to wrestle with any chains to complete these.  That pleasure awaits this week.  I'm also weathering other completed stock as I do batches so they can go into the boxes ready to travel.

lne-d87-small.jpg

The General van has been seen before, a find at Middlesbrough Show a couple of years ago.  The Parkside van was in a job lot and was bought for use as a weathering prop.  On a whim I sorted out the (missing) brake gear and added better buffers and here it is.  The chips in the roof are nowhere near as noticeable with the naked eye.  

parkside-vanfit-small.jpg

Traders labels have been a feature in pictures I've been looking at and one has found its way onto here too.

parkside-opens-containers.jpg

The two opens are for some variety; the steel high was another exhibition rummage box find which tidied up adequately and the LMS one I built.  Bits and bobs of tidying up to do, I see - it's remarkable what the camera sees, isn't it?

• Like 17

Of course, Tony.  Geoff Kent's 'The 4mm Wagon' should be mandatory reading for all would-be freight modellers - it certainly changed my approach to modelling.  Volume 3 covers containers and chains.

We don't appear to be able to link back to specific posts any more, but if you go back to Page 18 of this thread, two posts below the picture of the single A type chained to a conflat, I did explain my method of making up the chains.  I have moved on slightly as for this batch I used 1mm OD brass tube for the shock absorbers, which makes the whole thing stronger. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

To link to specific posts, click on the share symbol at the top right of the post next to 'report post', copy the text (ctrl+C or right click & copy) then in a new post click on the link symbol and paste the link (ctrl+V or right click & paste).

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/892-west-end-workbench/&do=findComment&comment=3546223

Edited by teaky

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Of course, Tony.  Geoff Kent's 'The 4mm Wagon' should be mandatory reading for all would-be freight modellers - it certainly changed my approach to modelling.  Volume 3 covers containers and chains.

We don't appear to be able to link back to specific posts any more, but if you go back to Page 18 of this thread, two posts below the picture of the single A type chained to a conflat, I did explain my method of making up the chains.  I have moved on slightly as for this batch I used 1mm OD brass tube for the shock absorbers, which makes the whole thing stronger. 

Thanks Jonathan

The link to your earlier post worked perfectly and it looks like I need to get hold of that book!

Tony

5 hours ago, teaky said:

Perhaps it was one of the things that stopped working and was then fixed again?

Alas no - each post has an individual link, but following the update these all changed (and send you back to the first page of the thread in question which is sort of helpful but ultimately frustrating). So you can link to the current site perfectly well, but as Jonathan - and I (my thread is  a similar length) - have found, the effort in making indexes to aid ourselves and other readers has been undone. I'm still quite annoyed about it and it means I no longer engage with the forum as I did. 

Heading back towards the topic, I really must sort out the chains on my conflats...

Adam

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1