West End Workbench

Today's main focus of attention.  These have come quite a way since they left Margate, one for Fine Fish and the other Weetabix.  They've also been kicking around part completed for far too long, so hurrah for motivation and Wizard Models excellent service.

Hornby-HBR-vans.jpg

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Unless Red Leader's extending the loops on the scenic side without telling us, I can't see much scope for lengthening the train.   However, keen viewers may detect increased rotation of stock within the current 25 + BV limit.

Of course, a keen North End operator could add further wagons in time for the train's second, non-stop, appearance and then remove them before we tick back around to Move 1......

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

The last time I operated North End, I had my feet metaphorically and literally up on the table and was watching rugby with Mrs. King.   I know a slacker's gig when I come across one.

was that cos the station was out of action???  Or someone else had done all of teh set remarshalling..or we had gone on strike???

Baz

• RMweb Premium

well not quite 12 as you get some sets in which then get altered using stock from other trains..And, of course you have to grab a particular coach from South Fiddle Yard to ad to a train..

Baz

• Informative/Useful 1

On 29 April 2020 at 12:41, Barry O said:

well not quite 12 as you get some sets in which then get altered using stock from other trains..And, of course you have to grab a particular coach from South Fiddle Yard to ad to a train..

Baz

It would be a lot easier to leave them on display in the siding near the South Box and not disturb the smooth 'running' in North fiddle yard.

Tom

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Jonathan

May I pose a question to you please?

I have been looking for some suitable lamp irons to fit to a couple of SR brake vans that have none.

I have the Mainly Trains MT187 etch but that doesn't seem to offer anything that really resemples either the side mounted irons, nor the centre back mounted one.

Is there anything more suitable available or does one simply have to make something from brass strip or staples?

Any help appreciated!

Tony

• RMweb Premium

If it's the same MT etch I had some years ago, for locos, it looks like it was designed for 5mm scale and is best binned!

Brassmasters do some off their Finney locos, and Silver Tay models (only an ebay shop, it seems) have some too. Both are recommended. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Daddyman said:

If it's the same MT etch I had some years ago, for locos, it looks like it was designed for 5mm scale and is best binned!

I'd have said that it would be overscale for 7mm. !

The Silver Tay etchings are good - I bought several.

John Isherwood.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Daddyman said:

Brassmasters do some off their Finney locos, and Silver Tay models (only an ebay shop, it seems) have some too. Both are recommended. 

3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I'd have said that it would be overscale for 7mm. !

The Silver Tay etchings are good - I bought several.

John Isherwood.

Thanks both - a very helpful recommendation.

I wasn't aware of Silver Tay models but they certainly have a good range.

Unfortunately, lamp itons are out of stock!

But I am a patient chap.

Tony

Evening Tony,

You seem to have been helped without my having to do anything, which is all to the good.   My advice would have been no more useful than staples or bent wire if you needed the lamp irons to be functional.  I hadn't come across Silver Tay models either.

Now, let me tell you all a little story.  Are we all sitting comfortably?  Regular readers may recall this picture which appeared on this thread on the 5th.  

Nucast-J6-primer.jpg

I had a communication from a concerned reader in Grimsburg who thought that although this is supposed to be a J6 of the 536 batch, the boiler position was too far forward and closer to that for a 521.  Now I confess that this having been built once, I simply rebuilt the same components in the same places, given that it had all been made to fit like that and it looked like a J6 to me.  However, once you have an idea planted in your head....  I thought the NuCast kit would only make a 536, the cab is clearly for one of those, none of the descriptions of building the kit have ever mentioned shortening the boiler or smokebox to my recollection... but I kept looking at that front overhang above the valves and it kept nagging at me.   Then said concerned reader kindly sent me a drawing (I only had one for the 521) which showed that the whole thing stuck forward too far.  I reckon it's a combination of cab a little too far forward on the running plate, smokebox not as far onto the boiler as it should be (that unit did not come apart when the rest of the loco did) and boiler/firebox maybe a touch too long.  Anyway, what to do?

