My Laser Cutting workbench and my odyssey in model buildings.

You may have already covered this previously but can I ask what CAD software you are using.

I use QCAD. Its cheap, inexpensive to keep up to date. I really recommend it over more expensive packages. 

Very easy to learn and has lots of built in functionality that is not seen in even the most expensive cad packages.

I'm helping out with some of the buildings for Love Lane, an S7 layout based on a fictional location in East London.

Today I received some photos of the signal box drawn by Mike Carless. 

post-1485-0-61360300-1466448225_thumb.jpg

post-1485-0-20095000-1466448245_thumb.jpg

Laser cut from Ply, MDF and card. The windows are cut from some of my old business cards.

Won't be long now until the paint shop.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I use the paid version. You'll need to if you intend to use it for sending off the files for laser cutting as the free version does not save the layers.

What sort thing are you drawing up?

Thanks for the info about the paid version, I would like to draw simple structures like brick bridges then maybe advance to greater things. To be honest I would like to be able to take advantage of new processes like 3D printing and laser cutting, it seems a shame to miss out on it.

Yes, I use the paid version. You'll need to if you intend to use it for sending off the files for laser cutting as the free version does not save the layers.

I don't think it is quite as clear cut as that. I use the free version of QCAD and have no problem creating and saving layers. In the latest version think that you can only create new layers when the pro version add-on is active i.e. for the first 15 or 20 minutes. but once those layers are created you can load and save the drawings with the layers intact even in the free version.

That said it is an excellent drawing package and buying the pro version is to be applauded and good value for money (IMHO).

Thanks for the info about the paid version, I would like to draw simple structures like brick bridges then maybe advance to greater things. To be honest I would like to be able to take advantage of new processes like 3D printing and laser cutting, it seems a shame to miss out on it.

Would be cool to have some form of basic tutorial maybe? How to create say a simple brick face ready for cutting or something.  Anyway not used Qcad before but I shall give it a look

Brilliant cheers,  Doesn't seem too difficult from what I saw, But I guess you gotta know what your doing. 

I taught myself over a few weeks. I found it easier than other CAD software I tried. Loads of tutorials on youtube too.

Wonderfull model but why have you hung the door upside down in picture No four ? The bracing is at the wrong angle and will cause the door to sag.

Allan.

You're not the first to notice that and rectified it has been!!

May I ask how you did the angled bricks? I need to do this for my signal box..

And may I ask what glue/s are you using?

Difficult to be honest and just now I'm keeping the exact process under my hat but it does involve angled cuts.

But the glue is easy, I recommend this;

post-1485-0-05995900-1469135304_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...