West End Workbench

I've been fiddling on with some more wagons when the mood has taken me.   A number of the vehicles used in the Grantham Scotch Goods have never been entirely satisfactory as they were built in my very early days back in the hobby and not detailed to what I'd now see as a minimum standard.   Apart from wooden solebars painted black and that kind of error, most were lacking in brakegear.  This is the kind of thing:

vanfit-no-brake-gear.jpg

Pretty much what Parkside supply but nothing else.  If you're careful it is possible to get in and make the holes you need to add the extra bits:

vanfit-brake-gear.jpg

This weekend I fancied something different so I fished a kit out of the box at random.  I remember buying these just before the Bachmann RTR one came out and to be honest, unless I can identify an interesting variant to make the others into i shan't be building them in a hurry.   What an awful kit.   It's shot down from 7mm and may be better in that scale but at 4mm it's just an excuse to give your Anglo-saxon a run out.  The castings are awful as well so once it's had handrails added it'll get MJT and Dave Franks bits to finish off.  What put the brass hat on it, so to speak, was realising after I'd sealed the hopper up that there was now no way to put weight in.  Doh.

brass-grano-1.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

What put the brass hat on it, so to speak, was realising after I'd sealed the hopper up that there was now no way to put weight in.  Doh.

A hole in the underside and molten lead? :unsure:

21 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

What an awful kit.   It's shot down from 7mm and may be better in that scale but at 4mm it's just an excuse to give your Anglo-saxon a run out.  The castings are awful as well so once it's had handrails added it'll get MJT and Dave Franks bits to finish off.

brass-grano-1.jpg

I've one of these; (Acorn?); part-built - I've a feeling that I won't be in a hurry to finish it!

John Isherwood.

13 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

A hole in the underside and molten lead? :unsure:

Into a soldered model? I get the impression that Mr. Wealleans isn't keen to have a second go at building it!

Lead shot, perhaps - but not fixed with PVA?

John Isherwood.

Acorn rings a bell with me, too.   There's no evidence of the maker on the instructions - maybe he thought it best to keep a low profile.

Mr. Wealleans isn't keen to have a second go at building it!

You're not wrong.   There are a few places I can conceal lead underneath, I'll see what that does for the running.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

I've been fiddling on with some more wagons when the mood has taken me.   A number of the vehicles used in the Grantham Scotch Goods have never been entirely satisfactory as they were built in my very early days back in the hobby and not detailed to what I'd now see as a minimum standard.   Apart from wooden solebars painted black and that kind of error, most were lacking in brakegear.  This is the kind of thing:

vanfit-no-brake-gear.jpg

Pretty much what Parkside supply but nothing else.  If you're careful it is possible to get in and make the holes you need to add the extra bits:

vanfit-brake-gear.jpg

This weekend I fancied something different so I fished a kit out of the box at random.  I remember buying these just before the Bachmann RTR one came out and to be honest, unless I can identify an interesting variant to make the others into i shan't be building them in a hurry.   What an awful kit.   It's shot down from 7mm and may be better in that scale but at 4mm it's just an excuse to give your Anglo-saxon a run out.  The castings are awful as well so once it's had handrails added it'll get MJT and Dave Franks bits to finish off.  What put the brass hat on it, so to speak, was realising after I'd sealed the hopper up that there was now no way to put weight in.  Doh.

brass-grano-1.jpg

A hole in the bottom and some woods metal..it doesn't need a high temperature to pour so it is less likely to desolder any joints...it is a bit lighter than lead but....no problemo. 

Nice wagon though! 

Baz

Edited by Barry O
Spellung
  • Agree 1

Built this well before the Bachmann model was announced. The incentive was a preserved one nearby with roller bearings. Certainty not an easy kit! 

Numbers etc and paint details to add.

IMG_20201004_235407334.jpg.6d45abb7b73d3552fbdf8072f8810a21.jpg

Edited by jimwal
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I posted the Grain Hopper on a Facebook wagon group I'm in and the unanimous verdict was the same.  Not many who'd tried to build one had managed to complete it and one or two threw it away in disgust.  Nonetheless if you don't look too closely it does resemble what it's supposed to be.

BR-grano-painted-small.jpg

This week and next we're isolating, so I thought a proper project was called for.   I've had this since about Easter and all the additional bits from Dart Castings came just as the first lockdown started.

d210-etches-small.jpg

This is a Masterclass Models D210 twin.  I'd seen a couple of other posters building the kit and found that Chris Higgs posts on here.  He was kind enough to make me up the etches after I messaged him.   They're clearly quite closely modelled on the MJT approach and recommend mainly MJT parts for completion.   I'd ordered those after the etches landed on the doorstep.

D210-parts-small.jpg

I'd also ordered the Isinglass drawing, which is all but indispensable, especially when dealing with a prototype you don't know well and a new manufacturer.

D210-drawing-small.jpg

I've taken my time with this; there are no instructions but it's designed to be built with a removable roof and the rest of the body and underframe as one unit.   I don't like that, so the first vehicle has been a bit of an experiment to make it split at the solebar.   I think what I've arrived at will work for the rest of it, so it's on to adding the remaining detail now.  With all the interior partitions soldered into place it makes a very sturdy assembly indeed.

