Railway & Modelling Obituaries

David "Tetley's" Shakespeare.

great northern

That is shocking news.

I'd spoken to him a couple of times over here and he was always very upbeat, even when not in the best of health.

Tetley Mills Mk2 was in one of the first Model Rails that I picked up when first entering this hobby back in 2009, and I always love reading through the article, not only to gain ideas that can be used, but just enjoying the way it was penned by him.

I was saddened to hear the news about his illness at the time, but absolutely amazed at his spirit being able to not only fight the cancer, but to get back to modelling while doing all the necessary treatments that were required. Truly a fine man.

A sad loss to the whole modelling world, and a light of inspiration for many, not just in modelling but in life.

What shocking and desperately sad news.

After the initial shock of hearing of Dave's diagnosis, his ongoing good humour and spirit seemed to hold such promise.

However, I know from close personal experience, this is a disease which can take cruel and sudden turns. What a dreadful end to a brave fight.

Dave Shakespeare RIP.

Condolences to Julie and Dave's family.

• RMweb Gold

This is very sad news.

I have bumped into Dave on the odd occasion as I also live just around the corner from him in Ancaster.

He did take me round the new house and layout before he received the news about his illness.

Since then like everyone his posts have inspired us all, and we will all miss his updates and wit.

The only tribute I can think of:-

Saddened of Ancaster

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

From my experience, it's absolutely dreadful indeed when a person fights back so hard against an illness that perfidious, and still loses the fight... While I did not know David myself, I am aware that he must have touched many lives with his talent and indeed his character, and perhaps that legacy will keep him alive – in a fashion.

I certainly wish his family and everyone else affected by this loss much strength for making it through this very difficult time. And I hope that David himself will now be forever free from any suffering, wherever he might be now.

• RMweb Gold

Nothing can, or perhaps should, for a while at least, lessen the pain and grief of such a loss. Like many others on here, I never knew Dave personally, but certainly admired his indomitable spirit 'from afar'. I feel sure that he now rests in peace, and in a better place, where the spirit is sustained by something far, far greater than the petty, material things of this world.

• Like 3

So sad, Dave Shakespear was a massive inspiration to many modellers alike and certainly to me when I got back in to the hobby after a long break, I must of watched his Tetleys Mills dvd over 10 times hoping one day to aspire to such high standards.

Condolences to his wife and Family at such a hard time.

Tom

Well my week has just been spoiled again with the sad news of Dave Shakespeare and my old work mate Dave Clarke and both to the big C - god life is cruel.

You will be missed a great modeller and such a nice guy. RIP

Condolences to his wife and family at this sad time.

Hugh

Seeing Tetleys Mills in the first issue of Model Rail was so inspiring to a young modeller at that time. I didn't know Dave but have followed his work on here and am sad to hear this news, especially for those close to him. Condolences to his family and friends.

We have lost one of the contemporary 'greats'. I too remember his modelling leaping out from the page in the first issue of Model Rail. I still have it and have just had an affectionate quick look through.

As if his modelling prowess wasn't enough, his showed extraordinary bravery and good humour in sharing his battle with his illness with us all.

Condolences to Julie and the family; RIP Inspirational of Ancaster.

I have only just heard this very sad news.  I had been watching with great interest his latest version of Tetley Mills, much scaled down to accommodate his illness.  So much progress made, such positivity and now this.  I admit to uttering the obscenity "Oh F*ck!" when I caught the headline of this thread and have felt choked up ever since, although I have never met Dave, but what an inspiration on many levels.  I'm always jokingly telling my wife (we have both had to call on the NHS in the last couple of years for some fairly serious stuff but nothing involving the aweful C word) that it is important at times like this that one retains one's sense of humour.  Dave, I believe, never lost his.  Top man, sadly no longer physically with us.  But such a modelling legacy left behind.  Up there with the greats of the hobby in my opinion.  My sincere condolances to his family.  Rest in peace Dave.

Edited by Brian D

There's little I can add to all of the above sentiments but simply pressing the "agree" button isn't really good enough. I can only say "well done" for the way the man chose to fight and to keep his spirits up even when the best opinions were that he stood no chance. The only grim certainty in life is that it ends in death. Providing that depression doesn't get its evil claws into us, we need to remember to make the most of each and every day for there is never any certainty that we shall see the following one.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

There's little I can add to all of the above sentiments but simply pressing the "agree" button isn't really good enough. I can only say "well done" for the way the man chose to fight and to keep his spirits up even when the best opinions were that he stood no chance. The only grim certainty in life is that it ends in death. Providing that depression doesn't get its evil claws into us, we need to remember to make the most of each and every day for there is never any certainty that we shall see the following one.

A very fitting summary and a lesson to us all. Seize the day and live life - you never know what's round the corner.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh God! This is very bad news and a shock. Dave's posts were always upbeat. I'm so sorry. Condolences to family and Rest in Peace Dave. So sad

Edited by Legend