West End Workbench

On 18 May 2020 at 15:45, jwealleans said:

Fifty?   You need more fingers, Tom.

I think RL will need to add some more sidings if south Box is expected to assemble and break up trains and accommodate more than 50 of your star wagons.

Tom

I think there are 108 wagons in total (I do have a spreadsheet) but that includes the fixed trains.   I don't honestly know how many are used for shunting except that it's been the same number for a couple of years at least.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jonathon,

Hope all is well. I'd sent you a couple of PM's regarding the Dia. 265 Coach sides I was doing for you, but it was around the time that RMWeb was being upgraded and I think they were lost in the ether!

I promptly forgot about them and have just found them during a tidy up, so if you would still like them, just drop me a PM with a suitable address and I'll stick them in the post.

Take care!

Gaz.

Hello Jonathan,

I hope you are well?

Just a very quick question for you regarding a D&S Pigeon Van I am building.

Dan recommends forming the tumblehome on the main side, then forming the inlay to fit... I was thinking of soldering the inlay to the main side, then forming the tumblehome...

What do you do? I'm loathed to stray from the instructions too much, the kit fits very well and I am sure Dan knows what he's talking about?!

2 minutes ago, grob1234 said:

Hello Jonathan,

I hope you are well?

Just a very quick question for you regarding a D&S Pigeon Van I am building.

Dan recommends forming the tumblehome on the main side, then forming the inlay to fit... I was thinking of soldering the inlay to the main side, then forming the tumblehome...

What do you do? I'm loathed to stray from the instructions too much, the kit fits very well and I am sure Dan knows what he's talking about?!

For what it's worth, I'd expect the soldered lamination to be much harder to form.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

For what it's worth, I'd expect the soldered lamination to be much harder to form.

John Isherwood.

Agreed. In all honesty I'm leaning back towards following the instructions. There would be 1.5 times etch and 0.5 times etch and they'd prbably bend differently.

Hi Tom,

Pleased to see you posting again.   I do put the two parts together then bend them - I have a bending tool like the one Sir uses and it's not a huge bend to form when you look at it.   Doing it the conventional way brings two problems;  it's not easy to manage the same degree of bend on both parts and it's very easy to overbend or distort the half-etched piece.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thank you Jonathan.

I'm slowly getting back into it after finally settling, having a permanent place to make models and also having a little more time than usual.

I have a bending tool that was made for the original Coronation, which supports the piece very well.

I'll give it a try, as you say the etch is pretty thin and its a small bend... what could go wrong. I'll let you know the final result - no pressure ;)

• Like 1

Hi Jonathan,

Just to prove it all worked ok:

IMG_6021.JPG.0a6d459b32edad90f685b2b8b633ef02.JPG

Hardest bit was actually the bend at the top by the toplights, even though I scored through til there was a witness mark on the front. Must get a decent set of bending bars!

Thanks for the help :)

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Nicely neat and tidy, Tom.  Those bends above toplights can be a .  i keep thinking about one of those Hold and Fold affairs, but I don't know anyone who has one to see it close up.

They're good, Jonathan. I wouldn't be without one. Would close-up photos help, or is it that you need to play around with one?  

Having  said that, they're not much use in the D&S situation, as the bit that needs to be supported by the tool - the body side, with its hinge holes or top lights - cannot be as the too would flatten the turn-under (which should already have been formed).

I tend not to try to bend these longitudinal strips on D&S or Connoisseur carriages, but cut them off instead and then solder them to the sides at the required angle - a lot less stressful when you're paying £60-100 for a 4-wheeler on ebay...  

Edited by Daddyman

Ooh, I've been censored.   On my own thread.   How very straightlaced of this software.  

I'd like a fiddle with one, to be honest, to decide whether it's better than my steel rule, bending bars and big steel set square arrangement.

Flat body sides wouldn't be an issue as they'll go into my turnunder forming tool with that return already bent and that would probably help the rigidity of the sides to achieve an even bend anyway.

Edited by jwealleans
Spelling.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Nicely neat and tidy, Tom.  Those bends above toplights can be a .  i keep thinking about one of those Hold and Fold affairs, but I don't know anyone who has one to see it close up.

yes you do now.. had one for years.. great items and easy to use . I bought the 8" one...

Baz

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

Ooh, I've been censored.   On my own thread.   How very straightlaced of this software.  

3 minutes ago, Barry O said:

I bought the 8" one...

Some people are favoured....:D

• Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another vote here for the Hold & Fold! You're right that top edges - especially along the tops of windows - are still problematic, but it works a treat generally and is incredibly quick and easy for all those little items, W-irons and so forth :good_mini:

• RMweb Premium
On 12/06/2020 at 17:24, jwealleans said:

I use Humbrol 62 (on Mike Trice's recommendation).

Have you ever tried Phoenix Precision's P60 LNER Coach Teak, Jonathan? I just googled the Humbrol 62 which looks like it has more of a red tinge than the PP one. I know there's much debate on this question, so few contemporary colour photos and such a lot of variation in the ageing of their colour stock and of surviving original prototype coaches (not to mention modern restorations of those coaches).

It's a fascinating subject though; there was a little series of two or three articles in the 3mm Society Journal a while back called something like 'Interpreting colour in original photographs' that I have in a file somewhere, which tried a semi-scientific approach. The author (who's name I'm afraid I can't remember right now) took an original photo and isolated known colours such as the sky, or grass, or a well known brand logo of a particular colour. He then looked at how that known colour had been affected by the photographic process - perhaps a red that was clearly excessively vivid, or green grass that looked unnaturally bleached - and worked back from that, to try and understand how the BR maroon or LNER green might have been similarly distorted. It certainly encouraged me to look much more closely and carefully at early colour images.

There's also the very interesting series of restored photos of teak colours on Steve Banks's site...

• Informative/Useful 2

P60 is a very dark colour which I use for the graining on a teak finish.  62 is used for the painted teak bits like steel solebars, wheel centres, duckets and so on.  Rightly or wrongly, what made my mind up was the fact that when i used it and looked at the finished vehicles, it looked just like the colour the LNERCA use up at Grosmont.  It's all over all the teak vehicles I've built on this thread, you can decide for yourself whether it works.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

No debate - it certainly works and I didn't mean to question your judgement. The 'recipe' for teaking coaches that you showed in a detailed photo sequence on your thread a few years back has formed the basis for my own teak efforts :)

Edited by Chas Levin