The obvious thing would have been to take it off the front of the smokebox, but that would have meant relocating the chimney and snifter and also making a piece of new cladding to extend the smokebox backwards as it would then have been too short.  That sounded like a lot of work and probably not something I was likely to make undetectable.  There was really only one thing for it:

IMG-2761-small.jpg

Remarkably, after a night in paint stripper then a sudden immersion in boiling water, very little fell off.   A twist with a large screwdriver popped boiler and smokebox away and the rest was left to cool so as not to disturb it too much.  I then took a big bastard file (not a technical term) to the back of the firebox.

This was the result:

IMG-2762-small.jpg

Much less overhang and the firebox front better positioned in relation to the centre splasher.  Once the rest of the bits had been recovered from the bowl and reinstated and the whole thing washed, dried and primed again, I stuck up a new picture for appraisal by the discerning and knowledgeable cognoscenti of the LNER forum....

Nu-Cast-J6-reworked.jpg

... and no-one could tell the difference.  Well, I know.  Hopefully when I've finished the LRM one the differences will be much more apparent.

Speaking of which, I spent much of the day today working on that.

LRM-J6-body.jpg

Frankly, I made a bit of a hash of it.   I started by fettling the rods, after all that malarkey about whether they matched the frames.   Well, they took almost no work to run smoothly, so if there ever was a difference then there isn't now.   That bit was fine.  Then I set off into the body construction.  Cab... fine, use fuse wire for the beading so it's rounded (tip from TW), make sure it's square on the footplate... check....add the splashers... check...middle one might be a bit short but we have fixing plates to add which will hide it.  Then on to the boiler.  I used some wire to hold it in shape as Tony Wright's build mentioned that the overlays didn't quite match the diameter of the boiler and he ended up with a gap.   What you then do is add a series of overlays which built out the smokebox to the right thickness and also make up the steps in the cladding where boiler and smokebox meet.   One of those shifted as or after I put the next layer on and by the time I spotted it it was all too firmly made up to take apart, so the visible step in the cladding tapers away to nothing part way round the boiler.  I may be able to fabricate something, I'll give it a couple of days and have a look again.   I was also pleased to have followed Tony's advice and made the saddle part of the footplate assembly rather than the boiler as when I offered it up the boiler rose almost 1mm towards the front.  I was able to file a slot on the underside for the front of the saddle to slip into and so it will end up level.   At the moment it's just sitting on there as I think it'll be easier to do anything about the cladding with it separate.  

It's looking pleasingly like a J6 up to now, though and the larger cab and cutouts are quite visibly different to the later series example behind it.  

One project which is now finished is the Bachmann ROD for Ormesby Hall:

Bachmann-ROD.jpg

It was only waiting for crew and fire irons and me to get my finger out.  It can go back in the box now in the hope we may be able to run it this season.  Plates for these are available from 247 Developments.

Also on the bench today, after the kits were mentioned on Sir's thread, an Acro GW Crocodile H.  This has now acquired a load courtesy of Duha.

spacer.png

The chains need toning down and tensioning and then it'll be done.   Hopefully this week.

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

and there's me getting a chewing for not getting a ex LMS 4F incorrect (it needs to be left hand drive not right hand) Luckily it should be a lot easier than the two J6 whatsits you are building...

Baz

Edited by Barry O

I don’t know how different the Nucast kit is from the SEF one but in the latter they provide parts to make the 521 series engines. The kit is primarily designed for the 536 series, though.

I must have spent a good few minutes looking at the photos on the LNER forum but the only difference I could see was the front vac pipe looked a bit wonky in one. Now that I look at it the second picture does look much more like a J6.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bear in mind that I bought this built, so any spare parts were long gone.  I did have a copy of the NuCast instructions but if there were any alternative parts I didn't take much notice, I was mainly concerned with making sure I had everything for the loco as was, knowing I'd do the other kit as a 521.  I was surprised that front vac pipe survived, it was the first thing I thought would fall off.  I expect it will, probably somewhere near the Ruston factory in front of crowds 6 deep whenever we next get to take Grantham anywhere.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 hours ago, jwealleans said:

I expect it will, probably somewhere near the Ruston factory in front of crowds 6 deep whenever we next get to take Grantham anywhere.

The yard near Rushton factory is full of your 50 wagons, but you could put it with your van in the siding at the front near South Box. It would be much nearer the admiring crowds and out of our way!

Tom