West End Workbench

Morning Jesse,

You mean the bogie hoppered ones which evolved into the BR Walrus?  No, as far as i know the LNER never had anything like that.  I don't recall seeing any on Gresley Beat either, although I'm sure their stock changes.   The only ballast hoppers I'm aware of are the ones Hornby did a few years ago.

18 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Morning Jesse,

You mean the bogie hoppered ones which evolved into the BR Walrus?  No, as far as i know the LNER never had anything like that.  I don't recall seeing any on Gresley Beat either, although I'm sure their stock changes.   The only ballast hoppers I'm aware of are the ones Hornby did a few years ago.

Yes they’re the ones, I’ve constantly seen it, in YouTube videos and in a BRM issue. I’m confused, because everything else they have running in the media is all LNER stock. Why have 1 train that’s not....

Hornby and Cambrian 

12 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

The van's a Southern one as well; might it just be something as simple as someone wanting to give some stock they've built a run-out?

That’s what I thought, but consistent at exhibitions and also, a photo of the rake featured in a BRM article? 

Could it be that the Gresley Beat team know of a stock movement of these....

They could have come up from Feltham via the Widened Lines (if they were in gauge) but I haven't heard of the LNER buying ballast from the SR or vice-versa.    Shame you didn't mention it before York, I could have asked Cliff.  Loaded as well, so it's not as if they're being delivered from a builder.

I think Brian's theory is probably not too far wide of the mark.

5 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

They could have come up from Feltham via the Widened Lines (if they were in gauge) but I haven't heard of the LNER buying ballast from the SR or vice-versa.    Shame you didn't mention it before York, I could have asked Cliff.  Loaded as well, so it's not as if they're being delivered from a builder.

I think Brian's theory is probably not too far wide of the mark.

I’ve been pondering on it for some time, trying to do my own research. You wouldn’t happen to know anyone that could find out? 

Final preparations and finishing off.  Because I was very good and cleaned all my wheels on Sunday evening, i had time to complete this bonus wagon last night:

Parkside-conflat-clasp-chassis.jpg

A variant of the Conflat A with clasp brakes and one of the UNIT Models containers discussed back upthread.

A full 12 months after I said I'd repair it, this wagon from the shunting stock has a full set of buffers again.

pipefit.jpg

I was demonstrating weathering on Sunday.  That was handy.

DS-D18-E62700-E.jpg

DS-D111-61947.jpg

Finally, although I said I wouldn't do any more, i made up some headcode discs.  That also meant removing the overwide Hornby lamp irons on some new locos.

lamp-irons-discs.jpg

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 months later...

Well, after a long lie down following the show, I'm pleased to say another public appearance is in view.  I shall be demonstrating 4mm wagon building at Thirsk this Sunday, in the company of Rob Pulham (7mm wagon building), his very talented wife Chris (Railway Paintings) and Graeme King (splashing resin).  Thirsk Town Hall, 10:30 - 16:30.

http://www.expo-thirsk.co.uk/

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally the promised something new now.  At S4North in March I was talking to Ian MacDonald along with Jon4470 and Ian asked for any ideas for new kits.  Jon came out with the D45 steel BG instantly.  We've been looking at it since then and a couple of weeks ago some etches dropped onto the doormat.  There have been etches produced for this vehicle before, but they've been unavailable for many years.  Steve Banks illustrates his build of those etches here and also provides much invaluable prototype information here.  These were built in 1927-8 and were used on principal ECML services up to the War.

Ian's etches are for the sides as all the rest can be made up from MJT parts.  This is what you need:

MCG-d45-bg-parts.jpg

The sides have recessed strips for the raised beading over the seams to seat into and once the handrails are added you can flood them with solder from the rear.  The handrails along the length of the sides are a feature of this and the contemporary teak diagram (113).  Ian provides bending jigs on the etch.  

Construction is straightforward, making the same modifications as I do to all MJT vehicles I build.  The main points specific to this vehicle are the ends.  As they're also steel panelled, you have to lose the MJT detail and reprofile them to a different shape.  

