West End Workbench

Terry and I both found an ebay seller doing Hornby wheels fairly cheaply (from Malta), but I can't see them at the moment.

The way those wheels keep going up in price, it's getting to be worth buying wagons in rummage bins and junking everything but the wheels.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Plodding on with the 6 wheelers as time and weather allow. I've done the other Composite and Lav First since the last update.

d84_d153_1.jpg

All the laser cut bodies are now rolling shells, so there are just the two Mike Trice luggage brakes to put together and we have the full 7 vehicles.

1938_train_1.jpg

In between, just to keep myself interested, some GN wagons all from Bill's Bedford's excellent resin kits. Two 7 plank coal wagons and a Colwick open.

BB_GN_wagons.jpg

I'm not completely happy with the 3 D printed brake levers - I think brass replacements may be in order. The white metal axleboxes and springs are where the original cast ones had broken off in the packaging.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Rear of the same train. 

I'm not that fond of 50s grunge but I do appreciate the way no two coaches are the same colour!

I'm not completely happy with the 3 D printed brake levers - I think brass replacements may be in order. The white metal axleboxes and springs are where the original cast ones had broken off in the packaging.

Agree- the material is a bit too brittle; I've lost some break lever handles. 

Busy day today and it feels like progress. The last of the 6 wheeler bodies has been assembled and it's all starting to take shape.

Mike_Trice_D303_1.jpg

As most of you will know, Mike Trice has released a kit for the D 303 full brake via Shapeways. These were always going to to together more quickly than the multisourced carriages and so it proved. A wash in IPA, a coat of filler primer, a rub down and a second coat and this is where you get to. I've made the paxolin floors for these but they may now have to wait for the revised solebars Mike has drawn up.

Just to encourage myself, here is the whole set of 7 posed with a Kitmaster Stirling Single.

1938_train_3.jpg

1938_train_2.jpg

In addition, while the glue set, I've been fiddling on with some wagons as you might expect. GN opens now started painting. The brake levers don't look to bad once in primer, so I'm going to leave them and see how I like them when painted.

BB_GN_wagons_2.jpg

I bought this D & S GE General van last year at Middlesbrough Show. The louvres had all been removed and I've ended up using some diesel grilles to replace them, so don't look too closely. This will go into the Wickham Market pool (we have one on Grantham already.

DS_d87_1.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Not until I dropped the underframe just before taking the picture.  It does now.

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Not just me that does things like that, then!

• 5 weeks later...

Been a bit of a break both from modelling and the 6 wheelers, but with the loco allegedly in transit it's time to clear some space on the bench again.

We're off to Little Bytham and 1938 before too long, so like Mr. King I have also been attending to some goods stock. I had a thought some time ago about the long rakes of wagons you see in some photos, especially aerial ones, all with the same load. I found some bits - not sure what they are but they came from the cylinder head of a Mitsubishi forklift - which would comfortably fit in and weight down a 5 plank open, so I've been churning those out and adding the same load, with a sheet draped over it, to each one. I've actually built very few of these, most have been show buys.

GC_open_CL_open.jpg

Saying that I did build the first wagon, which is the new GC open from 51L. I liked it so much I've bought another. The one next to it is a 3H.

GN_open_LNE_6pl.jpg

The GN 4 plank is by Mousa, one of Bill's resin casts and the LNER open another 3H.

GC_5pl_LNW_open.jpg

GC 5 plank by Colin Ashby and the ex-LNWR open from Ratio.

GN_3pl_LY_longlow.jpg

GN Colwick open by D & S and the L & Y Long Low is MAJ.

Midland_open_GW_5pl.jpg

Midland open is Slaters and the GW 5 plank from Coopercraft.

LMS_D1666.jpg

LMS D1666 open from Cambrian. The part visible bogie bolster is Nu-Cro - you'll get to see that when I've added the pins and shackles.

Finally proof that I have been attending to the 6 wheelers - I took delivery of some of Mike's combined solebar and footboard units last week and here are the first pair fitted to the leading luggage brake.

MT_D303_plb.jpg

• Like 18

Despite the heat I've been struggling manfully on with the things I want to finish before the end of the month.

Pair of GN 7 plank minerals, now loaded.

GN_coal_wagons_small.jpg

Couple of foreigners: Ratio GW Macaw. I'm told this is a bit of a fiction, but I've ended up with four built ones and it just goes against the grain to chuck them.

Ratio_Macaw_1.jpg

On a GW Mite (I think) a Fordson N tractor. Shameless steal of an idea from Adam's thread (and yes, I know I've missed the wing brackets off, but it was painted before I found them and realised). Bit of a challenging thing to put together, but worth the effort. I may even do some more.

Fordon_small_1.jpg

Fordon_small_2.jpg

I see that one of the rear tyres has pulled sideways - the epoxy must have been soft when I roped it down. Predictably it's now as solid as can be, so I'll probably end up painting the hub black to conceal it.

I put most of the details onto the Mike Trice BG - it's about ready for the next stage of painting.

ECJS_BG_102.jpg

That's allowed me to move on to the next vehicle, D 155 Composite No. 127. I would have detailed the solebar this evening, but when I was fitting the axlebox/spring units I found that the step had parted from the solebar at one end so it had to be reattached. Hence the big blob of solder you can see.

D155_compo_127.jpg

• Like 14

Ratio GW Macaw. I'm told this is a bit of a fiction, but I've ended up with four built ones and it just goes against the grain to chuck them.

Ratio_Macaw_1.jpg

I thought that the Ratio MACAW is a ex-TVR design - though the bogies may well be the wrong ones.

Does any GWR guru have the definitive answer?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

This is what the GWR modelling site read: Prototype was ex-TVR. No GWR diagram allocated. Kit body is approx 3mm too wide.

I implied 'no diagram allocated' to indicate that they didn't last long in service. I failed to find a prototype picture which strengthened my implication. But it is mainly guesswork, I'm nowhere near knowledgeable about GW wagons.

Edited by jwealleans

• 3 weeks later...

I took delivery of some wagons at the weekend. All very nicely built and some excellent scratchbuilt examples.

Does anyone know what this is? I don't have LMS wagons Volume 2 and so am at a bit of a loss.

LMS_wagon_1.jpg

LMS_wagon_2.jpg

Given the standard of the others I'd be inclined to believe it's accurate, but what are the pockets for?

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 5