LMS diag 1674 Bolster wagon livery questions

Spitfire2865

Hello. I recently bought a chivers bolster kit and while assembling it, it gives no indication if the bolsters were painted or left in plain unpainted wood. I have not been able to find any photos of such wagon.

Could anyone help?

And if anyone knows how exactly a load would be chained down, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Hello. I recently bought a chivers bolster kit and while assembling it, it gives no indication if the bolsters were painted or left in plain unpainted wood. I have not been able to find any photos of such wagon.

Could anyone help?

And if anyone knows how exactly a load would be chained down, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Every bolster (or at least the wooden parts thereof) that I've seen has been in in unpainted wood finish. As to how a load would be secured; it depends on the nature of the load. This (BR) publication may have some pointers:-

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/Booklet_BR20426_Issue.pdf

There are also a couple of books which have illustrations of loads and loading techniques which may be of use:-

'Freight Wagons of the GWR and BR (WR) ; Their Loads and Loading' which I think was published by Oxford

'British Railways Wagons; their Loads and Loadings' (two volumes) published by Silver Link. This pair are written by a pair of ex-BR Load Inspectors.

• 6 years later...

You may also notice spoked at one end and 3 hole disc at the other, on all sorts of wagons. 

Generally (i.e. unless your chosen photo shows otherwise) steel solebars and everything below them were black, wooden solebars were body colour with black ironwork. There were exceptions both ways though, often dependant on which works last painted it. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Adam said:

I reckon that's about 9 ton

It does look like a 9; however there is a photo of wagon No 231331 of D1674 in An Illustrated History of LMS Wagons  (Essery, OPC, 1981, plate 218) as built, with a tare of 8-16-0, and most of the other photos show a tare of around the eight and a half to nine tons mark.

The wagon in the Paul Bartlett photograph is a D2067, a later and rather heavier design.

D

Edited by Darryl Tooley
Wrong diagram number
  • Thanks 1