West End Workbench

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Claret is the natural colour of railway carriages, to which they inevitably revert if left to their own devices. Vide the Great Western, 1912-1922. Why resist the inevitable?

Because some of us like naked coaches.

Er.

Natural wood colour.

Bye.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jwealleans said:

What do you think we are here, the Midland?

err.. British Railways or in the case of fully lined maroon (lake) could be the best constituent company  in the LNER.. the North Eastern Railway, as in

2018525388_DSNERobservationsaloon.JPG.2fda624548ae2534f7b90cfefc5afd54.JPG

Baz

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Barry O said:

err.. British Railways or in the case of fully lined maroon (lake) could be the best constituent company  in the LNER.. the North Eastern Railway, as in

2018525388_DSNERobservationsaloon.JPG.2fda624548ae2534f7b90cfefc5afd54.JPG

Baz

Thank you. I need one of those (although on my railway it might have to be in (ersatz) teak. 

Please what is the model's provenance?

And - if it is D&S, does anybody know if it might still be available?

Despite the above comment, I do like the NER liveries of Saxony Green and Lake, and have one special train in exactly that, although it needs some improvements before I photograph it!.

I am minded however that many trains on the ECML were ECJS and NE/GN JS, and were thus in varnished timber finish.

PS - and of course the NER was the most important constituent of the LNER. It was supposed to be the most profitable part as well. Shame that didn't work out!

Never mind. I'm quite happy to regard the GN main line post-1923 as the NER London Branch!

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 1

On 23/06/2020 at 07:52, jazz said:

Yes, the older model Antex products were very good.  In very short order I had to replace three Antex irons with failed heating elements and failed power leads. Plus the tips did not last very long at all.

Sorry, I know this is an old comment, but I have to agree with this and other similar. I had an Antex soldering iron which was used for just about everything from models to computers to heavy duty wiring on commercial vehicles. It lasted for nearly 20 years. I bought a new one- 2 in fact, one of which was an expensive temperature controlled unit- and both failed.

On 23/06/2020 at 13:20, Daddyman said:

Someone should send this thread to Antex! 

I wouldn't bother. After my experience above, I contacted Antex to see if these could be fixed. I never received a reply- neither to my email nor my 'phone call.

I thought it was just me so I didn't pursue it. Based on the clear divide between those who have had them for '20 years' or so and like them Vs those with more recent ones, I would say production has indeed shipped to China.

EDIT: A follow up conversation has yielded a completely different response. Quite impressed actually.

Edited by Derekstuart

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, drmditch said:

Thank you. I need one of those (although on my railway it might have to be in (ersatz) teak. 

Despite the above comment, I do like the NER liveries of Saxony Green and Lake, and have one special train in exactly that, although it needs some improvements before I photograph it!.

I am minded however that many trains on the ECML were ECJS and NE/GN JS, and were thus in varnished timber finish.

PS - and of course the NER was the most important constituent of the LNER. It was supposed to be the most profitable part as well. Shame that didn't work out!

Never mind. I'm quite happy to regard the GN main line post-1923 as the NER London Branch!

Yes it was a D&S one...not sure if Dan has done any more..

Baz

Edited by Barry O

1 hour ago, drmditch said:

post-7186-128018294296_thumb.jpg

post-7186-128359738786_thumb.jpg

A rare animal , never seen one come up on ebay or any recent D&S lists so far.

Edited by micklner
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Had another good day today.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I haven't seen the inspection saloon on any of Dan's lists (or, as Mick says, on Ebay very often).

Derek, this soldering station is one of the best things I've ever bought - it's made it so much quicker and easier and I'm using less solder to boot as the bits are smaller.

Edit - had less of a good day when I've gone to order buffers for them - OOS almost across the board.   No-one seem to have any Dullcote either.   Things are clearly going downhill rapidly.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Derekstuart said:

Sorry, I know this is an old comment, but I have to agree with this and other similar. I had an Antex soldering iron which was used for just about everything from models to computers to heavy duty wiring on commercial vehicles. It lasted for nearly 20 years. I bought a new one- 2 in fact, one of which was an expensive temperature controlled unit- and both failed.

I wouldn't bother. After my experience above, I contacted Antex to see if these could be fixed. I never received a reply- neither to my email nor my 'phone call.

I thought it was just me so I didn't pursue it. Based on the clear divide between those who have had them for '20 years' or so and like them Vs those with more recent ones, I would say production has indeed shipped to China.

They replaced my power cable free a while back (about 1 year - hard to tell anything pre-covid!). The customer service was fine, however the replacement cable has also now failed :( - not completely but with my new RSU I rarely use the iron now anyway.

Edited by Bucoops
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, jwealleans said:

spacer.png

I haven't seen the inspection saloon on any of Dan's lists (or, as Mick says, on Ebay very often).

Edit - had less of a good day when I've gone to order buffers for them - OOS almost across the board.   No-one seem to have any Dullcote either.   Things are clearly going downhill rapidly.

Nice work! 

The Great Steel Buffer Head Shortage started more or less at the very beginning of lockdown... 

Do you know the situation with Dan, Jonathan? No change? - still a full-time carer? I haven't wanted to disturb him by asking, but perhaps you've been in touch? 

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Morning,

I haven't been in touch directly but I gather there's not been any change.  There's still talk of more 4mm products but no indication of when that might be.

Thanks, Jonathan. 

