West End Workbench

I'll have the cash box ready for Warley.   In the meantime, back to more serious matters...

This is how it stands on its own 4 wheels at the moment:

GNR-CCT-on-wheels.jpg

Here's the inside so you can see the two short floor sections and the shaped recesses for 8 BA nuts.   I seem to have run out which is why there are only two here.

GNR-CCT-inside.jpg

• Like 14

• 1 month later...
On 07/02/2021 at 20:11, jwealleans said:

I spent a little time this afternoon  - it's bitterly cold here as I gather it is almost everywhere - on a couple of grain vans which I've been going to refurbish for Grantham use for a long time.  One is a Parkside kit, possibly the very first one I built - it was certainly one of these, bought from the much missed R & D Models in Cambridge - while the other has a more interesting provenance.

GK-PD-grain-vans-refurb.jpg

Some time ago I bought a scratchbuilt grain van to the original pattern off Ebay.   It looked nicely done and wasn't expensive (this was long before lockdown).  Despite having scratchbuilt two previously i didn't have one for myself - one lives in the Ely Club shunting stock and one was a commission.  When it arrived, it was indeed pretty well made but also had a brass underframe which just pulled out.   Left with a plastic body like that, my thoughts turned at once to resin casting and my good friend and colleague Mr. King duly obliged.

I must have had this getting on two years and am only now doing anything with it.   It's acquired a 60 thou plastikard floor, MJT W-irons and a plastic hopper up to now.   I've then secured the floor, having put some weight inside and made solebar to body brackets.   It's had a waft of grey primer so you can see it in the photograph which also shows that it's a midge's higher than the PD one, but within what I'd call the 'tired springs' range.   I can always put Gibson or Wizard wheels into it to lower it slightly once finished.  Brakes are still to do - making them a sturdy structure may be a challenge - and buffers, which will probably be a Dave Franks GWR pattern.  For those who don't know, the LNER borrowed drawings from the GW and copied them for these vans.  I have made a GWR one and they are almost identical.  

I'm not sure whether or not these are currently available within the extensive King's of Grimsby range.

The Parkside one will have a repaint, new buffers and a general tidy up.   I've also opened up the inspection windows in the ends, which were only plated over after 1948.

Also pretty much complete and hopefully a less controversial shade of brown, after having brakes added this week, this Peter K GNS horsebox we saw not too long ago.   This has been fiddly and a bit of a nuisance.  I haven't been able to add all the foot steps either as the way the thing is designed would have put them out of gauge.   The strapping was all added with Evergreen strip and seems to have all but vanished in the photo.  Hopefully weathering will bring it out again, it was a long job and does appear more distinctly to the naked eye.

Peter-K-GNSR-HB-finished.jpg

Could I ask where you get the lettering under the number from as I have a number of horse boxes to do?

regards

Paul

Edited by rustynuts
typo

• 1 month later...

Well, I do apologise, I didn't see your question and I haven't been near the thread for a while.

I commissioned them from John Peck at Precision Decals - they come on a sheet with 'Not to Run in the Southern Scottish Area' and possibly some CCT lettering.  The data panel is actually for a GN horsebox but there's no chance of anyone being able to read it.  I don't know whether John lists it in his range, but if you mention my name and that it was for horseboxes, I'm sure he'll be able to find it.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jwealleans said:

A pair of Southern cattle vans, both came to me part finished.  The piped one is ex-SECR with a particular kind of experimental braking system which clearly didn't catch on.

spacer.png

The brake gear is Hills Either Side. Not exactly experimental as it was used fairly extensively by the SECR in a number of iterations, for about ten years, from around the turn of the century.  It turned up on all sorts of wagons, including opens and vans, and the recent Rails' SECR van has this gear fitted.

• Thanks 1

Thank you, Nick.     You're quite right, Danny describes it as 'patent brake'.

Why did the SECR persist with it when (as far as I know) no other railways did much (or anything) with it.  Was he a friend of one of the directors?