D210-bt-started.jpg

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

I posted the Grain Hopper on a Facebook wagon group I'm in and the unanimous verdict was the same.  Not many who'd tried to build one had managed to complete it and one or two threw it away in disgust.  Nonetheless if you don't look too closely it does resemble what it's supposed to be.

This week and next we're isolating, so I thought a proper project was called for.   I've had this since about Easter and all the additional bits from Dart Castings came just as the first lockdown started.

d210-etches-small.jpg

This is a Masterclass Models D210 twin.  I'd seen a couple of other posters building the kit and found that Chris Higgs posts on here.  He was kind enough to make me up the etches after I messaged him.   They're clearly quite closely modelled on the MJT approach and recommend mainly MJT parts for completion.   I'd ordered those after the etches landed on the doorstep.

D210-parts-small.jpg

I'd also ordered the Isinglass drawing, which is all but indispensable, especially when dealing with a prototype you don't know well and a new manufacturer.

D210-drawing-small.jpg

I've taken my time with this; there are no instructions but it's designed to be built with a removable roof and the rest of the body and underframe as one unit.   I don't like that, so the first vehicle has been a bit of an experiment to make it split at the solebar.   I think what I've arrived at will work for the rest of it, so it's on to adding the remaining detail now.  With all the interior partitions soldered into place it makes a very sturdy assembly indeed.

D210-bt-started.jpg

Looks very tidy :)

Where did the internal partitions come from? Are they the MJT ones as they've been showing out of stock for over a year (unless they snuck back in and out again without me noticing!).

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jonathan,

I notice the pack of 2223 CCUs has a "multi-pack x2" label on it.  Does this mean you can now buy a pack for two coaches (4 CCUs) or is it simply clarifying there are two CCUs in the pack (as I think there have always been) ?

Also, how do you decide between using a 2223 CCU and a 2556 Rigid Frame?  Or do you fit one of each to a coach?

I think that means there are two packs - four CCUs  - in the pack.   They either have them ready or pack them for each order as I see a number of these each time I order.

The rigid bogies and the NEM mount which goes with it are handy for attaching Kadees to carriages which don't usually have them (if we make up a special train for photography, for example).  I ordered a couple just to build as spares for the Grantham stock.    In general I stick with the CCU as I think they give better running.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, jwealleans said:

I think that means there are two packs - four CCUs  - in the pack.   They either have them ready or pack them for each order as I see a number of these each time I order.

The rigid bogies and the NEM mount which goes with it are handy for attaching Kadees to carriages which don't usually have them (if we make up a special train for photography, for example).  I ordered a couple just to build as spares for the Grantham stock.    In general I stick with the CCU as I think they give better running.

Thanks Jonathan.  That clarifies things.

The Dart Castings website doesn't list the multi-packs for CCUs but does do for the wagon ones.  I'll have to remember to ask when I next order some in case there's a saving.

On 15/10/2020 at 12:40, jwealleans said:

Here's as far as I got with mine before quietly putting it to one side...

As John mentioned earlier the kit was done under the "Acorn Models" brand by Jim someone or another (unfortunately not McGeown of Connoisseur Kits) who I think was a member of Burton-on-Trent club who were doing a 7mm model of the same.

The artwork now resides with Trevor Cousens over at Mercian (he may even have done it in the first place) and until recently the 4mm kit was still to be had but now is only available from him in 7mm scale (Kit SW26).

One of the main issues I recall having with the kit was rolling the roof into the triple arc configuration, not helped by the etched lines inside (supposedly as an aid) becoming visible on the exterior. I also did a little bit of work to the chassis as I think it comes plated over in areas where it should be open.

I have another four to go at so may eventually get good at building them.....

Edited by SP Steve
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

Thinking about it, isn't multipacks an option when you order from them?

At checkout it gives you the option to save packaging and accept in multipacks. I can only think you are a reseller if you choose not to.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Bucoops said:

At checkout it gives you the option to save packaging and accept in multipacks. I can only think you are a reseller if you choose not to.

Many suppliers will do the same if you ask nicely. For example, when I order DG Couplings from Wizard Models, I always ask Andrew not to pack them individually, as a) it saves him time packing them; b) it saves me time unpacking them; c) he doesn't have to chop the wire into shorter lengths; and d) I don't need all those extra sets of instructions. Usual disclaimer.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Bucoops said:

I think if you’re building professionally and buying a large amount they give you a discount - I managed to get 20% off on one occasion. Otherwise the multipacks are just for saving the environment and their packing boredom.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, jwealleans said:

d210-etches-small.jpg

D210-parts-small.jpg

D210-drawing-small.jpg

D210-bt-started.jpg

Now I see why you asked the question on Coulsdon Works! I look forward to following this build and might even get mine out of the roundtuit pile and give chase! One of Gresley’s most elegant designs IMHO.

Had a good day yesterday; BT now just about complete (but not stuck together yet) and I've made a start on the CL.  Here the complete underframes are being tested through pointwork to be sure I've spaced the articulation adequately.

D210-points-testing.jpg

The BT.   There are still some details to determine - the Isinglass drawing shows external light switches on each end, but I haven't seen them on any photos.  There's a regulator box on at least the BT, maybe one on the CL as well and photos show this in different places on the underframe.  

D210-BT-built.jpg

• Like 15