MCG-D45-end-soldered.jpg

MCG-D45-end.jpg

It's quite easy to do and very much like the filling and shaping you do to the roof dome.  

When assembled the model has a quite airy look underneath as there's no trussing on this vehicle.

MCG-D45-side-1.jpg

MCG-D45-side-2.jpg

We gave it a test run at the weekend on what would have been their regular prewar working, the Flying Scotsman.

Grantham-D45-test-build.jpg

There is probably another test build to go through before Ian's happy with it but I'm sure he'll be happy to take expressions of interest and will let everyone know when it becomes available.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Jonathan

What I also meant to say was...thank you to Ian for picking up on the suggestion. I was surprised (and very pleased) when I saw the drawing. This is a vehicle that I’ve been interested in for a while now - it is required for the Northern Belle that I am slowly assembling.

Also, thanks are due to you for tolerating me joining the conversation in the first place!

Jon

On 26/08/2019 at 08:00, jwealleans said:

Finally the promised something new now.  At S4North in March I was talking to Ian MacDonald along with Jon4470 and Ian asked for any ideas for new kits.  Jon came out with the D45 steel BG instantly.  We've been looking at it since then and a couple of weeks ago some etches dropped onto the doormat.  There have been etches produced for this vehicle before, but they've been unavailable for many years.  Steve Banks illustrates his build of those etches here and also provides much invaluable prototype information here.  These were built in 1927-8 and were used on principal ECML services up to the War.

Ian's etches are for the sides as all the rest can be made up from MJT parts.  This is what you need:

MCG-d45-bg-parts.jpg

The sides have recessed strips for the raised beading over the seams to seat into and once the handrails are added you can flood them with solder from the rear.  The handrails along the length of the sides are a feature of this and the contemporary teak diagram (113).  Ian provides bending jigs on the etch.  

Construction is straightforward, making the same modifications as I do to all MJT vehicles I build.  The main points specific to this vehicle are the ends.  As they're also steel panelled, you have to lose the MJT detail and reprofile them to a different shape.  

MCG-D45-end-soldered.jpg

MCG-D45-end.jpg

It's quite easy to do and very much like the filling and shaping you do to the roof dome.  

When assembled the model has a quite airy look underneath as there's no trussing on this vehicle.

MCG-D45-side-1.jpg

MCG-D45-side-2.jpg

We gave it a test run at the weekend on what would have been their regular prewar working, the Flying Scotsman.

Grantham-D45-test-build.jpg

There is probably another test build to go through before Ian's happy with it but I'm sure he'll be happy to take expressions of interest and will let everyone know when it becomes available.

Afternoon Jonathan,

I would be certainly be interested. I'm not too sure about the  raised drop light strip that runs the full length of the body under the cornice. The surround, I think, should be flush on the double doors and there was a hooded ventilator rather than a drop light over the guards door.

I think I'm going to disagree with you for once, Andrew.  I think the raised strip is slightly narrower on the doors, but I still think it's there.  The vent hood simply hasn't been soldered on yet.

I can't link directly to the picture I've primarily used on Steve Banks' website, but the page is here and the image is the 6th one down, of the vehicle in crimson.

Edited by jwealleans

2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

I think I'm going to disagree with you for once, Andrew.  I think the raised strip is slightly narrower on the doors, but I still think it's there.  The vent hood simply hasn't been soldered on yet.

I can't link directly to the picture I've primarily used on Steve Banks' website, but the page is here and the image is the 6th one down, of the vehicle in crimson.

Jonathan,

I have a high res of the Banks photo, it shows the door toplights to be different too those on the body sides.

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Jonathan,

I have a high res of the Banks photo, it shows the door toplights to be different too those on the body sides.

Hi Andrew

If you are allowed to let me have a copy of the photo I will endevour to modify the drawing to suit.

Jonathan, lovely job so far, keep me posted on anything else which you think might need a tweak.

Ian