Or was it very widespread and I've somehow missed ever hearing of it?

• RMweb Premium

Jonathan, I watched the video and it looks like a nice layout. Have you acquired the buildings and signals as well and do you intend to exhibit it?

The three way point entering the fiddle yard straight off the curve looks a bit hairy. That will make a good stock test!

Regards

Andy

Morning Andy,

The cassettes were my only problem with it from an operating point of view and so once it had a full yard and through running it really transformed it.   As you can see, I can only operate the yard from one end without the left hand board which had the other end of the run round, so it's a bit more limited as it is now.

I do have the buildings and signals from the 1950s version, I didn't take the modern image buildings and colour lights, so in theory once the replacement yard is built then it could be exhibited and i certainly haven't done anything to prevent that as a future option. 

Up to now I haven't had a problem with the 3 way point (it's not a high speed layout with my dodgy track joints), but the others have upset the odd loco.  They're reclaimed Code 100 from the 1970s so I'm going to try Mr. King's trick of closing up some of the check rail gaps with 10 thou plastic strip.   Whisper it, but it's primarily one of Sir's locos which has the problem, although he'd at once point out that it's a rewheeled Bachmann chassis, not his own.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 5
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Thank you, Nick.     You're quite right, Danny describes it as 'patent brake'.

Why did the SECR persist with it when (as far as I know) no other railways did much (or anything) with it.  Was he a friend of one of the directors?

Or was it very widespread and I've somehow missed ever hearing of it?

As per the @Compound2632 reference, the brand name "Invicta" certainly suggests a Kentish connection. Within the HMRS collection there are three patents, for couplings and sheet rails, under the name E J Hills listed under SE&CR.

Edited by Nick Holliday
HMRS patents added

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Nick Holliday said:

As per the @Compound2632 reference, the brand name "Invicta" certainly suggests a Kentish connection. Within the HMRS collection there are three patents, for couplings and sheet rails, under the name E J Hills listed under SE&CR.

So presumably Hill was an Ashford employee and the SECR didn't have to pay royalties.

• 1 month later...

Bit of testing tonight, so you get to see the layout again.   J6 3554 with a short parcels/sundries working.

J6-3554-parcels-working.jpg

There's a bit of a backstory to this.   I set off to do this running on Wednesday evening, but it was one of those nights where everything I touched fell apart, so this is the first time it's all been in a state to try to run again.

Nucast-J6-3554-unweathered.jpg

I've been adding the final details to the loco, sand pipes, brake gear and the like.   It's run round there a few times before, but on Wednesday it suddenly locked solid.  On examination it had unscrewed a crankpin and gone out of quarter.   All replaced and the rod straightened and it behaved this evening.  

GNSR-horsebox-complete.jpg

The GNSR horsebox.   This was the other main miscreant on Wednesday - although it ran fairly freely, with the lights off it was a one man Guy Fawkes display.  I did have my suspicions, but I did also think I'd tested it before.   Anyway it's had some brutal surgery underneath and now runs nicely and with no pyrotechnics.   Oddly the 3 suspension units are all the same, but only two have needed hacking to this extent.   I can't even blame Hornby wheels, they're the fairly finescale ones from Wizard.   

DS-GN-CCT-D360-finished.jpg

DS-GN-CCT-D358-finished.jpg

DS-GN-CCT-D364-finished.jpg

The 3 GN CCTs.  This is really to show how well Joshua's plastic one blends with the two from Danny.   It's repaid the work put into it, I think and I do like the small variations between them.  For those who can't tell, the plastic one is the middle one of the three and before anyone mentions it yes it does have the same number as the one next to it.   It's the D & S one which I've managed to get wrong.  One number either side would have been fine.   I'll do that this week.

DS-GN-OCT-D375-finished.jpg

D375 OCT with a Riley Monaco load.   I don't believe I've ever seen a Riley Monaco, but I did like the colour scheme.

