West End Workbench

4 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Multiple packages arrived this week so we were able to progress on multiple fronts.

LRM-J5-6.jpg]

J5 now all but done and ready for final filling and fettling before paint.  The balance weights are to add and I need to make a handbrake upstand for the tender.   Tonight I reassembled the frames ready for pickups to be fitted and there'll be a few days of test running now i have the facility.  The mech has had a few hours on the rolling road this evening.

BB-GE-RTO.jpg

I fitted the corridor connectors to the RTO and added the little gallows brackets which are visible in the photo I have.  Incidentally, does anyone know why this still had gas cylinders even after conversion to electric light?  There was no pantry, so was it a supplementary supply to the kitchen car?

D23-primed.jpg

The first D23 also detailed and primed.  I've added roof vents and fillers, rain deflectors, buffers, the vac pipe along the solebar, jumper cables and bogie steps.  This will be ready for paint soon, so I'll have to see what spray cans I have which still work.   What are people using for BR cream these days?  I gather Vauxhall Gazelle Beige is not easily available.

If you have the spec. code for VGB, there are plenty of online outlets that will fill a rattle can for you.

John Isherwood.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

What are people using for BR cream these days? 

I use Railmatch BR Cream from their aerosol; has worked OK for me for several coaches, and then brush paint the crimson (also Railmatch) over it on the lower panels.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/11/2021 at 00:04, Bucoops said:

What is the best method of attaching a MJT aluminium roof (with whitemetal ends for vestibuled coaches) to brass bodies?

I've tried a couple of times to get things like gorilla glue to adhere to the aluminium but failed :(

There don't seem to have been many replies to this so I'll pitch in. Different context but same materials - when fixing BSL/Phoenix or Westdale aluminium sides to cast ends I use Evo-Stik and, later, reinforce it with a fillet of epoxy.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, 31A said:

I use Railmatch BR Cream from their aerosol; has worked OK for me for several coaches, and then brush paint the crimson (also Railmatch) over it on the lower panels.

With the caveat that I haven't lived in the UK for 20 years, so it might not be available any longer either, my first choice was Ford Sahara Beige from a rattle can.

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks to everyone who replied.

John - that's the final option, but as I painted the last few blood and custard Gresleys I did (over 10 years ago!) with it, I thought a different shade might be in order.

Steve - I have a very poor record with Railmatch aerosols.  No matter how closely I follow the instructions they end up clogging and becoming useless. 

John - I might have a can of Sahara Beige from the kits I did for Tom Foster.  That would solve the problem.   If not it's down to Halfords for that or Barry's primula yellow.

Had a good long session today so I tackled the longest job - cut out, formed and fitted the roof to the RTO.  Always a fiddly slow job but worth it in the end as you get a really solid structure out of the body.

BB-D431-RTO-3.jpg

I put brass angle along the top of the sides to have something to solder to (and to hide any raggy edges).   The brass sheet is then cut, annealed, rolled and attached.  Vent holes have been drilled, end handrails, alarm gear, solebar vac pipe, trussing, battery boxes, buffer stocks and V hangers attached.   Soldering is about done on this now so I can make a start on the plastic bits.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 01/07/2022 at 06:29, jwealleans said:

I ended up with a choice and the final set as shown below is RDEB for the BT-T twin and Southern Pride for the Composite.  Bill also produces the Composite and that may make an appearance in the future.   The Southern Pride one, despite their advertising, is the D190 52' vehicle, not the D304 61'6" version built for the GC Area.  

Hi Jonathan,

I'm enjoying reading your thread and am looking forward to seeing further progress on your Easterling project.

Just a small point in your earlier post quoted above. Southern Pride list their Composite, incorrectly as you state, but as D305.  D304 is the Artic Set which I ordered and have now received. You had me a little confused for a while.

I am going to use these sides with the original Artic Corridor D307 roofs which Andrew at Isinglass incorrectly produced, based on the 'official' diagram book, with domed ends as it seemed a shame to waste them. Andrew has now reissued the kit with the correct roofs and also changed the sides and ends which are now designed to fit inside the sides instead of on the ends of the sides. This is a much better arrangement and is per the prototype. I believe his current kits are now made this way. Andrew kindly provided me with replacement body and roofs from the revised kit when I spoke to him at ExpoEM. 

Keith 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Keith.   I have corrected my initial post.

I'm afraid the Easterling set has been rather neglected since the turn of the year as I've concentrated on these steel vehicles and one or two locos.   I have the kits for the remaining vehicles and it's now a matter of when they reach the front of the queue.   If I think on I'll get the vehicles I have finished out and photograph them.

Edited by jwealleans

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jwealleans said:

I've seen one or two of the Oxford GE vans pass through different workbenches over the summer.  Nice model, I have to say and the obligatory cockup isn't too noticeable or difficult to correct.

OR-GER-unfitted.jpg

Hello Jonathan, may I please ask what the 'obligatory cockup' is on this van? I have one as yet still boxed, so it'd be nice in due course to combine unboxing with correcting.

4 hours ago, Chas Levin said:

Hello Jonathan, may I please ask what the 'obligatory cockup' is on this van? I have one as yet still boxed, so it'd be nice in due course to combine unboxing with correcting.

Me to please. I haven't purchased one yet, and I  haven't yet dredged through the posts.

Of course.  Apart from the shade of grey (much too light IMO), you'll find a Morton clutch on both sides.

Of course, as m'learned colleague El Jobbo the Merciful commented on the LNER forum, you can't see both sides at once, but just knowing it was wrong would have irked.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Of course.  Apart from the shade of grey (much too light IMO), you'll find a Morton clutch on both sides.

Of course, as m'learned colleague El Jobbo the Merciful commented on the LNER forum, you can't see both sides at once, but just knowing it was wrong would have irked.

On one side, the tumbler and push rods will be in the wrong orientation.

I thought I had gathered that the other variant of this van came with the plain lever on both sides, so if you have one of each it is straightforward to sort out the dog's dinner the factory made of putting them together.

• Informative/Useful 1

Maybe I missed previous posts, but this brings me to glazing materials. My preference is for - as espoused by the venerable Jim Whittaker - slide cover glass slips. I welcome your thoughts and experiences…

8191096E-0B12-4ED3-A8D2-38BA8A32033C.jpeg

Edited by EHertsGER
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1