West End Workbench

Well, we're back in business.   Soldering complete and I'm down to gluing bits on here and there.   it might even be painted this weekend.

I had no roof ribs so I made some from 40 x 30 Evergreen.   They ought to be T section, I believe, but looking at the ones on the MJT roofs I've built, you can't see the undercut once painted so the strip will be a stronger job.

GN-banana-brake-8.jpg

GN-banana-brake-6.jpg

GN-banana-brake-7.jpg

I'm blaming droopy buffers on the extreme heat in the workshop preventing the 'poxy setting as quickly as it's supposed to.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

That looks good, hopefully won't be too long before the re-draw comes back.

There should have been the label holders on the etch, (I'm sure I put them on there)  Also I must figure out a way to produce multiple roof's.  I've looked at getting them swaged in brass but so far the cost is prohibitive unless I'm building a 1000 coaches.

Edited by chris p bacon

Label holders are there; my old iron wasn't great at sweating components on so I usually glue things like that.   Bit late to try with the new iron now, but it does make everything very hot very fast, so it might do better.

Door hinges are the other thing I haven't yet put on.   We've started haymaking now, though, so updates will almost certainly slow down for 10 days or so.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Label holders are there; my old iron wasn't great at sweating components on so I usually glue things like that.   Bit late to try with the new iron now, but it does make everything very hot very fast, so it might do better.

Door hinges are the other thing I haven't yet put on.   We've started haymaking now, though, so updates will almost certainly slow down for 10 days or so.

Well the sun is shining. 
hat coat...........gone.

richard

• 2 weeks later...

hat coat...........gone.

You didn't need to take the sun with you.   Hay is still on the ground awaiting any sort of decent weather to dry it out.

Update from last weekend - I took to the J6 and added most of what I could without making it too delicate to hack about should any problems show up in testing, although it's fine on the rolling road.   The next job will be to add pickups to the tender.

LRM-J6-part-detailed.jpg

Banana van has had primer and this very evening received its first coat of teak.

GN-banana-van-painted.jpg

I've lettered a couple more containers.  i can only do one an evening before going crosseyed, but it's progress.  They've all had the chain eyes added and you might also spot the rest of the Conflats Mr. King cast for me.   I had added the undergubbins to these two - that was my demo at Warley two years ago - and the unpainted one then developed a nasty twist.  I'm pleased to say it has undeveloped it and can now be painted and lettered along with the other one and in due course the rest.   

LNER-A-containers-lettered.jpg

D1830 van has been painted and lettered - just need the roof gunging now.

spacer.png

I took my new soldering gear to a D & S Lowmac this week.  This was one of a pair bought on Ebay some time ago for not very much.  They had been built but not painted and a couple of the castings have gone astray.  Now I don't generally criticise other people's building, we don't all work the same way and to the same level and there are some things people just can't do.  This, however, was appalling.   The components didn't fit together because the etching tabs hadn't been filed off, the solder had either been used without flux or with an iron which wasn't hot enough (or both) and then to make sure it all stayed together some sort of glue had been applied to the underside with a fire hose.  I've got one complete one so far and I'll see about replacing the missing castings for the other in due course.  

Lowmac-rebuilt.jpg

I had started with by far the worse of the two, but here's the one I haven't yet touched to give you an idea.

lowmac-badly-soldered.jpg

• Like 14

It's the D & S GE Lowmac, LNER and BR Mac K which was the basis of the Lowmac EK in later years.  It seems to have been a popular subject as I think the Airfix Lowmac is quite close to it as well.  That's one route I shall be investigating for the missing bits.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, jwealleans said:

You will tell me when you're bored with seeing this, won't you?

GN-banana-brake-teaked.jpg

This is teaked directly onto the primer, to try to achieve a newer, brighter finish.  The lining still needs tidying up and I think I've missed a horizontal.  We're still working on lettering so there's no great rush.

Good morning Jonathan,

certainly not bored. That is a gorgeous little van and probably your finest application of teak.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seems longer than a couple of weeks since I posted - busy time of year.

Most visible progress has been on the D265 carriage as it's all been fairly straightforward.    It's been painted, end details added and it's more or less ready to reassemble.  Here it's all just placed together, nothing is fixed.

D265-painted-1.jpg

D265-painted-2.jpg

It's clearly going to look the part when complete.   As someone else observed to me, it will be interesting to see how it stands up to exhibition use.  

There are a couple of inaccuracies which are both due to the material and its limitations.  The end is too thick, so the windows are all slightly narrow to maintain the overall length.  In addition, once glazed, the glazing will be recessed which is not right for a steel carriage.  For a conventional wooden Gresley coach that wouldn't be a problem.  Otherwise I've been impressed by the way it's taken paint and gone together and I wouldn't hesitate to build another.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 3 weeks later...

Too hot to spend long in the workshop so it's been short weathering sessions this week.     A batch of LMS vans to D1830 (ish), based on Mick Moore's MRJ articles.  These are the 3 variants from the 3 different manufacturers who each built a lot.

spacer.png

Also finished the ABS banana vans and a Dave Geen insulated.  These are now in the pool for the Scotch Goods on Grantham.

spacer.png

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

A bit more done on the WB this week and got the J3/4 completed at last. Next week another session with the workmen, this time replacing 30 year old fencing. So another slow week on the WB.<_<

Here it finished. 

2027700742_J36-1.jpg.53daeb54d7b3bf5ff5a4e7cd1c6e78fe.jpg

60980529_J37-1.jpg.c9435a619e943d0c09f61cce791f2c4a.jpg

• Like 10

7 hours ago, jazz said:

A bit more done on the WB this week and got the J3/4 completed at last. Next week another session with the workmen, this time replacing 30 year old fencing. So another slow week on the WB.<_<

Here it finished. 

2027700742_J36-1.jpg.53daeb54d7b3bf5ff5a4e7cd1c6e78fe.jpg

60980529_J37-1.jpg.c9435a619e943d0c09f61cce791f2c4a.jpg

G'Day Folks

Post away, I like J3's. :P

manna

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...