Railway & Modelling Obituaries

David "Tetley's" Shakespeare.

great northern

I only found out today that Dave had passed away after looking at a video on you tube and reading the comments. I like many others never knew Dave personally but had seen his railway in the modelling press and on DVD. I only communicated with him here on the forum and although obviously in a weakened state due to the treatment he was receiving one would never have known as he was always extremely up beat.

I always loved Tetlely's Mills and thought of Dave as a modeller of Pendon quailty although he himself would have probably disagreed.

May he now rest in peace.  

I always loved Tetlely's Mills and thought of Dave as a modeller of Pendon quailty although he himself would have probably disagreed.

Dave would have certainly been at the front of the queue to say his modelling was 'nowt like' Pendon. I'd agree; it was far more influential to developing modellers over the last 15 years or more than Pendon has been. Pendon's for the skilled artisan; Tetleys is for the common man. If they'd set Dave loose on Pendon it would have been finished long ago. ;)

• Like 9

Amen tp that one Andy - I'm using some ex-Tetleys points on Waverley East's carriage sidings and his attention to detail comes through even in the way they have been soldered up and each point motor fitted with 6 inches of wire to the terminals leading to a connecting strip.

IT's that kind of detail that never gets seen, but means everything runs smoothly that marks out a true modeller.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Very sad news.  I was a great admirer of his layout.  Many, many sympathies to his wife and family.  Been away from the site because my own Mother passed away with cancer last November so am only catching up now.  Terrible disease.  

Mike

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • Moderators

Last night; just when I thought I'd run out of bullhead track on a project I remembered I'd got some SMP track that I bought from Dave's estate, just enough to tide me over and get me out of a hole so bodging and getting some modelling done rather than another trip to the shop seems very apt. Nice that a small bit of Dave's project fights another day.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

I often find posts of Tetleys Mills that Dave made a few years back. His sense of fun and humour still comes through and I find myself chuckling away.

At first it caught me by surprise that his posts and comments still live on, but then it's no different to any other media be it books, films or TV after people have left this planet.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2