Leamington Spa & my small part

steve fay

I think it was added again recently when the station was refurbished,

post-5983-0-51936700-1408303957_thumb.jpg

One of Petes latest Models a Princess built by Nick Dunhill, this has to be the best model loco I've seen in 7mm. She seen here being tested on the layouts heaviest train

post-5983-0-56687400-1408304119_thumb.jpg

Here I am at work on the station, a while ago now.

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 11

Overall the work is amazing.

You might want to take another look at the station lettering though, unless the spacing and alignment is as per the real thing. The kerning (spacing between the letters) is way off in places and the baseline dips and rises from true. This may of course be prototypical but if not the easiest way would be to get it right on the computer first then print this out before making up a jig that will ensure it's spot on.

Overall the work is amazing.

You might want to take another look at the station lettering though, unless the spacing and alignment is as per the real thing. The kerning (spacing between the letters) is way off in places and the baseline dips and rises from true. This may of course be prototypical but if not the easiest way would be to get it right on the computer first then print this out before making up a jig that will ensure it's spot on.

I'm afraid I wasn't there when the lettering was done but il have a look when I back up in a few weeks time

post-5983-0-00346800-1408380887_thumb.jpg

Back last year we fitted the lower canopy, the laser cut kit for this was very flimsy so we adapted the metal version from the first scratch built station, it took a fare bit of fetling but we got it to fit and being metal we could screw it on to the main building.

post-5983-0-44347400-1408381007_thumb.jpg

The turntable area has been a bit of a saga for a while so last year I took my turn table base and table up so we could get on with the shed area. There turn table will have a full stepper motor as it's quite a distant to reach so to drive by eye would be difficult. I think they are using the same method as the one on Lime street station.

My table is now home and my replacement base has been ordered from metal smith and should be with me shortly ( I hope ) there seems to be a resurgence in turntables at the moment and metal smith are very busy. The shed scene does lend its self well in O gauge especially as some where to show case your models.

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a couple of video's from the Blyth & Tyne MRS visit to Pete's 'Leamington Spa' from last year -

The second video shows my J27 65880 (Which was not DCC at the time) on a rake of 38, 21T hoppers. Looks rather nice having a bit of the NE mixing with the GWR.

Regards

Chris

• Like 6

That grasswork looks first class Steve.Can you describe how you did it please and what material is the blue coloured former.

The grass is teddy bear fur which is cut down with scissors then a hair cutting razor. It coloured using green poster paints and then singed with a blow torch.

The foam is insulation board similar to king span that's used in the building industry.