The Kidmore Fork

Having built a significant number of micro layouts in the past six years, I have not previously tackled an "Inglenook" as originally presented by Alan Wright.  Acquiring a Bachmann HO DCC sound Alco S2 on impulse, an excuse presented itself to build a North American inglenook.  Having a board available of just 48" x 8" has dictated a 3-2-2 configuration with the headshunt deliberately curved to provide an extra inch of track length.

Track selected was Peco Code 83 and this has been laid on a self adhesive cork base available from Model Rail Solutions.    Currently both sleepers & rail have been weathered & ballasting, which will be a mixture of light brown and grey, will be completed this week. 

To hand was a Bachmann Low Relief modern industrial unit & I consider this sufficiently generic, once a few bits / signs have been added, to be used in a North American scene.  The bulk of the rest of the backscene (6mm MDF) will be filled with Walthers low relief kits.  The backboard has been painted in my normal fashion, two coats of white emulsion to seal the wood followed by aerosol sprays of sky blue, grey, & white.

Further layouts in the "Kidmore" series may be found at www.kidmorengauge.weebly.com   . Despite the website title, they are not all N Gauge !

post-9265-0-37091600-1408264496.jpg

post-9265-0-89268400-1408264507.jpg

Chris. Wagon (car) length will be restricted to forty-footers. More pictures soon, have completed a Walthers flat but am having problems with a point motor so until that is fixed I don't intend to fix any buildings down. Hopefully sorted by next weekend. In the meantime, I will do some wagon weathering.

• 1 month later...

Despite a couple of weeks away, I have been able to progress "Kidmore Fork" by weathering track & some stock.  Most low relief buildings have also been fixed in position leaving a couple of inches at each end for finishing.  The kitbashed Walthers warehouse has (I hope) been improved by adding to the inside a photograph of a factory interior and blue LED lighting powered by no more than a PP3 battery.  Further work is needed on the foreground groundwork although I may add a building to the LHS as a scene break.

post-9265-0-75222600-1411730140.jpg

post-9265-0-65119800-1411730150.jpg

post-9265-0-42909200-1411730160.jpg

The NO PARKING sign painted on the roller shutter might be a tad irrelevant ;)[/quote

The intent behind the sign is to indicate that lorry trailers may not park there as it will block other vehicular access to the rest of "Buds Trucking" . Don't you just live negative comments on this Forum, constructive criticism is of course more than welcome !

It wasn't intended negatively, simply seems you have a no parking sign where currently there is no access for anything other than railway traffic anyway, as the rails aren't levelled in concrete to allow trucks up to the loading bay. I thought it was a funny oversight.

• 1 month later...

Switcher1.

This one has taken a bit of a backseat lately owing to exhibition commitments with other layouts & the final prep of a new N gauge one for the Maidenhead show in early January. Now you have reminded me, I will post some new images within the next week.

Having had a bit of spare time this weekend have managed to do a couple of progress photos, although as stated above progress has actually been slow on this one owing to exhibition commitments with other layouts.  Have added a new building & corrugated fence at the far LHS although am not convinced re the building; may have to rethink.  The road looks a bit too bright as seen on the screen so will tone this down with ModelMates light grey spray.  The "blank canvas" at the front of the layout should accommodate a couple of dumped / scrapped cars and bits & pieces.  The two point motor switches  will probably be hidden in a three wall kit bashed Pikestuff building......unless anyone has a better idea ?

post-9265-0-87529400-1415634266.jpg

post-9265-0-00296100-1415634287.jpg

post-9265-0-61537600-1415634365.jpg

Archived