DS-NE-D67-HB-finished.jpg

NER horsebox.   The one with the sensible roof.

Finally a query.  I started a D & S NER D18 BT(3) today.   Instead of the usual bogies I found these compensated items:

DS-compensated-bogie-1.jpg

DS-compensated-bogie-2.jpg

Has anyone used these before and do they have any hints about assembling/adjusting them?   So far I think they're an awful idea - although they do what they're supposed to, they create no end of drag on the axles, despite filing the beams nicely flat and then to an edge.  They also completely conceal the fixing/pivot (which is a rivet, for some reason), so they have to be attached before final assembly and then stay on the floor through the rest of the build.   They are now impossible to remove non-destructively which also makes getting the body screws in and out a work of contortion.  I may end up pushing the bearings to the bottom of their travel and soldering them solid, but I will give them a test first.

I think this is a very old kit, from the state of the brass, so this may be an idea Danny tried then dropped.   Any information welcome.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

9 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Has anyone used these before and do they have any hints about assembling/adjusting them?   So far I think they're an awful idea - although they do what they're supposed to, they create no end of drag on the axles, despite filing the beams nicely flat and then to an edge.  They also completely conceal the fixing/pivot (which is a rivet, for some reason), so they have to be attached before final assembly and then stay on the floor through the rest of the build.   They are now impossible to remove non-destructively which also makes getting the body screws in and out a work of contortion.  I may end up pushing the bearings to the bottom of their travel and soldering them solid, but I will give them a test first.

Would it improve matters if you fitted a length of thin 2mm internal diameter tubing on the axles? You would have to adjust the height, but it might (?) reduce the friction, especially if you could use PTFE, and it would ease lubrication.

I was going to mention axle tubes and magic fluid, but I see that suggestion won't really help.

I have no idea of how they are put together, but those offset holes in the "kidney" apertures suggest some sort of implied invitation to make your own detachable screw-mounting system.

Jonathan

As others have said, the design is like the Scalefour Society's compensation units at the time.  Unfortunately, they did introduce a load of drag which was fine for a coach or two, but for a whole train, it just didn't work.

It is in part why I developed some sprung Fox bogies https://miscellanymodels.com/future-plans-and-dreams/fully-sprung-fox-bogies/.   These are a lot more effort than those you have, but they do glide when in use so they make the coach look realistically heavy.  This shows it under construction https://highlandmiscellany.com/2018/04/01/dia-51-test-build-fox-heavyweight-bogies/

The D&S kits normally come with a fixed bogie.  I now routinely throw this away to fit my own design.  If you can wait a week or so (I am on hols at the moment) I can easily post a set to you as I do have a NER coach to do soon.   PM me if this is of interest.

Alternatively, you will need to acquire either the Bill Bedford sprung bogies or those produced by Brassmasters.  They are only the functional innards of the bogie, so you will have to sweat the D&S frames on to get a sensible Fox Bogie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Portchullin Tatty said:

The D&S kits normally come with a fixed bogie.  I now routinely throw this away to fit my own design.  If you can wait a week or so (I am on hols at the moment) I can easily post a set to you as I do have a NER coach to do soon.   PM me if this is of interest.

Alternatively, you will need to acquire either the Bill Bedford sprung bogies or those produced by Brassmasters.  They are only the functional innards of the bogie, so you will have to sweat the D&S frames on to get a sensible Fox Bogie.

Mark's bogies are the only ones I use for Fox, Jonathan. All versions of D&S bogies go straight in the bin. There are one or two places where I've had to go off-piste on Mark's instructions (I can provide pointers if you wish), and you'll need to keep the D&S spring/axlebox and bolster castings. Here they are with my own resin springs: 

20210630_093420.jpg.7c8d6f0cd6f00d986466d08280334f6a.jpg

I wouldn't recommend using any system that consists in putting a thick W/M frame on to an etched innards as the bogies will end up too wide, which will play havoc with your footboard supports, if you're fitting any. I found that out the hard way....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2