13 hours ago, jwealleans said:

spacer.png

Which buffers are you looking for as we have Romford turned brass coach ones in stock both oval & round

Edited by mozzer models
  • Like 1

Morning Brian,

Hope you and the family are well.  It was the MJT post-1930 Gresley non-corridor pattern I was after.  Dart are the only supplier I know of and they show OOS.  I might drop them an email and see what's not available: if it's the heads they can't get hold of and I can have the stocks then I can at least paint the underframe and add the rest later.   The Romford ones are a bit generic, if they're the ones I'm thinking of.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bucoops said:

They replaced my power cable free a while back (about 1 year - hard to tell anything pre-covid!). The customer service was fine, however the replacement cable has also now failed :( - not completely but with my new RSU I rarely use the iron now anyway.

I emailed them yesterday and just had a reply back from their MD, discussing a few of my concerns. He said there was an 'issue' with one of the irons (TCS) but that has been resolved for the replacement model. The important bit is that someone replied.

I am going to order their 690D soldering station.

19 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Derek, this soldering station is one of the best things I've ever bought - it's made it so much quicker and easier and I'm using less solder to boot as the bits are smaller.

Sorry to 'pollute' your (very interesting) thread with off-topic, but can I ask what make you went for? If someone can achieve what you have then there's nothing wrong with their new soldering iron.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Derekstuart said:

I emailed them yesterday and just had a reply back from their MD, discussing a few of my concerns. He said there was an 'issue' with one of the irons (TCS) but that has been resolved for the replacement model. The important bit is that someone replied.

I am going to order their 690D soldering station.

Sorry to 'pollute' your (very interesting) thread with off-topic, but can I ask what make you went for? If someone can achieve what you have then there's nothing wrong with their new soldering iron.

I have the TCS :( I might drop them another note and see if they will do it again - I don't mind paying a bit as it's had a lot of use, but my Dad's Antex is over 50 years old and still on its original innards and cable...

• Like 2

23 hours ago, jwealleans said:

No-one seem to have any Dullcote either.  

Hello Jonathan

I’ve just seen that E Models are advertising availability of Dullcote........in round terms £8 plus £6 post......ouch!

Jon

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Not at all, Derek.   I went for the ERSA Icon 1, mainly on Tony Gee's recommendation (in 'Wright Writes').   There are a few suppliers but it seems to be generally available for not much north of £300.

I’m a cheapskate so £300 is well north of what I’d expect to pay. I have this Holife soldering station - £36 from Amazon! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Holife-Professional-Adjustable-Temperature-Replaceable/dp/B07F3G44YJ/ref=sr_1_6?crid=53JHHBHXOVYM&dchild=1&keywords=holife+soldering+iron+station&qid=1603135147&sprefix=Holife+s%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-6

I bought it in March when I dropped my old soldering station and it broke. It’s had a lot if use during lockdown and is still performing well. I have to turn the temperature up higher than on my old (£100) station but otherwise it performs just as well.

• Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Not at all, Derek.   I went for the ERSA Icon 1, mainly on Tony Gee's recommendation (in 'Wright Writes').   There are a few suppliers but it seems to be generally available for not much north of £300.

Thanks. Since posting that I've decided to buy another Antex (690D soldering station) and see how I get on. They were very good at replying to my comments and if I do have any problems, I'm sure they'll be rectified. It will be interesting to see how it compares. I will post somewhere on RMW and drop you a link, if that's OK.

In the meantime, I've got 58 pages of reading your thread. The random pages I've clicked make for incredible reading/ viewing. You certainly have skills aplenty.

9 hours ago, Bucoops said:

I have the TCS :( I might drop them another note and see if they will do it again - I don't mind paying a bit as it's had a lot of use, but my Dad's Antex is over 50 years old and still on its original innards and cable...

Hello Bucoops. It's available here, although it appears physically different. I haven't used it myself but as I noted above, I'm really impressed with how quickly Antex responded to my comments and that should give confidence.

• Like 1

I was on my third Antex TCS50 in 18 months at around £70 a pop, without even dropping any of them.     At that rate the Ersa will have paid for itself in less than 5 years.    

Jon, I did see that Dullcote and that price.   I imagine that is why they're the only people who still have any.  I can wait.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

I was on my third Antex TCS50 in 18 months at around £70 a pop, without even dropping any of them.     At that rate the Ersa will have paid for itself in less than 5 years.    

Jon, I did see that Dullcote and that price.   I imagine that is why they're the only people who still have any.  I can wait.

Same problem with Squadron Putty , one supplier asking £8 a tube = dream on !!

Old Romford Wheels are suddenly worth £20 plus on ebay as well = chancers !!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, jwealleans said:

I was going through them at the same rate, but I must say I found Antex helpful when I contacted them. And - touch wood - I haven't had any problems since I switched to the six-pin version of the TC. Maybe the old 5-pin version was the dodgy one. Sod's law that I have now bought a spare so as to be able to make any necessary repairs....    

If it's any help, Ronseal with Precision matting agent airbrushed is the only reliable matt varnish I've ever used - courtesy of Ian Rathbone.  

3 hours ago, micklner said:

Same problem with Squadron Putty , one supplier asking £8 a tube = dream on !!

I never got on with Squadron - found it dried in the tube. I'd always prefer Miliput Superfine: if you mix it with water you can use it to fill those tiny gaps which seem to result in etched kits - apply it with a cotton bud and there's no need for sanding. A liberation. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1